Indoor cat is outside and won't come in!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, when I tried playing the sound, my female AND male cat came running, too. :thumbsup:
(even my dog reacted, but only turned his head, didn't actually come running.)

(maybe I should have put a "warning: only play sound through headphones"...since all cats will come running....label on it.) :blush:
It's truly amazing, though. @Norachan first posted it, on one of the threads, helping a member trapping a feral cat...in the 'Caring for Strays and Ferals' sub-forum.

I think that profcat profcat 's cat...is truly hunting, and especially mice and chipmunks. :bluepaw:
He's probably found plenty of mice holes, and just waits for them to exit.
Plus, since his mom is outside, he's probably also hanging around with her, too. Or else found some other cat friends to socialize with.

The good thing, is that he still comes by, and is not too far away. :blackcat:
I think once he has enough of hunting, and watching everything that moves in the night...then he will stroll on home, like nothing has happened. Cannot really say when. He probably also visits his home area, every night, too,...and sleeps throughout the day, under something, hidden away. He is gorgeous, and I can see him blending into the night, with only his eyes showing.

Hopefully, he does venture into a trap, or else just decides to come up to the window and door, backyard, to patrol his home territory.

(Raccoons are interesting, in the sense that they also like to eat dry cat food, but like to dip that dry cat food into water bowls.
It's like raccoons are making their own 'cereal with water'...instead of milk with cereal.)
He is gorgeous 😻 I hope he comes home very soon, so his poor mom will not be so stressed etc.

We have tons of raccoons here but they just eat the dry catfood, no water etc. so do the opossums.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update: It started raining here. There's no way he's coming out in this.
We'll put food out someplace dry tomorrow but it's going to rain most of tomorrow and tomorrow night. So he's going to be out there for a couple more days. I didn't even see him today. Ugh, I hate this!

Maybe I'll print flyers tomorrow for the neighborhood just in case he wanders a bit. But I have a feeling he's hunkered down really close by. I just wish he'd eat. He didn't touch the food I left out today. View attachment 414682

Also to trap him try not leaving food out all day and then only a small amount of stinky food in the trap. KFC as people said, or tuna, sardines etc. If he is hunting and eating elsewhere that may be why he is not eating the food, I think you said he is not eating it but I may be confusing it with another post.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add that I just tried out the video with the mom cat crying linked by cat nap and my cats all came to me and looked out the window etc. so definitely try that. Quinn was in the bed near me and sat up immediately. Zena is now in a bed near me and Merlin is sticking by my feet. I first heard about this on a siamese cat forum I am on where someone got her lost back meezer this way.
It can be very effective.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update: It started raining here. There's no way he's coming out in this.
We'll put food out someplace dry tomorrow but it's going to rain most of tomorrow and tomorrow night. So he's going to be out there for a couple more days. I didn't even see him today. Ugh, I hate this!

Maybe I'll print flyers tomorrow for the neighborhood just in case he wanders a bit. But I have a feeling he's hunkered down really close by. I just wish he'd eat. He didn't touch the food I left out today. View attachment 414682
Gorgeous

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raccoons do not produce saliva hence the dipping food in water.
Raccoons do have salivary glands, contrary to legend.
Rabies is often transmitted from animals to humans through the saliva of an infected animal when it bites a human.
If rabies is transmitted through saliva and the bite of a rabid raccoon can transmit rabies, then raccoons must have saliva.

Not all raccoons wash their food. Mostly captive ones. Wild ones sometimes wash food if they are near enough to water.
Raccoons have a super sensitive sense of touch with their "hands." Wetting the skin makes it more sensitive to touch. Try it yourself. :)
Raccoons wash their food in order to examine it before they eat because water makes their paws more sensitive to touch.

I usually only call them "trash pandas" when they come in our yard, dig in the trash cans and generally upset things.
When they live in the forest where they are supposed to be, I still call them "raccoons."

Raccoons that come near homes can cause problems because, not only do they make a mess and cause damage, they can also spread disease. It's an unfortunate consequence of humans and animals living too close to one another.

Wild animals should live in the wild. Humans should live in houses and should respect animals and their habitats.
It really peeves me off when people encroach too far into wild habitats and don't respect the animals that live there.

That's why I try to advise people to scare them away whenever they can and not to encourage them by feeding them or leaving garbage or pet food out where they can get at it.

When animals and humans interact, inapproprately, and become acclimated to each other, it's the animals that, most often, end up getting the short end of the stick. :(

It's better for people to admire animals from afar and, if they want to see animals, close up, they can visit a zoo or an animal preserve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, when I tried playing the sound, my female AND male cat came running, too. :thumbsup:
(even my dog reacted, but only turned his head, didn't actually come running.)

