Indoor cat wants to go out

spazcat65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My indoor cat, Spaz, keeps crying to go outside. He never gets tired of following us around the house and mewing as loud as he can and he runs outside when we open the door. It gets annoying trying to chase after him and keep him in. Letting him out is NOT an option. He is fixed and lives with his best friend (Sparta, male, fixed). They are about the same age (around one year). Please help!

Spaz                                           Sparta

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much play time are they getting on average.  This sounds like pent-up energy and little more than that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spazcat65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They play a lot. They chase each other around the house, have play fights, and play with toys.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have any cat trees? Increasing your amount of vertical space will give your cats a place to jump and climb. Let me know if you would like some recommendations for quality cat trees.

marypetlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that does the same thing and we have cat trees, I think he's just adventurous or something. We have lots of big birds of prey that hang out around our house that love to eat little pets so letting him out is not an option either..please let me know if you find something that works :)

spazcat65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have a cat tree and a lot of other tall places he can go. He likes to sit on top of doors sometimes. We have a lot of other cats (outdoor) in our neighborhood that come to our house and a main road near by. I hope he'll eventually just give up on going outside.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get him a harness and take him out for a few minutes once or twice a day. The outdoors might become less mysterious and alluring. My senior cat has always darted out the door. It scared me when he was young because I was afraid he was going to run away. He never has ventured more than 10 feet away from the house. He does not go out without me going with him, but a little roll in the grass with the sun shining on him seems good for his soul.

You noted that letting him out is NOT an option. Why is that? Or did you mean he isn't going out on his own to roam by himself (which I certainly agree with).

spazcat65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I meant he isn't going to roam by himself

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, he can go out with a harness and leash? Spaz says, "Please, please, please?" :)