Indoor Cat?

marriedmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya, I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I don't know what is going on at the minute but cats are going missing in my local area. I've had 2 go missing in 5 months. Anyway my question is, I was thinking of getting a young kitten and having it as a house cat as I can't bear to lose anymore. How do you go about keeping a cat as an indoor cat? Thanks in advance

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the cat has never been outside, he wont lack it...  So safest may be to buy a purebred cat where you KNOW they will be contend with living inside.  But also moggies are fine with livining only inside if used to it from beginning.

Or if the cat has experience the outside may be horrible, like a rescued homeless...

Make sure the cat has plenty to do, scratching posts, etc... A netted balcony works usually fine!

congrats to your decision to have your kitty as pure inside.   :)

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marriedmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to look at a 5 week old kitten tomorrow (ready in 3 weeks) but wanted as much information as possible about having an indoor cat. I've had cats all my life but they have only ever been outdoor/indoor cats.

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats have been indoors only. One of them would occasionally try to get out. I would just pick him up an bring him right back in. The other cats never even put one paw outside! They liked being indoors. All were shelter rescues. Start with a young cat so he gets used to being inside. Don't let him get a taste of the outdoors. Play hunting games with him a lot and give him lots of attention and toys to keep him content. I have heard that Ragdolls are well suited to be indoor cats and most don't even want to go out.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome! If you get a kitten it is very easy to make it an indoor cat. Obviously it will need all its physical needs looked after, with litter trays and a safe space where it can retreat and feel secure. And a house system that prevents it escaping to the outdoors- secure doors ( the ideal is at least 2 doors between its living space and hte outdoors) and strong window screens that cannot be pushed through. Everyone in the house must be extra careful and become used to closing all doors behind them.

But the real key to a happy indoor cat is stimulation. You will need to provide plenty of toys, and cat trees or other furniture which the cat can climb - all cats like to observe the world from point as high as possible. Access to windowsills with a good view of gardens or other interesting aspects helps too - maybe a bird feeder outside a window to provide hours of amusement. Catproof your home by removing breakables from all surfaces - indoor cats have to run around to let off energy and you don't want it jumping on your best vase. Cat scratching posts are important too - an indoor cat must be trained not to scratch furniture, and you will need to find out what kind of scrathing post your cat likes - there are several types. Clipping nails or using Softpaws can help protect your home too. Do not be tempted to go for a declaw, even if your vet suggests it - it is an inhumane process that is illegal in many places and can lead to other behaviour problems (forgive me if I am preaching tot he converted here but it is a topic that comes up here regularly), cats can be trained not to scratch inappropriately.

The first weeks are the most crucial for training against the problems that can ruin the relationship between you and your cat - particularly scratching and peeing. Watch the cat carefully and stop any such behaviour at once before it gets ingrained by redirecting at once.

There are many posts here that will help you if you do a search on indoor cats, and please feel free to ask any questions you may have as you choose your kitten and get to know him/her. Good luck.

marriedmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks girls. A ragdoll is my dream cat but unfortunately my husband will never agree to me spending that much on a cat.LOL.

I'm quite nervous about the thought of a house cat but I can't bear the heartbreak of another going missing.

How do you manage in summer with windows open etc? The front door wouldnt be a problem as we have a porch but I've only a single back door.

marriedmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also do you treat them like outdoor cats? Neutering? Vaccinations? Microchipped? Etc

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is making you most nervous? Maybe I can help. When my windows are open the screens are secure and my cats are content to just sit in front of them. They don't try to rip them or anything. If you find a kitty that has always been an indoor cat that might ease your worries.

marriedmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess the fear of the unknown? It's different to usual. We don't have window screens as we are in the UK

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats came microchipped from the shelter. I like this just in case they ever got out. Rabies vaccines are the law in my state so they got that too as well as the regular shots kittens need. Your vet can recommend shots for indoor cats. I always adopt nuetered cats.. The will cut down DRASTICALLY on their desire to go outside. It can also make them calmer and much less likely to spray. None of my cats have ever sprayed. You could talk to someone who fosters cats and they could recommend one for you to adopt that likes it indoors.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome!

