Inappropriate peeing started in 2 year old, urine test all clear...what next?

tassie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone
This one has me baffled, would love to hear what you think.
I have a two year old male, docile, friendly, lovely boy..you know one of those just perfect cats. He has just started to pee on an arm chair :headshake: I don't know for how long as he manages to do it right in the corner but he actually went when my husband was sitting next to him and we can see it has been done previously.

He can go outdoors as he wants plus there is a litter tray indoors. He actually prefers indoors, even when playing outside he tends to run indoors to pee. Interestingly, he only pees in the box, no poop. One other cat uses the box occasionally as has always been the case. I work at home so I tend to take out the mess regularly.

Been to the vets, all tested, no issues. We spoke about behaviour, stress etc. I would say he is the top cat, he gets as much attention as he asks for, there are no threatening cats around. I would say the only thing I can see that he doesn't like about life is he would like more food!

He still wants to go there, I see 'that look' so when he goes to the chair, I call him, he follows and we go to the box, I point at it and he pees. See I told you he was lovely.

Something has upset things but I can't think what it can be.

Last edited:

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At this point, it could be he's peeing there out of habit. If he's been going on the chair but you don't know for how long, he's probably attracted to that spot by his own scent. First step would be to deodorize the areas and see if that changes your cat's math.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just guessing here - has there been any health issues with the other cats in past months - something that would have led one of them to pee there, and he then covered their scent with his, and keeps doing it because the spot still smells like urine? Regardless, of that, given it's been going on for a while now, you can try using enzymatic cleaners to get rid of the smell/stain but, you might have to have the chair professionally cleaned to ensure odor removal. Once done, see if any more inappropriate peeing occurs. Hopefully, it won't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tassie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering (and hoping) the same. It has gone completely through the chair (and damaged the wooden floor, yikes). Maybe I need to pour the solution through the chair too

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would remove the chair and then douse the floor beneath it heavily with an enzyme based cleaner like Nature’s Miracle. Just checking though on the tests the vet ran. Did he check his blood sugar and do a full blood panel?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tassie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will check blood sugar, but it was a full test and microscope analysis

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One other question, sorry, but I am wondering whether there is a chance he is spraying vs peeing since he did it while your husband was there? Is he neutered and how old was he when it was done?