inbreeding

ellie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anybody have any exprience with inbreeding in feral colonys?

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ellid - you might want to e/mail Hissy - she has a great deal of experience in all these feral matters.
Deb M.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Inbreeding is common in feral colonies. Inbreeding is what causes birth defects and other problems with the kittens. If the colony continues to breed within itself, it progressively gets weaker with more bizarre side effects of inbreeding, such as tumors, and blindness. Polydactyls (cats with 6-7 toes on each paw) are a result of inbreeding of a feral colony. Ernest Hemingway was so taken by the abnormality, he kept his colony together to keep this trait strong.
The best thing to do is trap-neuter and release, that way the colony can stay together but no more breeding comes into play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Hissy,

Thanks for replying. I only had one case of inbreeding and all of my ferals have been s/n. I was just curious.

However, last Friday I found out that one of my ferals had Feline Leukemia. This is my first experience with anything like this. I allready lost 4 of my cats this past month, and I don't think I can handle much more grief. I'm taking 3 of my cats to be tested tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Ellen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Debra,

I took 4 to be tested today for FIV and FeLV and they were all negative. What a relief! I hope the rest go as well. Thanks for asking.