The shelter that I adopted my two from actually requires in the contract that you are going to keep the cat indoors. It isn't difficult AT ALL. Have toys, windows, and preferably some sort of high places where the cat can jump. I finally was able to get a 6-foot cat condo about a year ago, and they love it. They also love the top of my entertainment center and the top of the fridge.

Holland has never been outside since I've owned her, other than in her carrier to travel in the car. Daymon gave me a scare one night I got home from work and he darted out the door when I got home. I was able to get him back in within 5 minutes, and I'm pretty sure I'd heard a cat outside, so I suspect that's what made him want out. That was shortly after I adopted him, and he hasn't shown any interest in going out since.

I live in a little 1 bedroom, 500-square-foot apartment with two cats and they are happy as can be.

Definitely neuter/spay PLEASE. Cats will go absolutely crazy indoors if they have the urge to mate.

Bottom line: cats can be completely happy indoors. Have toys, have high spaces, have appropriate scratching surfaces (please don't declaw!), keep litterbox clean, feed on a schedule, and you'll be just fine.

Good luck!

marriedmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. You've all made it seem much less nerve racking. I will definately neuter it etc

marriedmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took this little guy home today :) Half a day later and still no name. Have you any unique ideas please? Thanks
Lo

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a cutie!  A name will come to you, and it will be the perfect name, no doubt.

It has been said that the average cat that goes outdoors freely lives about 6 months.  The average cat that is kept indoors lives about 16 years.  Of course, those numbers won't necessarily apply to any individual cat, but the indoor cat is exposed to much less disease, fewer parasites, no predator (animal or human), no cars, no cruel humans, no hunters, no bratty kids, nobody who might trap them and take them to the shelter, just generally an easier life.  The cat may not agree with your decision to keep him indoors, but sometimes we humans, who have the ability to weigh the risks, need to act like adults to our furry kids.

The cats should have the normal vaccinations, and rabies vaccinations are required in most places. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is more difficult in the UK, I agree. Window screens are very uncommon and as the norm is to let cats out, your friends and family will pester you to let him out. I am British, but I meet the same thing here in France, where I now live. I am called cruel (only semi-jokingly) by most people I know. But I had a cat poisoned by a neighbour 6 years ago, and now only 2 of mine go out, because they are naturally out-door cats and came to me that way.
I have had window screens made for all my windows - a local carpenter did it with metallic mesh in wooden frames, available at DIY places. They open so I can open the windows. Otherwise you will never keep a cat inside.

He looks a little bundle of curiosity and fun, so you will need to get down to cat-proofing as soon as you can!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW, any cat can learn to live indoors and not even bother with open doors. I have two like that: Da Lip came in during one bad winter, and spent two years following me out and in then he decided in was just perfect and rarely even gets within 5' of the door when I come in. Hissy came in two years ago and spends her time in the ktichen, never even goes to the porch where the door is. All it takes with most is time, and some adjust so quickly it's shocking

kiwicatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.. I moved from NZ (no window screens) to Canada with two cats that were always outdoor cats.  We moved to an apartment where they obviously had to then be indoor cats.

The main thing I found was that you must give them plenty to 'do' - scratching posts, boxes, bags and paper etc to play with, food and water at regular times.  

When we then returned to NZ we still kept them as indoor cats... just opened the windows enough to let air in, but not enough to let them out.  It is a bit trickier but it can be done, and your cats will soon adjust to their new routine.  

I just lost my 'kiwi' cat of 13 years.. he never cared about being outside after a while.. he was content and happy with his toys, investigating bags, shoes, boxes, anything. 

I've even seen some people here take their cats on walks on a harness and lead ... yes it looks funny, but the cat gets to go outside - if that is a concern.

Cute photo by the way