Indoor cats + new dog on the scene. Flea/tick protection for cats?

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This weekend, my girlfriend is adopting a dog (Sheppard/Labrador retriever).

He's 7 yrs old, 50 pounds and a real snuggle buns. Grew up around cats so that's not a problem.

Since we'll obviously be taking the dog for hikes etc., we'll be giving him 'Revolution', or 'Frontline Plus', 'Heartguard' etc.

What product (if any) would you give to the indoor cats?

Since I have a cat as well and am concerned about fleas (April/May onwards), mites, ticks etc. when I bring the dog over to my place for a visit.

Last edited by a moderator:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I personally like Advantage. There is Advantage II that covers fleas and Advantage Multi that covers fleas, ticks, heartworm, etc...
Revolution for cats is very similar to Advantage Multi.

I have heard from several vets that Advantage Multi is one of the best products for dogs. Revolution for dogs is not the best (just from word of mouth.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback.

The breeder whom I got my cat from had used Advantage Multi; my cat had a pretty bad scratching reaction to it, to the point of bleeding on the back of her neck. (application spot).

So, I think I need to find something with a different active ingredient.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I see. You could give Comfortis a try. It is a pill that is given. I've used it with ferals and cats with severe flea issues it works REALLY well (I crush the pill and mix it with food.) I can't use it with my own cats as I have too many food allergy issues (the pill is beef flavored, but also contains pork.)

You could give Revolution a try as well.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well that's encouraging  re: Comfortis.   I'll look into that.

My concern is the new dog transferring critters to the cat, so I suppose ear mites would be a concern as well, in which case Revolution might be an option.