Incidental Raw Diet- How To Reduce Risks?

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my tomcat mix diet: one wet breakfast + free dry food.

It just happens to run out of preferred dry food or the Cat to demand imperatively (:-)) fresh meat (chicken meat, more precisely).

Since "incidental" does not mean "diet", I am confuse about risks. I attempt to balance the meat by offering yogurt (which for who-knows-what reason is highly appreciated). Would that be OK for Cat's health?

My cat refuses chicken necks, which have sufficient Calcium.

Since meat meal happens only once a month, I can not afford keeping supplements.

Any fresh opinion or tips - highly appreciated!

Thank you!

+++

Note that it is not about switching to raw diet, but about managing incidental raw meat feeding.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the rule is non-complete meals should only be 10% of the diet. So if you only feed him chicken with no supplements once per month, it seems like it would be fine.

I am not an expert on raw food, but I thought there were whole prey models where you could buy a whole chicken and grind it up? But I’m not positive.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it's only once a month I don't see how one unbalanced meal would be a problem. Prey Model Raw is a way of feeding raw without supplements where everything balances out but I don't think one raw meal a month is worth all the effort.