Inappropriate Peeing Problems Answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

annie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet put Sasha on an anti-depressant but I can't get it down her. She spits and sputters and foams at the mouth. A friend suggested I get one of those pill shooters so I'll try that. So far, nothing seems to be working. But her's is a behavioral problem, not a UTI.

mrshotdog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine too, "spit and sputter" when I try to give pills. It is extremely difficult & adds to stress levels for all! I suspect ours have a combination of UTI and behavioral problems, as this "peeing" problem has developed during the last yr, since we moved into a different home. Unfortunately this also includes the odd "pooping" problem, which can probably be attributed to constipation? Sometimes I feel like I'm running a nursing home! One of the medical problems that was diagnosed about 6 mos ago, was a very low potassium level in my 16 yr old female. She was sent home with potassium supplements. When I pick them up from the vet I must also get more advice on giving them medication & will pass on to you if I learn anything new!

annie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a manx who had pooping and peeing problems. The vet had to clean him out a few times. The urinary problem however was more complex. Manx apparently don't have the nerve endings and don't know when they have emptied their bladders and thus, develop stones. He had a horrible time until the vet finally widen the opening (surgically). I adored that cat. He lived to be 19 but wouldn't have without the surgery. He was very well-behaved though and I always knew right off when there was a problem because he would walk right up to me and squat. Very UNLIKE him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am truly sorry the two of you are still having problems with spraying and such. Have you considered a cat behavorist? Sometimes having someone come into the home that is not connected with the cat and who can really see things that sometimes we block is very helpful. If you go to www.meowhoo.com and look under Behavior, perhaps you will find someone local to you that will help you.

annie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I'll try it. I am growing increasingly frustrated with her and feeling rather helpless with the situation at this point.

tarav

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have noticed that one of my three cats is peeing on things in my house, but the problem is, before I can figure out how to solve the problem, How can I find out which cat is doing it! I watch them very closley but have never been able to catch any one of them doing it, are there any other symptoms to look for?

mrshotdog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that sums it up exactly...I too, am feeling very helpless at this point. Am now about to try a "lift n' sift" litter box, Dr Elsey's "Cat Attract" litter which promises "100% litter box use or your money back" guarantee, along with citrus spray, and another wonder cleaner (with enzymes). What we cat lovers won't do for them
Good luck to you too, will keep you posted on my efforts too!

catmagnet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know how many cats you have in your home but as odd or gross as this sounds I could tell by the odor of the cat. The cat that was spraying would smell of cat spray after the act. I have three cats two females and one male. I would sometimes come home to somewhat fresh spray and after holding and petting each cat I could smell the scent still on the culprit. Always Mewpurr. We are still having problems with her spraying. I'm not sure what to do, nothing to-date has worked. This may sound odd but I FEEL like I have a pretty good sense as to what is causing it. I'm pretty sure she only sprays when she sees another cat outside. She is spraying between my two livingroom windows (which unfortunately is where my couch is). I have NEVER caught her in the act. I think she's just trying to mark this as HER territory. The only other place she has ever sprayed is in my basement on my new rubberbacked rugs which I have read many times is common because they do not like the smell of the rubber. Once I picked up the rugs that problem was solved. I hate to even go into my livingroom because it smells like cat spray. I had blinds up to try to keep the cats out of the windows but they just destroyed the blinds and perched themselves on the windowsills. I have cleaned with blacklights and chemicals made for cat spray, replaced carpet, and furniture, and even used the plug-ins made for relaxing the cat. I've had her checked out by the vet. All three of my cats are now fixed. I got the male neutered almost two months ago. Still Mewpurr seems to spray about once or twice a week in my livingroom. She is the most laid back of the three cats (great with the kids). I don't see her as feeling threatened by anything IN the house I really think its seeing cats in the neighborhood from the windows. I woke one night to a singing neighborhood cat perched outside my window that was the first time I discovered first hand that wonderful scent of cat spray. Even though my house/windows were all closed I think Mewpurr felt the need to Mark her territory. Its been hell in that room ever since. I'm almost ready to paint my windows black to block out any sights from the outside world. lol My husband is about ready to take her on a one way trip. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Joan

annie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tarav, You may need to get them all a check up if one is peeing and you don't know which one. Someone may have a UTI.