(maybe I should have put a "warning: only play sound through headphones"...since all cats will come running....label on it.) :blush:
It's truly amazing, though. @Norachan first posted it, on one of the threads, helping a member trapping a feral cat...in the 'Caring for Strays and Ferals' sub-forum.

I think that profcat profcat 's cat...is truly hunting, and especially mice and chipmunks. :bluepaw:
He's probably found plenty of mice holes, and just waits for them to exit.
Plus, since his mom is outside, he's probably also hanging around with her, too. Or else found some other cat friends to socialize with.

The good thing, is that he still comes by, and is not too far away. :blackcat:
I think once he has enough of hunting, and watching everything that moves in the night...then he will stroll on home, like nothing has happened. Cannot really say when. He probably also visits his home area, every night, too,...and sleeps throughout the day, under something, hidden away. He is gorgeous, and I can see him blending into the night, with only his eyes showing.

Hopefully, he does venture into a trap, or else just decides to come up to the window and door, backyard, to patrol his home territory.

(Raccoons are interesting, in the sense that they also like to eat dry cat food, but like to dip that dry cat food into water bowls.
It's like raccoons are making their own 'cereal with water'...instead of milk with cereal.)
This is exactly what I think is happening. I got an outdoor camera and set it up yesterday. He was down the hill in the woods again at night, but did not come up. And I know he wasn't in the yard all night because of the camera. I set a trap during the day down in the woods, but he never went in.

Tonight we have the bathroom window open again, and our other cats all in the bedroom. We have dirty laundry hanging out the window, food in the window and hallway, and a dirty blanket outside. We see him sitting down the hill in the woods. I'm watching the new backyard camera and suddenly, he walks right by like he is the most comfortable cat ever! Totally nonchalant. He sort of glances up at the open window and disappears. Come on!! Then he comes out again from someplace and walks through the fence into the neighbor's backyard. SO FRUSTRATING.

So we are sitting here with a window open in a cold house evening after evening, into the wee hours of the morning. Maybe now that he's up close to the window, he'll come in today or tomorrow. Tomorrow has been a week already! We're exhausted and stressed out. We just want him inside!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
This is exactly what I think is happening. I got an outdoor camera and set it up yesterday. He was down the hill in the woods again at night, but did not come up. And I know he wasn't in the yard all night because of the camera. I set a trap during the day down in the woods, but he never went in.
Great that you got a camera.
And great that you saw him.:)

I was going to mention getting a 'trail camera'...but I went online...and got so confused...as to ALL the different features, that they now have. :confused2:
Would you mind telling me, which one you got?
And do you think there are any good ones for under $40? Some youtube videos show the cameras in action, but then when I read some amazon reviews, they are not so great.

(For me, I don't actually live near the woods, (I wish I did).:evergreen:.:tree::tree::evergreen:. but I thought it might be interesting to see when the raccoons, or squirrels, and sometimes a skunk, might show up near our detached garage. The squirrels are always around, and for some strange reason, like to build their nest, right above the garage door,...not in actual corners or rafters. And the raccoons only show up in the summer months, looking for fruit from the trees, or grapes in september. I've only once saw an opossum, here, and had no clue what it was. My friend who lived in the country/farmlands knew right away.)
Tonight we have the bathroom window open again, and our other cats all in the bedroom. We have dirty laundry hanging out the window, food in the window and hallway, and a dirty blanket outside. We see him sitting down the hill in the woods. I'm watching the new backyard camera and suddenly, he walks right by like he is the most comfortable cat ever! Totally nonchalant. He sort of glances up at the open window and disappears. Come on!! Then he comes out again from someplace and walks through the fence into the neighbor's backyard. SO FRUSTRATING.
Yeah, I was thinking that he might be doing that.
It is good that he is nearby, though.:blackcat:
So we are sitting here with a window open in a cold house evening after evening, into the wee hours of the morning. Maybe now that he's up close to the window, he'll come in today or tomorrow. Tomorrow has been a week already! We're exhausted and stressed out. We just want him inside!
I hear you, and feel for you. :alright:
It's like he's so close, but does not want to come back inside, yet. 🤔

Keep a look out on that camera of yours, and see if you can 'plot a track'...to the places...and 'especially the Times'...that he visits certain spots. It might be hard, with only one camera, but at least you know that he is coming back, and scouting around.
He's just having too much fun outside, and the woods, trees, smells, everything that is alive out there, is entertaining him.

