Indoor cat owners, please help.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I own one of the world's most difficult cats ever, LOL. My 3-year old black domestic shorthaired male cat Boaz has been raised indoor only. I'm a first-time indoor cat owner. I've lived with cats for most of my life, but he's the first one that is actually mine.

Boaz is a self-serving control freak!

Boaz has his own litter box, but if he's in the living room, he prefers to pull past the grate to our fireplace and go potty in the fireplace, so I have to keep him out of the dining room and living room when I'm not watching the area (which is most of the time).

Boaz eats plenty of cat food each day, he gets treats, and he goes on leashed walks outside where he gets to fulfill his hunting instinct chasing after small wild animals on our 2 acres of land. In the house, he still prefers to be in his most favorite room- the kitchen. In the kitchen, he dives into the sink to lick dirty dishes (there are 4 humans in the house, so we always have dirty dishes in the sink), counter surfs, climbs up on shelves and in cupboards and knocks breakable items to the floor, and pulls past the child-proof latched cupboard and digs out the trash.

I try to get him to play with his variety of cat toys, but he's a picky player and a not-so-picky eater. Toys don't hold his attention long AT ALL. He usually wants to go back to the kitchen and hunt for food.

We have other cats in the house, 2 young ones his age: my brother's cat Asher and my Dad's cat Posie. Boaz's relationship with both cats fell apart over the course of 2-3 years. Why? I don't know exactly, but my guess is because he has no respect for other people's or other cat's wishes.

I think the reason why some people think, "The cats will resolve their differences themselves" is because in some cases, it's true, cats do. However, not all cats will always respect other cats enforcing boundaries. If one cat disciplines the offending cat with a hiss, growl, or smack, and the offending cat rarely causes a problem with the other cat from then on, then you can be sure that the offending cat and the offended cat resolved their quarrel. However, and this is what Boaz did with Asher and Posie, if the offending cat gets reprimanded by the other cats over and over again in a short period and he still keeps up his pushiness, the offending cat is not getting the message. At this point, if the humans don't step in and redirect/remove the offending cat, the hostility is going to grow and grow until the other cats hate the offending cat because the offending cat won't take "no" for an answer.

Because Boaz is SO destructive, mischievous, and making himself sick from constantly getting into garbage, I'm now at the point where the only "Boaz-proofed" room there is around here is my bedroom. I spend most of my work time in my bedroom (I work at home) and keep Boaz shut in there with me. He still is allowed to go about other parts of the house each day, but only when I'll be there to supervise him.

I can tell he hates having to spend so much time shut in my bedroom. When I have to leave him there and I'm not in there, sometimes he will just sleep, but other times, he'll start yelling high-pitched squeaky meows. I FEEL SO BAD FOR HIM! I feel like a horrible cat owner.

I've lived with cats for most of my life, but really my specialty is dogs. (I owned a dog for 6 years before I got Boaz.) I feel like certain dogs are easier to manage than indoor cats. I'd love to hear input from other indoor cat owners on this forum and hear what you all have done to make living with indoor cats easy and enjoyable for everyone involved. Whether you have just one indoor cat or multiple indoor cats, I'd love to learn from you!

Thanks for your feedback!

Oh yeah, I should add that since Boaz's relationship with our other 2 young cats fell apart, I have to keep him separated from Posie entirely. I have to keep Boaz away from Asher unless I'm there to watch closely and engage them in treat time. So, when I hear Boaz having a fit and feeling very lonely and bored in his room, I'd love to be able to put one of our other cats in there with him, but right now that's not an option. I'm hoping that if I can successfully reintroduce Posie and Boaz and get Posie to be accepting of him again, that I'd be able to have her around him more often. When she and he accidentally meet each other in the house, most of the time he doesn't try to go for her.

When Boaz meets Asher, though, he will fixate on him and try to attack him. EVEN WHEN I HAVE ASHER IN MY ARMS Boaz will look like he wants to attack him, following me around and not taking his eyes off of Asher.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi

Boaz is a self-serving control freak!
I doubt it. Has he been to the vet lately?

You can build an enclosure in the yard for him so he doesn't have to be cooped up in your room.

You can ensure dishes aren't left in the sink. Rinsing them off isn't a hardship and will help to keep your cat from ingesting an array of things that are seriously bad for him.

Museum putty works quite well to keep breakables from getting broken.

Utilize a different child proofing latch.

Why? I don't know exactly, but my guess is because he has no respect for other people's or other cat's wishes.
he will fixate on him and try to attack him.
Much of this is related to territorial issues between all the felines. Boaz is a cat, not a person. Are both males neutered and the female spayed? Even if they are, there is a lot of tension and stress going on between the cats.

The Multi-Cat Household – TheCatSite Articles

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

I doubt it. Has he been to the vet lately?

You can build an enclosure in the yard for him so he doesn't have to be cooped up in your room.

You can ensure dishes aren't left in the sink. Rinsing them off isn't a hardship and will help to keep your cat from ingesting an array of things that are seriously bad for him.

Museum putty works quite well to keep breakables from getting broken.

Utilize a different child proofing latch.

