Indolent Ulcer....Severe

Veronica2789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My name is Veronica and I am new here. My baby boys name is Charlie. I have been battling for the past 4 years rodent ulcer, also known as eosinophilic granuloma complex.

It started with an ulcerative lip. He was given a few series of steroid shots and put on Atopica. It cleared up after a year but not without leaving a scar. Now he is my little vampire with fangs. I thought we were out of the woods until a granuloma popped up on his tongue and on the roof of his mouth lesions. We started another line of treatment and nothing. Liquid prednisone, doxy, atopica...nothing. Now, my poor babies front paw is huge. I've taken him to two different vets and they say its his rodent ulcer that has spread. I've done a lot of research and it looks like "pillow paw" but oh, it looks so painful and angry. He is on doxy again and prednisone but it seems to only look worse. They are going to refer me to UT (A nearby dermatologist) but their wait time is unimaginable. I feel alone and so helpless for my baby.

Any pointers, suggestions, or experience is much appreciated.

NoveaStar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a cat with rodent ulcer too. It comes and goes and it sounds like you have tried alot of things! I dont have any advice though but maybe you could inbox me some things i could try? I have no idea how to help her, i tried changing food, food bowls, litter etc but nothing. I hope your kitty gets through this! That sounds just aweful i am so sorry.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is a very good article on eosinophilic granuloma complex, including various treatments. My very first thought was "what are you feeding" as often food can contribute to the problem. You'll see in the article. (this article also mentions that doxy is NOT the antibiotic of choice for this medical issue :frown:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Veronica2789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a very good article on eosinophilic granuloma complex, including various treatments. My very first thought was "what are you feeding" as often food can contribute to the problem. You'll see in the article. (this article also mentions that doxy is NOT the antibiotic of choice for this medical issue :frown:)
For some reason I cannot see the article you posted. I would be interested in reading it! It is funny that you say that because it almost looks like it has gotten worse since he has been on the Sony. I made an appointment today with a dermatologist 2 hours away. Hopefully they can help me.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe this is what my vet diagnosed my cat with. He has the “plaque” form which is a pink rash of bumps covering his inner thighs, and some of his stomach/chest. It causes him to overgroom constantly. It didn’t really show up until January this year. He is 2 years old.

We tried diet change (Royal Canin Selected Protein rabbit $$$$), corticosteroid injection, antibiotics and prednisolone. After tapering off pred, it just comes back. I think this is the third time.

Don’t know what to do at this point but my kitty is losing all of his lovely black fur on those spots. We have a follow up friday. Really I can’t afford to do more testing that leads to no relief or cure. His looks pretty mild compared to some pictures I’ve seen, which makes me question if that’s even what he has.

I hope you find a solution for your kitty soon!

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I believe this is what my vet diagnosed my cat with. He has the “plaque” form which is a pink rash of bumps covering his inner thighs, and some of his stomach/chest. It causes him to overgroom constantly. It didn’t really show up until January this year. He is 2 years old.

We tried diet change (Royal Canin Selected Protein rabbit $$$$), corticosteroid injection, antibiotics and prednisolone. After tapering off pred, it just comes back. I think this is the third time.

Don’t know what to do at this point but my kitty is losing all of his lovely black fur on those spots. We have a follow up friday. Really I can’t afford to do more testing that leads to no relief or cure. His looks pretty mild compared to some pictures I’ve seen, which makes me question if that’s even what he has.

I hope you find a solution for your kitty soon!
I saw in another thread you posted on that your Vet did a skin scraping on your boy. What did that show? From the picture, it looks more like a rash of some sort. Have you tried switching to a natural litter, since it's on his under side? Just a thought. Or did you do allergy testing? How long has he been on the RC Selected Protein? Is it the dry food version? Food trials take a long time, as in 3 months (ish) to see if they work. But that food has peas or pea protein in it and some cats have allergies to peas, although they usually manifest around their neck and head or cause digestive problems, but not always. Just a suggestion, but you could try freeze dried raw food. It comes in rabbit or venison and doesn't have some of the other "junk" in it that isn't really cat friendly. If he doesn't like wet food, you could feed it to him dry. I feed it both ways to my guys. Of course, wet if best when used as a meal vs treat just because they need moisture in their diets.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been on RC diet wet/dry since January. We did not do allergy testing yet. My vet is “anti-raw” diet due to bacteria being introduced into our living environment lol. I also don’t like the pea protein/grain free. I don’t know if it’s worth keeping him on RC rabbit if it’s not working and it’s so expensive. The only other litter I tried before was the pine but after my cats tried to eat it I had to stop.

I recently switched to part time employment so I can go back to school and finances are really a problem now. I can’t afford to do all of this testing that leads to nothing. My other cat is more sick than this one and the vet just wants to do more te$ting and expensive treatments. We spent thousands in vet bills already this year and cannot do more.