Inbred kitten with birth defects

lorraine thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for advice. I foster kittens for local sanctuary and hand rear them. Today I’ve taken a 9 week old who is the result of inbred litter. All four legs are bent and has spinal defect along with overbite. It’s able to walk but unsteady but eating fine. I guess I’m just trying to find anyone who has tried with a kitten with similar defects to chat to. Also for opinions on how I’d work out if it’s in pain. Already had vet visits and x rays done. We are letting it grow and see outcome

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mr. Meow Mr. Meow S silent meowlook

Thank you for helping these cats, including all the others you have fostered. What did the vet say about pain issues? Initially, I would say that since the kitten is able to walk, although how unsteady may be part of the puzzle as it grows, and eat that giving it a chance is absolutely the best thing to do. I would not euthanize if that were on the table. What is the spinal defect? Prognosis? As it grows, does this get better, worse, or stay constant?

Do you have a picture?

There are a lot of handicapped pets websites Handicapped Pets Foundation such as this one. Many try to get carts for dogs, not exactly what you need, but you may find some help there for other needs for the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorraine thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vets not sure currently of how it will grow. It’s got a overbite and is very thin. I will be fattening him up and exercising him to give him the best chance possible as he’s a fighter. I’ll try and get better pictures as can’t post videos which are clearer

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Such a little sweetie! Thank you for the pic. He is very lucky to have you as a foster and looks so happy cuddled there.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Kittens are amazing and can overcome allot. I don’t have personal experience with a kitten like this. If you want, post the exam report and x-rays and I will write a vet group I’m in that has extensive knowledge in this.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking in this special baby!

I do have experience in taking care of inbred/deformed kittens and what was mentioned above is true. Kittens can overcome a LOT of differences and disabilities.

The keys here are:
-proper nutrition
--one of the best and easiest ways you can help any animal overcome something, is to give them the proper nutrition and energy to do so. Talk to others on here, or even to your vet, to find a good that can give kitty a nutritional "boost".

-exercise
--hand and hand with nutrition is exercise. Play time will build muscle, improve flexibility and allow kitty to learn the best ways to compensate for their condition. Each disability is different, so talking to a pet physical therapist on specific ways to bend/move/stretch the legs and limbs is a good way to get kitty more flexible and improve range of motion.

As far as being in pain, animals (especially cats) are notoriously good at hiding when they are in pain. Being in the wild, pain = prey. Outside of the obvious signs of pain, only your vet can really tell you if they think kitty is in pain or not. However, proper nutrition and exercise can help reduce or remove pain.

A good tip is to take lots of pictures and videos to show the vet if you have any concerns about something. It's easier for them to actually see something, rather than just hear a description of it.