Indoor cats and vaccinations?

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was having a conversation with a work friend the other day as she is looking for a kitten. I told her that our local shelter has a lot of kittens at the moment but she said that she wouldn't get a kitten from a shelter because they visit your house and make you sign to say they will be spayed/neutered. She is a long-term cat owner and has always got her cats fixed but she doesn't vaccinate them and they are all outdoor cats?? She asked me why I bother to have my cats vaccinated if they are confined to an enclosure.THEN another colleague said she never vaccinates her cat either!! Anyway that's another story and I didn't want to get into a heated debate with someone I have to work with every day.

My question is that I have always had my cats vaccinated each year and although they are not strictly indoor (they have an enclosure, as some of you already know) do they actually need to be vaccinated? I know that cats catch things through fighting and catching prey but can they catch somthing airborne also?

I know a lot of you have indoor/confined cats. Do you vaccinate?

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was having a conversation with a work friend the other day as she is looking for a kitten. I told her that our local shelter has a lot of kittens at the moment but she said that she wouldn't get a kitten from a shelter because they visit your house and make you sign to say they will be spayed/neutered. She is a long-term cat owner and has always got her cats fixed but she doesn't vaccinate them and they are all outdoor cats?? She asked me why I bother to have my cats vaccinated if they are confined to an enclosure.THEN another colleague said she never vaccinates her cat either!! What is it with these people! Anyway that's another story and I didn't want to get into a heated debate with someone I have to work with every day.

My question is that I have always had my cats vaccinated each year and although they are not strictly indoor (they have an enclosure, as some of you already know) do they actually need to be vaccinated? I know that cats catch things through fighting and catching prey but can they catch somthing airborne also?

I know a lot of you have indoor/confined cats. Do you vaccinate?
Our cats are Strictly Indoor   but  we do vax  for Rabies  .. There is always a chance a Bat could get in the house .. Also if our cats  happened to get outside I want to make sure they are protected ..  I do not vax for anything other than Rabies ..

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine are indoor but they go out on a leash. We've always vaccinated them every year. Our vet is good about not giving them everything under the sun but just the ones they need. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I no longer vaccinate my cats, with the exception of the rabies vaccine (non-adjuvanted), as it is obligatory due to by-laws in my area. There have been studies conducted that support that many vaccines last longer than one year, as long as 7-9 years in the system, and so the need to vaccinate every year is just not necessary, and imo, puts unnecessary strain on the immune system.

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly, there is only one type of vaccine that we give our cat, but he's getting the last dose in a few months. It's against FCV and FVR. 

We also gave him something against worms, but we're not sure if we're going keep giving it to him

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add to my earlier comments to say, that the decision to vaccinate is really a personal choice. I recognize that everyone has their own reasons and circumstances for opting to vaccinate. Being aware of the options is good so that you can make an informed choice as to what is best for your pet.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I vaccinate minimally - the basic FVRCP twice for kittens, rabies at least once because vets in my area won't spay or neuter until it's been done. I don't revaccinate adults because studies have shown that one effective vaccination last many years, probably for life. I don't do Felv or FIV because my indoor cats are not likely to be exposed to those illnesses.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
While I am not sure of the frequency (pretty slim) I have known someone who has a friend whose indoor cat contracted FeLV (leukemia) from a friendly outside cat. The outside cat was intact and do not know if the indoor cat came in contact with urine or mucus from the outdoor cat. But, it is possible.

All URI (calicivirus, rhinovirus and panleukopenia) are airborne transmitted. The FVRCP vac helps protect against many strains of these viruses.

Most of my indoor kitties get annual rabies (PureVax) and get FVRCP every 3 yrs. the ones that do not are my 16 yr old (his system cannot tolerate vaccs anymore) and a 2 yr old that had an anaphylactic reaction to his FVRCP vac earlier this year. He also had a moderate reaction to his Rabies vac (vomiting.) He is exempt from FVRCP...have yet to decide what to do about the Rabies...it is required and he is a known biter. =\. Though, he has gotten MUCH better about it (he was a feral kitten.)

Last edited:

keyshaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We discussed this issue with our vets.  We have 2 special needs cats (one is deaf with vision problems, the other is IBD/CRF).  She told me that the IBD/CRF one should have the vaccinations against anything airborne, because she is at the vet so much.  And people bring in animals with the very problems she does NOT need. That is all we vaccinate her for, the other gets nothing.  Strictly indoor unless on a leash and harness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm certainly food for thought isn't it. I was always under the impression that having your cat vaccinated was the best option for the cat. At least that is what I've always been told. I totally agree that it's a personal choice and I've never given a thought as to what went into the vaccines themselves. My cats have purevax which I now know does not contain adjuvants.

