Indoor cat reacting to a cat outside?

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

My 2 yr. old cat Gracie has been walking around the house meowing, not all day, but several times a day for a couple of minutes at a time. This has been going on for a month or two and I've been trying to figure out why. Several days ago she was bird watching from her cat tree and when I looked out the window I saw a strange cat lurking under a bush, also watching the birds. I have seen this cat in the yard occasionally. Now I'm wondering if her periodic episodes of meowing could be because she senses another cat outside? She doesn't act like there's anything wrong with her at all, she eats, plays and uses the litter box. Everything in her world has remained the same, no changes of any kind that might have upset her and she is an only cat so no other animals in the house to antagonize her. Has anyone else here experienced this and is this typical behavior when they sense another cat outside?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Cats can go from not caring one bit about another cat outside to totally freaking out by one that they can see (like my Feeby). If you can, try and track her activities (and the outdoor cat's) to see if you can confirm your suspicions. I do think she might sense the cat outside, but most likely she saw the cat when she was in her cat tree, then jumped down, and is expressing her concern about having seen the cat. You might also consider another cat tree and a location/window of the house that the outdoor cat does not/cannot frequent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Cats can go from not caring one bit about another cat outside to totally freaking out by one that they can see (like my Feeby). If you can, try and track her activities (and the outdoor cat's) to see if you can confirm your suspicions. I do think she might sense the cat outside, but most likely she saw the cat when she was in her cat tree, then jumped down, and is expressing her concern about having seen the cat. You might also consider another cat tree and a location/window of the house that the outdoor cat does not/cannot frequent.
Thank makes sense. I do look out the window when she starts her meowing, but of course by then the intruder is long gone, or at least out of sight so I rarely see it. She actually does have a cat tree at a different window on the other side of the house, but the cat outside has been seen on that side too. I guess she'll just have to get used to it. I was just curious if this is typical behavior or if I should be looking for some other problem with her. But as I said, she seems perfectly fine in every other way. Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as it doesn't escalate with her behavior, you can only hope she gets tired of your 'intruder', or it is a stray that 'goes away'. I think she is just complaining to you about that other cat disturbing her 'peace'. If all she does is meow in protest, you have it a lot luckier than many. As I said, Feeby goes ballistic, and even at 16+ yo becomes 'killer cat' (not to me, but to the intruder). Other cats get territorial and take it out on those inside with them. Your cat, to me, seems pretty typical in terms of reaction, and thankfully for you, on the more mild side.

You can always 'console' her so that she has you for a calming effect. Just watch her for other issues, and if none appear, maybe your consolation to her will be enough.