Incompatible blood type

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I am so disappointed. My girls are Type B and Monty is an A. So I will have to bottle feed for at least the first 24 hrs after they're born so they don't die. Both the girls are incompatible so I am now trying to see what I'm to do about my future breeding program. I mean, this isn't something I planned on but it is something I can ensure that the kittens will live.

I am hoping you experienced breeders will have something to say about this. I am in contact with a breeder who may be able to help me find a new stud who is B.

Please let me know what you think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not really breed specific but it does happen. I have been doing more reading than a university student LOL and it depends on the breed. Sphynx are 83% A, the rest B. Devon Rex are almost 50 50, siamese are 100% all A. Moggies are almost always A they say.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not that big of a deal, you will probably even be okay with her first litter as it is often with the second litter that you really begin to see incompatibility issues (neonatal deaths, necroposy of tail tips. . .) I've had 3 litters with B mothers and A fathers and nobody in those litters had an issue--certainly no deaths! Just tube feed for the first 16 hours after birth (not 24. . . ) and the kittens will be fine. You don't need to find a new stud unless the tube-feeding is that terrible of an inconvenience to you. The danger is in the mothers colostral milk. It contains antibodies against the A bloodtype, which are not always present with the first litter but will be present with the second. You can buy formula that contains feline colustrum if you are concerned about immunity.

Also, some bloodtype kits do not recognize AB. Make sure that neither one of your cats are actually AB, because in that case you will not have a problem at all.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ferris, you are making me feel so much better. I feel horribly about it all, knowing now I should or could have been more careful. I know it's not an issue that can't be overcome, I just hate to look like some unethical BYB, which I am certainly not.

I am unsure of tube-feeding, but bottle feeding is a non-issue for me. I don't work outside the home so I can do whatever is necessary for however long to ensure the viability of the newborns.

I don't have any blood type kits, I know you can buy them but need a reputable source. My husband used to be a Medical Lab Tech, so he knows about these things quite well.

When I had the cats typed on Tuesday, the results just show the one type for each cat, the dominant. It would be interesting to know if they do have a way to do the one that is the "small" type, eg: Bb

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a few Birman breeders who've dealt with blood typing issues, they leave the kittens with mum for bonding, cleaning etc. with either sticky plasters or a baby grow suit on so they can't suckle, only taking the bubs away for feeding.

I have also heard 16 hours, as Ferris said.

UC Davies does blood typing http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/cat/
I used them for the PRA/PK Def test and got fast results even being overseas.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'll do just fine! I breed Devon Rex and we do this all the time without any problems. Bottle feed the kittens for 24 hours and make sure you have support for the everyday routines at home.

I know science says 16 hours is enough but the experience from us breeders here in Scandinavia is that 16 hours isn't enough. I sadly know breeders who have lost kittens in neonatal isoerythrolysis even though they bottled fed for 16 hours.

Very important: Do not trust the rapid tests you can use at home! We have breeders in Sweden who tried these tests (with risk free combinations just in case), had them interpreted by a vet and then double checked with regular blood typing. There were several problems:

1. It was hard to get blood from the kittens. Newborn kittens have a poor circulatory system and your best chance of getting enought blood is to use blood from the umbilical cord. There's a big risk for contamination by the mothers blood when you use the blood from umbilical cords.
2. The test was hard to interpret.
3. The test was wrong! Several kittens turned out not to have the blood type the rapid test showed.

Good luck and don't panic! Different blood types are managable.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

When I had the cats typed on Tuesday, the results just show the one type for each cat, the dominant. It would be interesting to know if they do have a way to do the one that is the "small" type, eg: Bb
How did you blood type the cats? The DNA-test shows for the recessive b-allele only. The regular serum test done on blood will give you the blood type but not carrier status.

DNA will show:
+/+ (b/b meaning the cat is b)
-/+ (meaning the cat is A or AB carrying b)
-/- (meaning A/A, AB/AB or A/AB)

Blood test will show:
A
AB
b

If combined you'll know the blood type and carrier status.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sol, thanks for your input. I know I'm late to respond, been a busy day running around the city LOL

I got the blood tests done at the vet's office who send them to a lab in the city and they get it done as soon as the blood arrives. I called them yesterday and the woman I talked to had no idea what I was asking (both alleles) so it was a waste of time.

However, I know the issue, I know how to deal with it and now the decisions will have to be made on what to do for the future. I have absolutely no problem feeding them every 2 hrs for the first 24. I believe what I read, I talked with a breeder of one of my cats (not a breeding cat) who breeds British shorthair and they have this issue in their program as well. As long as one agrees to bottle feeding, then all is good. I mean, I've wasted more than 24 hrs in my life on a lot less productive things. I will be saving lives, and it comes at no cost to me doing it.

I know I can do it, I trust my instincts and things will be just fine. I have calmed down alot since Tuesday, but wow, it was a tough road for a while. I know I am capable, have the time, and I know I have what it takes to see this through.

I bought some fuzzy socks today that I can use to cover her nipples up while I bottle feed. Just gotta do some snip snips and they'll be perfect! They will be with mom for all the rest of the times but feeding. I want to make sure she bonds with her babies.