Much of this is related to territorial issues between all the felines. Boaz is a cat, not a person. Are both males neutered and the female spayed? Even if they are, there is a lot of tension and stress going on between the cats.

The Multi-Cat Household – TheCatSite Articles

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks for your help. I'll take a look at the articles you linked as I find time. Yes, all 3 are spayed and neutered.

My family doesn't have the time or the money to install a different child-proof latch for multiple cupboard doors.

Museum putty is not practical when most of the items on the shelves are glassware.

We have an outdoor enclosure that I can't use because Asher has to stay out there most of the time due to him spraying in the house. Asher comes into the house whenever a human is able to watch him closely. Posie stays out in the outdoor enclosure most of the time so that she won't be bugging my dad to take her for walks outside.

Boaz doesn't seem to like the outdoor enclosure during the times I've had him out there by himself. He comes back into our screened-in room that's sort of a catio and meows to come in.

I can put the dirty dishes away sooner more often, yes, but the other issues in the kitchen still make for it to be an unsafe place for him to be alone in.

He has not been to the vet recently, but he seems healthy overall. These behavior issues have been lifelong for him and they've gotten worse as time goes on. :/

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds restless. YOU sound as if you’ve reached your last tether! This one’s hard for me as I’ve always been a one cat person. Cats can be high maintenance creatures….they certainly, as you know, aren’t d-gs! I’d be bored with toys too, after awhile…the trick is to vary them up, hide some, bring others out later. Is there any room in your house for…a catio? Or different shelves along the wall allowing him to reach and explore difference heights? A small fish in a bowl? A cat tree? A box he can hide in? The challenge here too is cats are so adept at picking up on your own psychology, so that, if you in way resent him, or are just plain worn out from his antics, the energy can feed itself. Somehow, the cycle needs to be broken. I can’t tell from your description if you have become the soul navigator or cat umpire here…are others in your family helping to try to resolve Boaz’s…territorial roamings? One of the reasons I ask about high up spaces is maybe he needs one spot to call his own, where he can just look down on the scene w/out feeling like his turf will be challenged. Cats can also be extremely jealous, so it’s important to give equal ”love time.” …I have no answers really: only multicat owners can truly be of help here, but he reminds me of a kid acting out to get your attention. Reward and love the good behavior, and try to ignore the bad…perhaps a few more litter trays will help establish peace…

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like you have a home with some cats who individually have issues that are probably affecting one another. Asher routinely spraying the house is one issue that needs to be addressed - it is not normal, and there is a reason for it. It could also be the source of the issue between Asher and Boaz. Any chance that the spraying by Asher happened shortly before the 'falling out' between the cats? Just another thing to add to your considerations. Posie may be lacking proper attention since it seems like she is relegated to an outdoor enclosure in order not to 'bug' your dad for walks. Boaz may be better off being a totally indoor cat - no cat that takes walks outside, leash or otherwise, can be considered an indoor only cat. So, Boaz is not actually an indoor cat for that reason. The fact that he does not like to stay out in the enclosed areas by himself suggests he really wants to be 'outside', not in an enclosed area. Not to mention if the cats don't get along, he smells them out there and it probably is bothersome to him. It also suggests that letting him go on those walks might actually 'rev' him up, leading to more confrontations with the other cats. Posie does sound like your best bet in terms of a re-introduction process with Boaz. How do Posie and Asher get along, btw?

As far as Boaz digging in garbage and licking dishes in the sink - could be some sort of nutritional issue. It could be boredom but ruling out health related problems is always the first thing to do. He likes to be in the kitchen for a reason - the food on the dishes and in the garbage, as best I can tell.

Some more TCS articles for you to look at, just in case there is anything in them that 'rings a bell' or gives you some other ideas. I think you have a long-standing problem that is going to take quite a long time (and effort) to get beyond it.
Cat Behavior Problems [What to do and what not to do] – TheCatSite Articles
Why Do Cats…? A Guide To Understanding Feline Behavior – TheCatSite Articles
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much food do you feed Boaz? Do you free feed? Dry or canned or both? Does Boaz get fed separate from the other cats or do all the cats eat together?

Hangry cats can exhibit may of the behaviors you describe: getting into the sink to lick dirty dishes, getting onto the counters and tables, digging out trash, bothering the other cats, going potty everywhere but in the litter box, etc. Simple solution is to feed enough calories that the cat needs. This is generally 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight daily.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He sounds restless. YOU sound as if you’ve reached your last tether! This one’s hard for me as I’ve always been a one cat person. Cats can be high maintenance creatures….they certainly, as you know, aren’t d-gs! I’d be bored with toys too, after awhile…the trick is to vary them up, hide some, bring others out later. Is there any room in your house for…a catio? Or different shelves along the wall allowing him to reach and explore difference heights? A small fish in a bowl? A cat tree? A box he can hide in? The challenge here too is cats are so adept at picking up on your own psychology, so that, if you in way resent him, or are just plain worn out from his antics, the energy can feed itself. Somehow, the cycle needs to be broken. I can’t tell from your description if you have become the soul navigator or cat umpire here…are others in your family helping to try to resolve Boaz’s…territorial roamings? One of the reasons I ask about high up spaces is maybe he needs one spot to call his own, where he can just look down on the scene w/out feeling like his turf will be challenged. Cats can also be extremely jealous, so it’s important to give equal ”love time.” …I have no answers really: only multicat owners can truly be of help here, but he reminds me of a kid acting out to get your attention. Reward and love the good behavior, and try to ignore the bad…perhaps a few more litter trays will help establish peace…
Thanks so much for your reply!

