Inconsistency in wet food?

lelelele23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing I am running into is the inconsistent quality of canned cat food.  I bought a few various NV flavors a while back.  Kitties seemed to really like the venison, so next grocery trip I bought a bunch.  This batch is very dry!  I have to add a bit of water and mash it up for them to eat it...also for me to find it acceptable to feed them it.

I have not only found this with NV but other brands as well such as wellruva, pride, etc... although friskies classic pate is always the same!  LOL.

What gives?  Is there any way to navigate this?  They seemed to like the new, less wet batch, less than the previous batch.  I hate to waste money because they wont eat it after I have bought a bunch of cans.

:/

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have much advice to give but I can sympathize: I, too, often find that the consistency of a food changes. Beyond that, sometimes cans aren't filled as well as usual. It can get annoying!

One thing I can recommend is to check ingredient lists, both on cans and on manufacturers' Web sites: several foods that we feed (or used to feed) have changed their recipes in the last six months or so! (I don't feed NV so it's not one of theirs!)

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's just part of the game; if you have food being made by big machines, you may get different results with different batches.
It may also depend on the quality of the ingredients that went into that batch.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ya, to add on, if filled by machines, tendency of getting unequal variety of ingredients. Some cans have more and some has less of the same ingredient and some are a little dry. If certain cans look dry, just add some filtered water to it.
Anyway, I feed my boy wet but I still add a teaspoon or two of water to his wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lelelele23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for your input all.  makes so much sense w/the machines and all.