Indolent (rodent) ulcer

Skittykitty247

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Skittles, is suffering from a rodent ulcer on her lower lip that she’s had for about 6 months now. We have been through every standard treatment - steroids, cyclosporine, changing diet, flea treatment etc. No idea what started the immune reaction in the first place. It is growing larger instead of shrinking. It is actually a large lump protruding from her bottom lip now, and is causing her much discomfort when eating. I’m considering asking the vet if laser surgery might be an option at this point? Wondering if anyone has any experience with this and whether or not surgical removal has helped?? I’m desperate to try anything to help her at this point

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm with you, I'd talk to the vet again. Would your vet be willing to consult with a university veterinary medicine department?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really can't be of any help, but sometimes when one member responds, others follow soon thereafter. Have you searched on this site for similar threads? If not, see link below for posts from others who have dealt with this issue.

Also, the one thing I didn't see in your attempts to identify the cause is inhalant allergies - they too can cause these ulcers.

And I just noticed Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested dermatology, specifically a vet university - if you haven't gone down that path yet - is a very worthy approach.
Search Results for Query: rodent ulcers | TheCatSite

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Don't know is you've seen this thread specifically, but there might be some useful information in it. There is also some stuff you probably don't need, but just "fast forward" through what's not appropriate: Steroid alternatives for rodent ulcers

I don't know anything about laser surgery for rodent ulcers, but if that's an option, why not? My only question is, are they absolutely certain that's what it is? Did that biopsy it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skittykitty247

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I'm with you, I'd talk to the vet again. Would your vet be willing to consult with a university veterinary medicine department?
Thank you for the suggestion. We have an appointment with the vet this Friday, I will ask. Or maybe if there is a vet that specializes in dermatology. I just hope there is SOMETHING that can be done to help my poor Skit. If it gets any bigger, she’s not going to be able to eat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skittykitty247

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't know is you've seen this thread specifically, but there might be some useful information in it. There is also some stuff you probably don't need, but just "fast forward" through what's not appropriate: Steroid alternatives for rodent ulcers

I don't know anything about laser surgery for rodent ulcers, but if that's an option, why not? My only question is, are they absolutely certain that's what it is? Did that biopsy it?
No they never did a biopsy. It was diagnosed based on appearance, and my vet said she would do a biopsy if the steroids didn’t work. She also said that if it is oral cancer it is unlikely that Skittles would still be alive now...6 months later. I am hoping they can biopsy it after they remove it. I will definitely ask. Thanks for the thread you suggested. I will check it out.