Indoor only cat flea preventative.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just looking for some opinions. I have an indoor only cat that is around a year old. I started her on Advantage, and then switched to Revolution thinking about ear mites, heart-worms etc. I am on a fixed income, which just got lowered due to a long bout with Covid 19 and recovery. My question is this, I have looked a the cost of Revolution, which is pretty high, and thinking about returning to Advantage 2 mainly for flea control. Wondering how other cat lovers feel about this.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Advantage for my indoor cat, I find it works brilliantly.
I also have an outdoor cat so I always worry about him bringing fleas into the home so treat both every 3weeks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. You'll get varying opinions on this regarding treatments for heartworm and ear mites, etc for an indoor only cat. I can only tell you that up until last year, Feeby (16+ yo) never had any sort of treatment. She is indoor only, but does have access to a screened in patio. Since she somehow got fleas last year, she has been on Advantage II and no more. At her age, I am a bit afraid to add more insecticides, but given none of this has been an issue in my area until the fleas came along, I am comfortable with sticking to just that.

Have you looked into Advantage Multi? It covers everything that Revolution does, but it might be less expensive.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are indoor only but don't get any parasite preventative. I think down South has more issues with parasites, though, so a monthly preventative is a good idea. You can ask your vet about the pros/cons of different products that would work for the specific parasites in your area.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have only used flea prevention as needed on indoor cats. Right now with the high heat and humidity there is a flea issue and so I used Revolution for the first time in years. Previously I had used Advantage II but had an incident of tapeworms a couple months ago so asked the vet for a switch.

Applied Revolution 2 days ago, properly on three cats who were calm enough to stand there for the entire application, and this morning spent about an hour picking fleas off of them. To be honest, with Advantage I never saw a flea on the cat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Forty five years of indoor only cats and I have never used flea prevention. Several of the cats came with fleas and mites but once treated they were gone for good.