I think we will carry on with the boosters for now because if we ever need to put the cats into boarding they won't be accepted unless they have an up to date vaccination card.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely food for thought!

I recently had my indoor cat vaccinated with the FVRCP vaccine (PureVax), as she was due for it. We adopted her at Christmas and without any specific details to her medical history. We knew she was spayed, and had her rabies. 

A few days afterwards, she had a reaction to the vaccine that really makes me question whether I'll do it again. The reaction was bad enough to have to bring her back to the vet for fluids, an anti-inflammatory, and an antihistamine injection. I do leash walk her outside, so if anything I might just keep up with the rabies vaccine, and nothing else!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Current AVMA recommendation for FVCRP vaccination, after the kitten series and a booster at a year, is "no more often than once every 3 years". Any vet still doing it annually is going against his/her own organization :dk:.

I have found that cats vaccinated frequently seem to always have chronic illnesses. Personally I do kitten shots or one round for an adult stray, then never again.

keywestkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I volunteer at a shelter. I vaccinate because I never know what I may carry home. Otherwise a strictly indoor cat needs rabies only.

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been told that indoor cats should be vaccinated against feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirosis and panleucopenia. This because they are highly contagious and can be brought home with the owner when stepping in cat urine or feces or petting another cat. I've always been under the impression that Americans wear their shoes inside (or maybe that's just on tv???), so in that case, it's even more important to give your cat the shots. I think two or three shots are required for it to work for ever. 

Since I walk my cat and we meet a lot of other cats, we of course have to give him this vaccine.

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing I don't understand: why do you all give your cats vaccine against rabies? I get if you live somewhere where there is rabies, but why give it to the indoor cats?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vaccines do take toll on the kidneys, and there is always a risk involved, so you should evaluate whether or not you need vaccines and which ones. Many owners will only vaccinate a minimal amount, especially if the cat is indoors.

Here's an article written by a vet that doesn't vaccinate very often.

http://catinfo.org/?link=vaccines

One thing I don't understand: why do you all give your cats vaccine against rabies? I get if you live somewhere where there is rabies, but why give it to the indoor cats?
Many governments have laws that require vaccination.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely food for thought!

I recently had my indoor cat vaccinated with the FVRCP vaccine (PureVax), as she was due for it. We adopted her at Christmas and without any specific details to her medical history. We knew she was spayed, and had her rabies. 

A few days afterwards, she had a reaction to the vaccine that really makes me question whether I'll do it again. The reaction was bad enough to have to bring her back to the vet for fluids, an anti-inflammatory, and an antihistamine injection. I do leash walk her outside, so if anything I might just keep up with the rabies vaccine, and nothing else!
Nora1, I'm sorry to hear that your cat had a reaction to her vaccination. I hope she had a quick recovery.

I was talking to my mother about all of our cats we had when I was growing up (we had 5) and three dogs. Only two of the cats used to go outside and they all lived up till they were 18-21 years old and guess what? None of them had vaccinations apart from when they were kittens. I didn't know that. Now I really don't know what to do for the best. My boy who went to the bridge last August had abdominal cancer and he was only 13 and looking at his vaccination card he didn't always have PureVax. I read through the link you provided Raintyger, very informative and has really got me thinking. My views have certainly changed since last week.

I think I will have to dig out my cat insurance documents to see if it says anything about non vaccinating.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nora1, I'm sorry to hear that your cat had a reaction to her vaccination. I hope she had a quick recovery.

I was talking to my mother about all of our cats we had when I was growing up (we had 5) and three dogs. Only two of the cats used to go outside and they all lived up till they were 18-21 years old and guess what? None of them had vaccinations apart from when they were kittens. I didn't know that. Now I really don't know what to do for the best. My boy who went to the bridge last August had abdominal cancer and he was only 13 and looking at his vaccination card he didn't always have PureVax. I read through the link you provided Raintyger, very informative and has really got me thinking. My views have certainly changed since last week.

I think I will have to dig out my cat insurance documents to see if it says anything about non vaccinating.
Thank you @KittyWhiskers! It took a solid, full 3 days for her to recover and be 100% herself again. I was so happy she was able to recover! It was scary to see her not drink or eat her wet food (which she always gobbles up). 

I'm sorry to hear about your boy crossing the bridge at a young age!

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Thank you @KittyWhiskers! It took a solid, full 3 days for her to recover and be 100% herself again. I was so happy she was able to recover! It was scary to see her not drink or eat her wet food (which she always gobbles up).

I'm sorry to hear about your boy crossing the bridge at a young age!
Oh poor baby, I can understand why you would question weather you would vaccinate again after that. luckily none of mine have had a reaction after theirs, they tend to just be a little quiet for a while after.

Yes my boy was young and after reading all the info on vaccines it really makes me wonder weather they may have played a part in his cancer. Guess I'll never know.