Indoor cat wants out.

crazycatlady365

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Abigail and Amelia are both Indoor cats but Abigail wants to go outside really bad. So bad that she tries to go every time the door (front door not screen) is opened. Sometimes she gets out and I have to chase her back in with a spray bottle. Should I let her out ever once in a while? I have a harness and leash from my Guinea pigs that fits her and I could take her out like that. But I'm scared shell run off. Plus there allege a lot of ferals(I live on a farm in town)

mom2kittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't let her out if she's never been. She's probably in heat.. I had a cat of 12 years that was outside cat almost all her life until the end one day she never came back wich I think moms boyfriend did something to her :( anyways she is alott safer inside .

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she neutered?  If not she needs spaying ASAP.  Cats that are calling usually try really hard to get out, plus repeated calling without getting mated and pregnant is in the long term bad for their health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatlady365

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spayed and no. I honestly feel that is my desicion. But it is only a $20 thing here, but a 30min drive and overnight stay. I don't believe going into heat and not getting pregnant is bad for a cat, like it isn't bad for any other animal, including ppl. And she isn't always in heat when she tried to go out. When she does get out she just explores the yard. But I'm more scared of cars and bigger cats hurting her.

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is your decision, but spaying eliminates the risk of pyometra and greatly reduces the risk of mammary cancer in cats. And of course if she does manage to get out, she will most likely end up pregnant. Unless you plan to breed her/them, I'm not sure why you would take those risks, especially given how inexpensive spaying is in your area.

crazycatlady365

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's why I might just leash train her.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take my cats out into my backyard on a leash all the time and they love it. As a warning, be prepared for Abigail to want to go outside even more frequently than she does now for a little while, until she gets into a schedule where you are taking her out at the same time every day/couple of days. My older cat was awful for the first couple weeks after I started taking him outside (meowing, yowling, sprinting down the hallways, generally being a stinker), but he calmed down once he realized that I only take him out at certain times and that I can't be swayed into letting him out at any other time for any other reason.

Last edited:

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you want to protect your kitties and keep them safe and healthy PLEASE get them spayed!! If it is only a small fee and half hour drive you are lucky, really. It is a scientific fact that both female and male have a much higher chance of developing health problems, and the chance of getting disease From a cat that they mate ( &fight ) with. Then you will have a major need to go to the vets and also if your cat gets pregnant that's ALOT of work to properly care for mom & babies and to get homes for them etc.. I am just trying to help you see what could possibly happen especially if she is usually indoors. Good luck

crazycatlady365

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take my cats out into my backyard on a leash all the time and they love it. As a warning, be prepared for Abigail to want to go outside even more frequently than she does now for a little while, until she gets into a schedule where you are taking her out at the same time every day/couple of days. My older cat was awful for the first couple weeks after I started taking him outside (meowing, yowling, sprinting down the hallways, generally being a stinker), but he calmed down once he realized that I only take him out at certain times and that I can't be swayed into letting him out at any other time for any other reason.
She's already a skinner about it. That's why I want to give that to her.

crazycatlady365

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you want to protect your kitties and keep them safe and healthy PLEASE get them spayed!! If it is only a small fee and half hour drive you are lucky, really. It is a scientific fact that both female and male have a much higher chance of developing health problems, and the chance of getting disease From a cat that they mate ( &fight ) with. Then you will have a major need to go to the vets and also if your cat gets pregnant that's ALOT of work to properly care for mom & babies and to get homes for them etc.. I am just trying to help you see what could possibly happen especially if she is usually indoors. Good luck
I know what can happen. And I know about kitten/litter care. Thank you though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever helped kill kittens when there are too many to find homes for? :( Volunteering at a shelter might be a good eye-opener, I think it should be required for anyone wanting to breed their cat. There are simply not enough homes for all the kittens born. Adding more to the crowd is unkind.

And, yes, there are increased risks of many diseases if a woman never has babies and never goes on birth control pills. Look it up for some scary stuff! And if she does have babies, there are all the risks associated with pregnancy and birthing.

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if your cats not spayed then this will continue until she is...its mad not too get her spayed these days...your not taking anything away from her at all...but you can not compare humans to cats...we have self control..and when we as females ovulate....we don't go out looking for the nearest man to mate with....but with a female cat its a natural instinct..something thats built in,from what you have written here all your doing is pro-longing her fraustration to mate and have babies..when a female or a cats fixed you take away this hormone that controls thier mating instincts...your not removing thier leg or personality!!!

your cat may not be as desperate to get outdoors if there is no hormone telling her she must get out side at all costs.....

my cat was exactly the same..he was male though...and he howled,cryed,ran around the house looking for a way out...sprayed everything in his path...kept me up night after night....once he was neutered..the next day he was the same cat...but he hasn't sprayed one single time since...and now a couple of months later he is a happy content cat....but my cat does go out now via his cat flap...but he never goes very far...and spends more time in then out...because now he has not got this over whelming erge to mate every day....or protect his territory either....

get your cat spayed and you have a very happy content relaxed cat....letting her out depends on you and your area though...

crazycatlady365

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She doesn't only want to go out when she's in heat. She's curious about outside.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think the decision to not spay your cat will not affect her health, I would ask you to google Pyormetra, mammery tumors and uterine cancer.  Plus, contact with ferals who very often are not healthy and could spread something very bad to your cat...FIV, FIP, FLV..the list goes on and on.  Then if she gets pregnant, you have kittens who can be born with those diseases.  What a disaster that would be.  All those little lives needlessly lost. 

You are playing Russian Roulette with her health.  She looks to you to take care of her and keep her healthy and safe.

As long as she is unspayed, she will want to go outside.  All the responses are  excellent and spot on.  So your answer is to spay her.  There is no legitimate reason not to.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spayed and no. I honestly feel that is my desicion. But it is only a $20 thing here, but a 30min drive and overnight stay. I don't believe going into heat and not getting pregnant is bad for a cat, like it isn't bad for any other animal, including ppl. And she isn't always in heat when she tried to go out. When she does get out she just explores the yard. But I'm more scared of cars and bigger cats hurting her.
Actually it is bad for 'ppl'.  Women who have children and breastfeed are at a lower risk of breast cancer than the rest of us.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/can...ow-is-breast-feeding-related-to-breast-cancer

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well said Willowy! Been there, and continuously see kittens killed at the shelter daily.

We have a saying, for every kitten born, one is killed. Period.

Also, she will not stop wanting outside until she gets spayed. So if this is fine and dandy for you then you may as well let her out.....also, even when she is not in heat, she can be brought into heat by an unfixed male cat.

crazycatlady365

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she wants to go out to mate then why does she only want to go out when I'm out or another person is out?