If he does not decide to come inside the window, today or tomorrow, then I would probably close the window,...and treat him like an 'indoor/outdoor' cat...temporarily. No use losing all that heat, and disrupting all the other cats.

He will still come by, if you continue to place food and water outside, and somehow manage to keep the raccoons away, from the food dishes. (that part I'm not too sure how to do, since you'd need to make some sort of perch, or box, near your back door, where only the cat would be able to get to. Some sort of sheltered box, or even a cardboard box, with a blanket inside, maybe. Building one out of wood might be better, or even a plastic tote box, with the sides cut out.)

My guess is that he will be back inside your place, by next week.:crossfingers:
I figure that two weeks outdoors, should be long enough for him to be over his outdoor adventure.

**Another member did mention, that he used some 'tuna juice'...and sprinkled it on the grass near his home, to attract a feral cat, that he wanted back inside. But he also said, that it attracted other cats, too. So might not work so good.

When he does come up to your window, on the camera,...could you maybe place out some 'tasty treats...that sort of lead them to your back door'...that way...he might get closer and closer, to the door, and then you can just open it, and let him inside.
I know that's wishful thinking, and you're probably going to have to catch him in your trap...but anything is worth a try right now.
All the luck, sent your way. :goodluck:

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply and ideas!! I bet he's hungry, even if he's eating wild animals. He's used to 2 square meals a day and snacks in between! We really could never have an indoor/outdoor cat bc we'd worry they'd bring stuff into our cats, and we'd worry too much about them. We have one outdoor cat-- his Mom-- who stays very close by and has never wanted to come in. We have a couple of houses for her out there and she's used to eating during daylight so we don't attract raccoons. If he wants to stay out, I guess that's his choice, but I have to believe he's just having a bit of fun and will get tired of it soon and want good food.

There's also a neighborhood tomcat we have not been able to trap and they have fought now at least twice (we've heard it). So I don't like the idea of him being out where he could be chased across the street and get lost easily.

Hopefully, him being so much closer tonight means that tomorrow he'll come in. We'll do have food leading up to the window and will not feed him tomorrow. I'll also try a trap during the day again. If I trap at night I'll just get a raccoon, but maybe it's worth a shot.

thanks for the support!!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and I got a Wyze Cam 3 on Amazon. It was about $40 and it does work outside I just haven't wired it there yet. We have it in the bedroom window pointing out, and even without the IR light on, the picture is amazingly bright and clear. Totally impressed. I might get another one for inside, too, to keep an eye on the kittles when I'm out.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply and ideas!! I bet he's hungry, even if he's eating wild animals. He's used to 2 square meals a day and snacks in between! We really could never have an indoor/outdoor cat bc we'd worry they'd bring stuff into our cats, and we'd worry too much about them. We have one outdoor cat-- his Mom-- who stays very close by and has never wanted to come in. We have a couple of houses for her out there and she's used to eating during daylight so we don't attract raccoons. If he wants to stay out, I guess that's his choice, but I have to believe he's just having a bit of fun and will get tired of it soon and want good food.

There's also a neighborhood tomcat we have not been able to trap and they have fought now at least twice (we've heard it). So I don't like the idea of him being out where he could be chased across the street and get lost easily.

Hopefully, him being so much closer tonight means that tomorrow he'll come in. We'll do have food leading up to the window and will not feed him tomorrow. I'll also try a trap during the day again. If I trap at night I'll just get a raccoon, but maybe it's worth a shot.

thanks for the support!!
So frustrating, I hope you get him back inside soon. I think you may have to trap him. Try to tnr the tom cat, he may be scaring your guy away too. Good luck 🤗🐾

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read this, and laughed just a little...not because the situation is funny, but because so many of us have been there! With the cat making an appearance, then sauntering off again, until they're good and ready to come back in. Sometimes it seems as if they are actively taunting us, doesn't it?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I bet he's hungry too, for the good stuff.
But I also think he is really enjoying the hunting, and fresh field mice, too.

I just always wonder where outdoor cats get their water from??...maybe from the wild animals they eat, or some standing water, rainwater, etc. I figure they must get it from somewhere.

Ahh, yes, you make an excellent point, about not having an 'indoor/outdoor'...because of potentially bringing in any parasites, fleas, and some illnesses to the indoor ones. I never even thought of that. thanks for the reminder.
The vaccinations would be different, too, with the outdoor life.

Also, thanks for the reminder that raccoons eat in the night, and not in the day. :bluepaw:
That's a useful piece of information to know about raccoons.
I wonder if that neighbourhood tomcat...is actually another reason, why your cat might want to be outside a little bit longer.
Your cat might want to protect "his territory"...from that tomcat. :think:

Even if your cat was indoors, and saw that tomcat casually walking about...your male cat might have thought, "Hey, buddy, not on my watch"...."and not in my backyard, either". :cool2:
Our cats do become very protective of their own territories, so you never know, if your cat is "patrolling the backyard"...and perhaps trying to keep his own area safe, from the tomcat. :dunno:

I do hope your guy, though, does not challenge the tomcat, too much.
Instead I hope your guy just keeps a low profile, and tries to avoid the tom. :blackcat:

thanks for the support!!
I actually do think you should try and trap at night. :agree:
It is worth a shot, especially, since maybe your cat tends to sleep all day, and is more active at night, or around dusk and dawn, too. crepuscular cats.
We are ALL rooting for you here. :thumbsup: :cheerleader::goldstar::clap:
You have all our support, and best wishes. :)
Oh and I got a Wyze Cam 3 on Amazon. It was about $40 and it does work outside I just haven't wired it there yet. We have it in the bedroom window pointing out, and even without the IR light on, the picture is amazingly bright and clear. Totally impressed. I might get another one for inside, too, to keep an eye on the kittles when I'm out.
Oh, I thought it was one of those outdoor trail cams.
Thanks, I will look into the one you mentioned.

Sounds good, to be able to keep an eye on the inside cats, too. :think:
Especially if you have to figure out, who is using the litter box, when, and having to take in a sample, at times.

And yes, I would be curious to know what my animals get up to, when I'm out, as well.
I figure they just sleep, but it would still be interesting to know.
So frustrating, I hope you get him back inside soon. I think you may have to trap him. Try to trn the tom cat, he may be scaring your guy away too. Good luck 🤗🐾
Yeah, I think that tom cat may be challenging profcat profcat 's cat, too,...so it's really good that profcat will now have video evidence, of what these cats are up to, outside.

(one day in the future, they should make traps, that are with video, too, and only close the flap, if a cat is inside,...not a raccoon.
Though, how this 'future trap would distinguish between all the strays, and outdoor cats,...versus only the one cat you want to catch, is probably asking too much. "Cat face recognition", sounds way, way, too expensive.)
I guess that might be a bit too 'sci-fi'...but hey, you never know what they will design, and build next.)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I read this, and laughed just a little...not because the situation is funny, but because so many of us have been there! With the cat making an appearance, then sauntering off again, until they're good and ready to come back in. Sometimes it seems as if they are actively taunting us, doesn't it?
I think the cats are, taunting the humans. lol. :crazy: :whistle::running:
They really are.
It's like the saying, "you just cannot make a cat do anything, UNLESS they really want to".

I don't think they are actively doing it...but it sure seems like they are.
Hmmm...maybe they are. :think: 🤔 :crackup::lol:
Our sweet cats have to keep us 'on our toes', and offer 'challenges' to figure out.
(Like a game of 'survivor'...but we never asked to be on the island, and never asked to play. lol.)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I bet he's hungry too, for the good stuff.
But I also think he is really enjoying the hunting, and fresh field mice, too.

I just always wonder where outdoor cats get their water from??...maybe from the wild animals they eat, or some standing water, rainwater, etc. I figure they must get it from somewhere.

Ahh, yes, you make an excellent point, about not having an 'indoor/outdoor'...because of potentially bringing in any parasites, fleas, and some illnesses to the indoor ones. I never even thought of that. thanks for the reminder.
The vaccinations would be different, too, with the outdoor life.

Also, thanks for the reminder that raccoons eat in the night, and not in the day. :bluepaw:
That's a useful piece of information to know about raccoons.

I wonder if that neighbourhood tomcat...is actually another reason, why your cat might want to be outside a little bit longer.
Your cat might want to protect "his territory"...from that tomcat. :think:

Even if your cat was indoors, and saw that tomcat casually walking about...your male cat might have thought, "Hey, buddy, not on my watch"...."and not in my backyard, either". :cool2:
Our cats do become very protective of their own territories, so you never know, if your cat is "patrolling the backyard"...and perhaps trying to keep his own area safe, from the tomcat. :dunno:

I do hope your guy, though, does not challenge the tomcat, too much.
Instead I hope your guy just keeps a low profile, and tries to avoid the tom. :blackcat:

I actually do think you should try and trap at night. :agree:
It is worth a shot, especially, since maybe your cat tends to sleep all day, and is more active at night, or around dusk and dawn, too. crepuscular cats.
We are ALL rooting for you here. :thumbsup: :cheerleader::goldstar::clap:
You have all our support, and best wishes. :)

Oh, I thought it was one of those outdoor trail cams.
Thanks, I will look into the one you mentioned.

