Indoor Cats Peeing And Pooping Everywhere

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 9 indoor cats in a small condo. When we only had 8 everything was OK. Then I brought home a male from someone who had gotten evicted. It was supposed to be only for a month or so but it has been almost 2 years. That male cat tipped the balance.

One of my younger male cats started spraying on the floor length curtains and from that all the cats have started peeing and pooping on the cat beds, the rug and spraying the curtains.

I know one of the problems is that my husband has become disabled and does not clean the one automatic box as often as he used to.

I plan to do the following:

Get a large container (like an underbed storage box) to use as an extra litter box. I will scoop morning and evening.

Wash the curtains and then pin them up high enough that they will not be sprayed on.

Tape up puppy training pad on the window and walls where they are spraying and remove them when they are sprayed on.

Replace all the cat beds.

Take out the rug which has been ruined, leaving a wood floor which can be easily cleaned.

Put down "scat mats" in front of the curtains. They are mats which have soft "prongs" which are uncomfortable to the cat but soft enough not to hurt them.

Put a "calming collar" on the male cat which is the most territorial.

I have tried Feliway with no success.

Any other suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

You have a great plan of action, bless you!

An enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle is good. A blacklight will help you find any other areas.

Try MusicForCats or the app Relax My Cat to promote more calm.

Cat Attract litter might help ensure everyone stays better acquainted with the litter boxes. It's a bit expensive, try just sprinkling it on top of your regular litter.

I can't really tell from your post how many litterboxes there are -only two?, and I realize you don't have endless space available but it's suggested to have one litterbox per cat. If you only have two boxes at this point, try and work in another couple.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I had not thought about Cat Attract, although I have used it for foster kittens.

I assume I can get a black light from Amazon?

I will get some Nature's Miracle for the curtains, but I intend to pin them up until everyone gets retrained.

I simply do not have room for 9 boxes. I may be able to put another larger one in one room. I have a covered one I could use. That would be 3. We have an automatic box, which my husband used to clean every 3 hours or so. That was OK. But due to increasing depression and decreasing mobility, he only cleans it once now, which is not enough. He refuses to abandon the automatic box due to mental health issues. He cannot handle any change. I have to choose my battles.

After I have implemented my plan, with these changes, I will let you know how it is going.

I am going out of town for a week Aug 31- Sept. 8. When I get back I will start on this project.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
assume I can get a black light from Amazon?
yes, and other stores such as home improvement stores as well. Double-check the reviews just to be sure, I saw a mention by someone that some blacklights are better than others.

He cannot handle any change. I have to choose my battles.
:vibes::bouquet: you are completely awesome :hugs:
the third box would be good, I think. I'm not sure, it may add to your workload but it might help ease it in that you might only have to clean once a day...I'm sending positive thoughts for you on that !! :crossfingers:

Try some music in the meantime -i hope your husband is ok with it, maybe some low volume classical harp music?