Indoor cat beating on my outdoor-indoor, spends less time inside.

Elvey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i am unsure how to remedy this, my indoor F Sphynx (2) and my outdoor-indoor M DSH(2), had a slow introduction 3 mos. . (I adopted her just 4 mos before he showed up at back door) Got along good for a time , she even showed some affection with him. But she became more and more aggressive with him when playing to the point it was no longer play. she is constantly trying to knock him over and off things, with body slamming or beating him ambush with her paw, biting. Poor guy is so chill and good natured. He constantly submits to her, but she keeps at it. He gently defends himself, and has never been offensive. He even for a time was bringing her live rodents. But since he has outdoor access, he now runs for the hills and is staying away more and more often. Infact he now stays away all day or stays outside until i come home. I worry about this since I have been trying to get him to be inside more. I feel bad locking him in at night since she stalks him. (He is starting to leave before i can lock him in) I have to play cop. I started closing her in the bathroom at night or I wont get sleep. But now she is becoming untrusting of me. I tried positive reinforcement, showering her with attention etc. but doesn't work. She seems to get triggered by him just coming in now, and goes into crazy mode. I think the whole reintroduction thing will give my male the wrong signal if I limit his space in my home again. He already feels ousted. (They have plenty of resources between them). 🙏

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By him going out, he comes home every evening smelling different. So essentially, he's a stranger/new cat every night. This could be why they don't get along. Also, if the house has become her territory, and outside is his, then she might not like him in her space any longer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I think the whole reintroduction thing will give my male the wrong signal if I limit his space in my home again.
You're going to lose him if you don't bring him in permanently, starting right now.

Try the reintroduction process, add Cat Music and also try this;

either with real vanilla (rather than synthetic) or raw coconut (which still has fragrance) ;
From member valanhb;
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", then he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.
This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite

How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite

If nothing works, you may be looking at rehoming him or her, because you don't want him to end up staying outside permanently and continuing to run the gauntlet of all the risks to his health and wellbeing. This article is titled for kittens but is viable for any pet, of any age;
"Kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By him going out, he comes home every evening smelling different. So essentially, he's a stranger/new cat every night. This could be why they don't get along. Also, if the house has become her territory, and outside is his, then she might not like him in her space any longer.
Thanks for the response. So, I get this to some degree, but what doesn't make sense about it is I go out, sit in other peoples homes, pet & hold their dog or cat, spend all day at work…etc. and she never reacts adversely to me. I can only assume I have my basic smell that she is familiar with. Now why wouldn't this apply to my other cat?
He only goes to finite places and interacts with finite things all of which would eventually have a familiar smell. It’s curious.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, humans are a little different, but my cats act a little weird around me when I first come home from vacation. They like me better after I shower and smell right again. You have a 3rd cat or ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She never reacts differently to me in that regard, but she also has a terrible sense of smell, she’s a chronic congestion. She cant even smell food right in front of her. I don’t have a third cat, but I had planned when I got her, to get a second indoor cat. The outdoor male was a surprise. Anyway turns out a neighbor thinks the cat she trapped who was pregnant had one of my M cat’s kittens. Probably just did the deed prior to my neutering him. I was considering adopting the m kitten, make a father out of my outdoor male:D…but now I am not so sure that I wouldn't be just creating more chaos here for all. :sigh: . I am considering cat fencing for my M.