Sounds good, to be able to keep an eye on the inside cats, too. :think:
Especially if you have to figure out, who is using the litter box, when, and having to take in a sample, at times.

And yes, I would be curious to know what my animals get up to, when I'm out, as well.
I figure they just sleep, but it would still be interesting to know.

Yeah, I think that tom cat may be challenging profcat profcat 's cat, too,...so it's really good that profcat will now have video evidence, of what these cats are up to, outside.

(one day in the future, they should make traps, that are with video, too, and only close the flap, if a cat is inside,...not a raccoon.
Though, how this 'future trap would distinguish between all the strays, and outdoor cats,...versus only the one cat you want to catch, is probably asking too much. "Cat face recognition", sounds way, way, too expensive.)
I guess that might be a bit too 'sci-fi'...but hey, you never know what they will design, and build next.)
That trap with cam sounds great to me! Lol. There is one with an electrical remote trigger, I can’t remember if it has a cam but you could set one up near the trap and watch.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An update: He's still out there! It was SO cold and windy the past couple of nights here, we only saw him a couple times and we couldn't leave the window and door open for very long.

I have kept the walk-in trap out and have caught 2 raccoons/trash pandas so far. Both were very polite about being let out.

We are discouraged. We see him out there just after dusk. I bank the food bowls and open a can just like he's inside for dinner. He walks right by. We're worried he's becoming feral and won't ever want to come in again. But he can't be eating if he's only out at night (we don't leave food out at night bc of the raccoons)-- unless he's catching small animals.

It's going to warm up tonight and tomorrow so we'll try again. Honestly, I don't know what to do other than keep trying and hoping he'll come back in the window.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
An update: He's still out there! It was SO cold and windy the past couple of nights here, we only saw him a couple times and we couldn't leave the window and door open for very long.

I have kept the walk-in trap out and have caught 2 raccoons/trash pandas so far. Both were very polite about being let out.

We are discouraged. We see him out there just after dusk. I bank the food bowls and open a can just like he's inside for dinner. He walks right by. We're worried he's becoming feral and won't ever want to come in again. But he can't be eating if he's only out at night (we don't leave food out at night bc of the raccoons)-- unless he's catching small animals.

It's going to warm up tonight and tomorrow so we'll try again. Honestly, I don't know what to do other than keep trying and hoping he'll come back in the window.
It cant take a couple of weeks so don't lose hope. Will it be warming up anytime soon?

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update: We tried keeping the backdoor open last night, with a bowl of food in the middle of the room, and a camera to watch if he came in. Sure enough! 10 minutes after setting up, he walked in a tiny bit, then out again. He did that 3 more times, coming into the room a little more each time. The only way for me to close that door from outside is to walk around the side of the house, and I tripped the light the 3rd time and he got scared. But we're so encouraged he came in!!

We are set up tonight but we're getting some big thunderstorms at some point. We haven't seen him and that worries us, but the wind is crazy, so maybe he is scared. In between storms tonight we'll try. And it's warmer today and tomorrow so that helps.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update: We tried keeping the backdoor open last night, with a bowl of food in the middle of the room, and a camera to watch if he came in. Sure enough! 10 minutes after setting up, he walked in a tiny bit, then out again. He did that 3 more times, coming into the room a little more each time. The only way for me to close that door from outside is to walk around the side of the house, and I tripped the light the 3rd time and he got scared. But we're so encouraged he came in!!

We are set up tonight but we're getting some big thunderstorms at some point. We haven't seen him and that worries us, but the wind is crazy, so maybe he is scared. In between storms tonight we'll try. And it's warmer today and tomorrow so that helps.
That is great news, I hope he comes back asap and you can get him further inside the house. Maybe try to have someone hide near the door who can shut it once he is in far enough and you coax him in far enough 😀

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're discouraged. We've had the back door open every evening at twilight until like 10pm-11pm. Then we get up at 4am and try to see if he'll come in then. Both times he comes in a little ways, and then scoots out. At 5am this morning he was inside, and got scared by a huge gust of wind!

There is no way to hide behind the door bc it's at the top of 2 steps. So we have this whole ordeal of getting our cats into the bedroom and I sit outside in the cold waiting for him. We have 3 different bowls of food set up and cat treats leading into the door. Thank goodness for digital cameras so we can watch for him!

It's been 2 weeks today. He looks skinny and totally freaked out. I feel so badly he won't come in!