The saying - "This home is operated soley for the comfort and convenience of my cats" would fit. lol!

annie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Catmagnet, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

A friend of mine is taking drastic measures for her little culprit. That being that she is taking the room the cat uses, pulling up the carpet and laying tile so that she can better clean it up. She has also taken to putting litter boxes all over the place, including her and her husbands bedroom. Unfortunately, I can't afford to pull out the carpet and lay tile. Nor will I put a box in my bedroom although that is not the room Sasha uses anyway.

She has five cats. The one peeing (not spraying) has had UTIs for months but it is all cleared up now and the vet said it has become behavioral which can happen after a lengthy bout with UTIs. She is obese too so they have put her on a diet in hopes that would help the peeing, UTIs AND her health.

I dunno.

mrshotdog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Annie777,
I have a solution for giving fighting with their pills! "easy cheese" (cheez whiz in the can!) by Kraft, just squeeze out enough on your fingertip to hide the pill in and they will meow for it! thank God! the vet tech gave us a demonstration when we picked them up with their antibiotics.... even Mr Tubb, who normally turns his nose up at cheese, loves it! within a few minutes the pills are down and they are licking their chops
let me know how it works for you!

annie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try it. Thanks for the advice. She likes chicken but doesn't pay much attention to other human food, well, except tuna. Now see if this were Tas, a little chili (one bean even) and he'd be set. He's my little taco bandito.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Joan,

Did you ever check out this thread started by someone who was having the same spraying problem? She, too, was at her wit's end and was ready to strangle the cat. But after trying the various suggestions made the spraying has stopped.

In addition to checking out that thread, please make sure you spray the place between the windows with Feliway every evening and every morning. That will likely help. But, don't stop with that...please follow the suggestions in the thread I gave the link to in the first sentence. I am sure you will success if you follow these ideas.

linh1126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is probably a silly question but do male cats get UTI? Or is it just female cats? I am having problems with my Toby. He has been peeing and pooping outside of his box.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes and males are really susceptible (moreso than females) to crystals in their urine.Please take your cat to the vet soon!

linh1126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can cats with UTI give other cats in the house UTI? And how do they get UTI in the first place? How can I prevent that? I have 2 cats a little over a year old. One male and one female...both are neutered and fixed. My Toby i think is the one that has the issues. I have been watching them closely. Toby has been licking himself (his wee-wee) and he hisses at himself lately. And the other day i put him in the litter box and i left the room and he was hissing at himself again. So, its probably toby and not chloe...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UTI are not contagious.
They are caused by all sorts of reasons, stress (changes in the environment)an illness might trigger one, improper diet, some cats are just prone to getting them more than others and they usually suffer from what is known as FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease) Some people believe that feeding only dry food triggers them, when you think about that aspect, in the wild a cat will hunt prey to survive, mice, other rodents birds, all of which are about 70% moisture. We basically take that moisture content away from cats when we feed them dry food, providing them with water is fine, but they do need more moisture in their diets. So perhaps this new study that Cornell is working on with prove out, who knows?

Again, your cats need to go to the vet and get checked. Incessant licking and hissing is not a normal sign and your cat is trying to tell you something and he hopes you are listening.

Good luck!

linh1126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I'm glad there is this site! I was feeling very frustrated and worried.

catmagnet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine had an older cat that used to spray on things that were out of place. During a move the cat would spray everything in boxes and bags. Someone told her to put Cayenne pepper on the bags and the cat would not spray them. She did it and it worked. Is this not a good idea? I am tempted to put it behind my couch in my livingroom to prevent the cat from going back there but am concerned about injury or reprocussions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm concerned about the cats eyes and noses.

Status
Not open for further replies.