Indoor Cats In Winter

Jenasieg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

• Hello, My indoor only cat got out on Christmas Eve, I haven't seen any sign of her since and we live in the country so there aren't a lot of neighbors to talk to. We live in mn and yesterday it rained all day and turned to snow overnight... I know she is not acclimated to the cold and I have left the garage open with a heating pad and a blanket along with food water and a live trap, but still no sign of her.
    I know cats will stay in one place if they're scared for days or even weeks but if the weather is deadly will she move somewhere safe? How long can an indoor cat with stand the cold? It's already 15 degrees and it's looking to get to about 9 tonight
    I've been leaving the garage open still and plan to do so for the next month but I'm just feeling a little hopeless that the weather is going to be the final factor I've also put food around the house and spread litter around and put a box in the garage... I'm not sure what else to do... Or if I'm holding onto false hope... I've been pretty tore up about it
    Thanks for the help

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your escapee. I hope she returns soon.

When I was in the process of bringing a semi-feral cat indoors after feeding her and providing shelter for three years, she learned the sound of shaking the treat container. If she was anywhere near by, she would come running when she heard that noise! Like DreamerRose said above, indoor cats who get out usually stay close.

Are there any animal rescue organizations or SPCAs or local vets that list lost and found animals? Maybe someone found her and turned her in. Don't give up! Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenasieg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure where I could borrow a camera but I've started asking around. This morning we had tiny cat feet in the snow on the porch where I left out food! I'm hoping it's her and I'm going to move the live trap up to the porch and I'll set an alarm throughout the night to get up and check it and make sure she doesn't freeze if she gets trapped

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also go out at night (and day for that matter) and sit for a while with a bag/can of treats while shaking them and also calling to her. If you do this, you need to stay there a while in case it takes her a bit of time to get to you.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where I could borrow a camera but I've started asking around. This morning we had tiny cat feet in the snow on the porch where I left out food! I'm hoping it's her and I'm going to move the live trap up to the porch and I'll set an alarm throughout the night to get up and check it and make sure she doesn't freeze if she gets trapped
If you are putting the trap out in the open I would put a tarp or something over it to keep the snow out and also create a nice dark place that is more inviting to check out and hide in.

I know you said you put litter out, but did you put used litter out or fresh? The benefit of putting litter out is the cat can smell it's own scent in the litter if it's been used. You can also try putting a piece of dirty laundry outside that has your smell on it, even if it's just an old shirt or something you can sleep with or wear for a day to get your smell all over it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask friends who may be hunters if they have a trail camera you can borrow. That way you can see who/what is making the tracks in the snow.

Jenasieg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No luck last night :( I put a blanket around the sides of the trap and one inside with a heating pad under it. I downloaded the aurther app that works like a tail can with another device but it kept on shutting of during the night so I'll have to need around with the settings on it to prevent that, but no sign of anything while it was on.
It was pretty windy and cold all night, I hope being in the country with so much open space doesn't make it more difficult

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry she hasn't come home yet. Do you think someone might have found her and is taking care of her? Do you have anything like Nextdoor or any online neighborhood forums where you could post info? Any neighbors you could call and ask them to keep a watch? Or local animal lost and founds? Any place to post her picture? Any garages or outbuildings you could survey to see if she has hunkered down? I'll be thinking about you and hoping she is home soon.

Jenasieg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, we handed it flyers in the surrounding farms mailboxes, put one up in town (which is about 10 miles) at the grocery store and I called local (40 min away in each direction) animal shelters, I also posted on a Facebook page but the people who see that are still going to be pretty far out, nothing is real close to us. I'm really hoping she made it over to another farms outbuilding and find shelter but I'm not sure if she would venture that far (though maybe if chased)
The cold weather scares me the most but we're not giving up!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are doing everything you can, and keep it all up!! But, I would also drive to each of the surrounding neighbors and actually knock on their door and speak with them. A flyer is a great idea, but actually talking to them can make the difference in their attitude/concern about your lost cat.

Jenasieg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What should you do if you trap a ferel cat, will he prevent my cat from coming home if it's his territory?

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Praying your baby comes home. I have been there and it's so hard❤

Jenasieg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What should you do if you trap a ferel cat, will he prevent my cat from coming home if it's his territory?
Also has anyone tried my last Kitty website where they make calls (like an Amver alert) to your neighbors in a 5 mile radius?!

cathmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are putting the trap out in the open I would put a tarp or something over it to keep the snow out and also create a nice dark place that is more inviting to check out and hide in.

I know you said you put litter out, but did you put used litter out or fresh? The benefit of putting litter out is the cat can smell it's own scent in the litter if it's been used. You can also try putting a piece of dirty laundry outside that has your smell on it, even if it's just an old shirt or something you can sleep with or wear for a day to get your smell all over it.
Yes, putting used little out helps! My Missy got out last year and she had been outside about 6 or 7 hours, I put some used cat litter outside and within an hour she was home. I hope your baby comes home. And, do not worry, remember cats lived for years without human intervention. They instinctively know how to take care of themselves. I know it is still scary so hang in there.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you printed up any fliers to post in your neighborhood or gone door to door with the fliers? There is always a chance someone took him in. Is he microchipped?