Inauguration Day! Have you done your baking yet?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So here it is 5:30 in the morning and I'm so excited I can't sleep... so I'm making pumpkin pies to celebrate the inauguration! Seems like an American thing to do, and they ought to be cool enough to slice right about oath-of-office time.

As part of the National Day Of Service yesterday, I collected canned goods for a local food bank, and that felt good. Are you doing anything special to mark the start of the new era?

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh! Baking sounds good!

I'm going for an "Inaugural Run" in the park
, then to work, where they've said they will have the inauguration on the big screen in the conference room and anyone who wants to watch can watch it.

I should bring some treats.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing for me, just another day. I have three out of my four final exams this week so I'll be getting ready for them.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have some Red-White and Blue themed stuff set out at work and I'm dressing in Red White and Blue also!!

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just put my dough in a warm place to rise. I am making fresh bread to go with beef stew. Yum.

Can you believe all the people on the mall for the inauguration already. It is still three hour to go and it looks like it is filling up. I stepped outside and brrrrrrr. I know those people are cold.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by peachytoday

I just put my dough in a warm place to rise. I am making fresh bread to go with beef stew. Yum.

Can you believe all the people on the mall for the inauguration already. It is still three hour to go and it looks like it is filling up. I stepped outside and brrrrrrr. I know those people are cold.
I'm working from home so have the TV on and am watching it. It was already packed when we turned the TV on at 7AM.

Carol - how about some apple pie to go along with the pumpkin pies! nom nom nom

Happy day to everyone!!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'l be doing my normal routine today, with a dentist appointment added in (leaving for it shortly). Of course, part of my normal Tuesday routine is something Obama encourages: Volunteerism. Something I've been doing for over two years now. I'll be spending part of my day helping some kitties get homes... if anyone comes in... if not, then I'll give them as much love as I can and hope someone comes in later... then off to class!

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I baked cream cheese danishes last night. Got my radio tuned to NPR and plan on taking my lunch right smack dab at the inauguration time

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
im watching the coverage now and it just reminds me how beautiful DC is....my fave city.

i have to be at work at noon, right when the inauguration starts!! so i called my supervisor and he said i can come in late....normally i wouldnt care but this is historic.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just talked to my sister. She has 2 of the 200,000 tickets to be "close" to the inauguration. They left her apartment at 6 am, and have been in line for 3 hours. Apparently it's really really really slow going with the security.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and the mall is cordoned off ... 3 miles around... I will watch on TV - but that's about it. So, how much of a honeymoon do you think the public will give Obama?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jimmy Carter and his wife are looking so well...I can't believe they are the oldest couple..HW & Barbara Bush are looking older...

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Jimmy Carter and his wife are looking so well...I can't believe they are the oldest couple..HW & Barbara Bush are looking older...
I was just thinking the same thing.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Obama got hit with nerves and excitement during his oath of office

He's now officially the President!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Poor Obama got hit with nerves and excitement during his oath of office

He's now officially the President!
Reminded me of DH on our wedding day. He had to have the officiant repeat the vows in several places too.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Reminded me of DH on our wedding day. He had to have the officiant repeat the vows in several places too.
I had to feed DH his lines too

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought it was interesting that they got behind schedule. Obama officially became President at 12 noon, but didn't take the oath of office until a few minutes later. Last night CNN made the point that everything was scheduled down to the second because he was supposed to take the oath of office at precisely 11:56 AM and how critical the timing was.

As for me, I had a lot of errands this morning, but I got home at 11:30 and sat around with my neighbor watching the inauguration and munching on shrimp and cocktail sauce. I don't cook, so that's as fancy as it gets.

I had Thufir groomed this morning, so I picked him up after the ceremony was over. That's the last time I'm going out for the day, so I'm going to have a beer or two, watch some of the ceremonies on TV, and just enjoy the rest of the day.

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's all normal over here not exciteing planed. Then again.. we don't do much for any Holidays. Besides I'll still baked out from the december bakeing spree.. too many cookies.. *shudders*