Truly, I think Boaz cares more about territory and food than he does about opinions and relationships. It makes no difference to him if I'm in the room or out of the room if he's doing something naughty, except for the fact that when I see him doing something bad, I spray him with the squirt bottle. It's just water, nothing else. I know it's a controversial topic to use a spray bottle on a cat, but I don't know what else to do that's quick and effective to make him stop, at least, for the moment. I'll yell at him to get off the counters and sometimes he'll jump off, sometimes he'll ignore me.

Boaz has his own cat tree and there are others around the house. There are lots of high places for him to climb up on that don't include the tables and countertops. He does play in boxes sometimes, but they don't make a huge difference to him in the grand scheme of things.

A fish in a bowl? That's an interesting one. I'm worried that he'd try to get after the fish constantly and make a big mess.

I don't mean to sound like I'm shooting down all your ideas or being rude...I've seriously tried a lot of options. I'd still love to hear if there are options I haven't thought of yet.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much food do you feed Boaz? Do you free feed? Dry or canned or both? Does Boaz get fed separate from the other cats or do all the cats eat together?

Hangry cats can exhibit may of the behaviors you describe: getting into the sink to lick dirty dishes, getting onto the counters and tables, digging out trash, bothering the other cats, going potty everywhere but in the litter box, etc. Simple solution is to feed enough calories that the cat needs. This is generally 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight daily.

"Hangry"? Hungry and angry? I guess those words describe Boaz to a point, LOL. He certainly is a foodie and he's mad that he can't make the outdoor feral cats stop coming in his yard and spraying everywhere. (I'm suspecting the feral cats are prompting our cats to go into redirected aggression at each other, frying their friendships as they fret over control of their territory.)

Boaz is 7 &1/2 pounds. He gets about 6 oz. of canned food a day, supplemented with the occasional small animal from outside. I don't free feed and I don't do dry food.

Thanks for mentioning the required calorie amount. According to my calculation with the numbers you provided me, he needs about 187 calories per day. I'm doing something wrong, I know it. I'm not great with math. Can someone better at math check my math on this?

Boaz has 2 options: a 10 oz. can and a 6 oz. can. The 6 oz. can has 154 kilocalories per can, which, when converted to calories, I found to be 154,000 calories. The 10 oz. can has 244 kilocalories per can, which, when I converted to calories, I found it to be 244,000 calories!

What am I missing? Help!

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Hangry"? Hungry and angry? I guess those words describe Boaz to a point, LOL. He certainly is a foodie and he's mad that he can't make the outdoor feral cats stop coming in his yard and spraying everywhere. (I'm suspecting the feral cats are prompting our cats to go into redirected aggression at each other, frying their friendships as they fret over control of their territory.)

Boaz is 7 &1/2 pounds. He gets about 6 oz. of canned food a day, supplemented with the occasional small animal from outside. I don't free feed and I don't do dry food.

Thanks for mentioning the required calorie amount. According to my calculation with the numbers you provided me, he needs about 187 calories per day. I'm doing something wrong, I know it. I'm not great with math. Can someone better at math check my math on this?

Boaz has 2 options: a 10 oz. can and a 6 oz. can. The 6 oz. can has 154 kilocalories per can, which, when converted to calories, I found to be 154,000 calories. The 10 oz. can has 244 kilocalories per can, which, when I converted to calories, I found it to be 244,000 calories!

What am I missing? Help!
Sorry, I forgot to answer your last question. No, I don't feed Boaz in the same room as the other cats since they don't like each other anymore. Soon, I hope to start feeding him and Posie on either side of a door to get them to associate each other's scent with good times again.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't need to convert kcal to calories. So the 6 oz can is 154 calories which is a bit lower than what your cat should get., more or less. Every cat is different so you just adjust calorie amount to meet their needs and maintain body weight. Try increasing the amount of food a bit, maybe 2 oz or so, and see if that makes any difference in a week or so.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More food is a good idea. Fixing the dishes and garbage issues is important since he could get a lot worse than a tummy ache or diarhea out of continual access to human foods. Buy a dog proof garbage can, should work just fine on a cat.

I'm sure being confined to that room so much isn't helping. He is an overly active cat, and being deprived of stimulation only makes that worse. What do you mean by their relationship fell apart? Do they have for real fights, or he just pisses the others off and they hiss, growl and maybe swat a bit? That sort of routine "I don't want to play get the bleep away" stuff is not especially problematic and is better than confinement.

I know one thing that almost certainly would help, but may be a non-starter -- conversion to an indoor/outdoor cat. It gets a *ton* of their energy out, and I've seen clear evidence that it can improve inter-cat problems caused by an overly active cat. Not workable for many of course.

Beyond that, I don't have any great answers for you.

Last edited: