Inappropriate urinating!!

ADG_2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I’m new here & I’m desperate for advice or similar stories!
I have a 8 year old male neutered cat. I’ve had him since he was 6 weeks old. About two years ago he started pooping outside of his litter box, I have yet to get him to start pooping in his box again. Now for the past 8-9 months he’s been occasionally peeing around our house. Usually on furniture or my sons toys. I have tried everything under the sun. He has been to the vet many times, he has been given antibiotics “just in case” he takes an anti anxiety pill everyday, I have added boxes, changed litter, make sure the boxes stay clean, I have put items on the furniture to make it impossible for the cat to even jump on the couches, I have blocked areas of the house so he doesn’t have access, I have confined him to a certain area of the house so he can have direct access and easy access to his boxes, I have bought “scat mats” to put on the furniture. I bought new furniture when we bought our house and spent thousands on stuff and he’s peeing all over it! I have a 1 year old son, 4 other animals and we both work full time. Today after I found a huge pile of pee on my sectional and ball pit for my sons I told my husband I’ve had enough im putting him down! Now that I’ve cooled off a lil it makes me sick to my stomach I’ve come to feel this way. But what else can I do? I can’t live like this. He isn’t nice, and even if he was who would want a cat that doesn’t pee or poop in a litter box? Im so heartbroken but mad and sad at the same time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Reading your post, --and I realize this doesn't make much difference in the bottom line, but it appears to me that this began about the time you became pregnant. This might not be a surprise to you, but it's significant.
I have a 1 year old son,
.. .. and his issues first appeared about two years ago.

Are you in a location where you could utilize Nextdoor . Com, or possibly better, a shelter that you could still have him at home (if they're too full to take him in) but the shelter posts about him for adoption, or whatever situation where he is safely rehomed through a viable process? I personally think that if he went elsewhere, he, and you and your family would be quite a lot more content.

I've read time and time again by shelters in their biographies of cats who were relocated into the shelter, that litterbox issues stopped.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I almost never want to suggest rehoming, but in this case, I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . A change might do him a world of good. It sounds like he is having some sort of anxiety issue, which makes you anxious, and the two of you are feeding off of each other. It happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ADG_2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Reading your post, --and I realize this doesn't make much difference in the bottom line, but it appears to me that this began about the time you became pregnant. This might not be a surprise to you, but it's significant.

.. .. and his issues first appeared about two years ago.

Are you in a location where you could utilize Nextdoor . Com, or possibly better, a shelter that you could still have him at home (if they're too full to take him in) but the shelter posts about him for adoption, or whatever situation where he is safely rehomed through a viable process? I personally think that if he went elsewhere, he, and you and your family would be quite a lot more content.

I've read time and time again by shelters in their biographies of cats who were relocated into the shelter, that litterbox issues stopped.
It definitely could have been related to the pregnancy. But he’s also always had issues off and on with this his whole life I’m usually able to stop it though. In the past it has usually been from crystals in his urine. He’s been on special food ever since and it’s helped. I will definitely look into rehoming him. All the animals that we have have been here before him so he’s used to all of them and shouldn’t cause him much anxiety. Our son could definitely be the cause of added stress but I make sure he leaves the cat alone. Thank you for your reply!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ADG_2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I almost never want to suggest rehoming, but in this case, I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . A change might do him a world of good. It sounds like he is having some sort of anxiety issue, which makes you anxious, and the two of you are feeding off of each other. It happens.
Thank you! I will definitely look into some options for cat rescues and rehoming. I don’t even kind driving a couple hours if I find something a little distance:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It definitely could have been related to the pregnancy. But he’s also always had issues off and on with this his whole life I’m usually able to stop it though. In the past it has usually been from crystals in his urine. He’s been on special food ever since and it’s helped. I will definitely look into rehoming him. All the animals that we have have been here before him so he’s used to all of them and shouldn’t cause him much anxiety. Our son could definitely be the cause of added stress but I make sure he leaves the cat alone. Thank you for your reply!
Yes but a new baby changes the life of everyone in the house. The schedule is changed, especially when he was a newborn there might not have been any schedule to it.

A cat who has urinary issues especially needs routine. Children, especially new babies, can mean that it's hard to stick to that. It's no one's fault obviously, but it's how it is.

Also the baby crying can be stressful and cause stress. That's a very natural thing.