In Store Order Pickup Question about Petsmart and Petco

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you do in store order pickup from places like Petco and Petsmart, are you supposed to get in line at the checkout to pick up your order? It seems like that would defeat the purpose, especially if there's 2-3 people already in it. But I don't want to wait in line if I'm supposed to just say something to the cashier. The instructions they give on their websites are rather poor.

I tried curbside pickup at Petco and no one ever answered the phone. After 10+ minutes of calling and waiting I ended up going inside. I figure I'll probably just go inside for my next pickup because it's obvious stores like this aren't properly equipped to handle curbside service. I had enough problems the one time I went in Petsmart for a pickup, but at least there was no line.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They're supposed to answer the phone and bring it out to you, but the PetSmart and Petco I typically go to are short staffed...

My local PetSmart has someone who goes and gets the order so the customer doesn't have to stand in line, I'm not sure about Petco.

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The ones I've been to have a sign in the store for pick-up, separate from the line waiting to check out. I've never had an issue with curbside pickup, either. It just depends on the individual store as far as I can tell.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Petsmart has curbside pickup. You call them when you get there and describe your car. They will bring it out. I have never used this. I pick up in store and yes. You do have to get in line at the register. This is why I rarely do this. I have gone in, picked up my order and the same people who were waiting for a curbside order were still there. That is why I have never used that. I have not done this at Petco because I don't like our local store. The cat section is very small and I have found way too many cans of expired food there but that's for another thread.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use PetSmart's curbside service all the time. Place and pay for the order via the PetSmart web site, they will send you a notice that what you ordered is ready, and then you call when you arrive and stay in your car, and they bring it out to you. You can even do this for prescription foods - but, the process is longer, as it takes time to get confirmation of the prescription. Call your local store, talk to the manager, and ask for clarification.

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been using Petsmart's curbside pick up and haven't had any issues. I call as I'm pulling up to the store and they load everything in the car. Sometimes I still need to go inside, and will get my order at the cashier when I'm paying for other items.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.

I did place my order and picked up in-store. Only one checkout was open with two customers there and the cashier was having problems with the one customer. It was so noisy that I would've had to yell through my mask for the cashier to hear me while social distancing, so I just stood in line. Thankfully an employee opened up a second register and the person in front of me nodded that I could go over, he probably recognized that I wasn't making a purchase since I came in the door then got in line. The cashier had my stuff in less than 90 seconds.

I'm fairly certain I would've had to wait the same amount of time or longer had I used curbside pickup. Maybe next time I'll try curbside. If I do in-store pickup again I'll probably call to ask what I'm supposed to do when I get there. I do like using in-store pickup there because it's easier to make sure my order is correct before going home. I know that Walmart offers hassle free refunds when they mess up a curbside grocery order, but I don't know about Petsmart.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know if Petsmart's online prices are the same as the in store prices? I was looking at the store brand litter online and it was marked down to around $6 or so for a 42 lb. box but it was for in-store purchasing only. I stopped buying stuff at Petsmart a few years ago because I always had pricing issues with them no matter which store I went to. I may have to shop there again because I'm switching cat food. Ugh!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
does anyone know if Petsmart's online prices are the same as the in store prices?
A lot of stores are doing this "in-store only" or "online only" thing - like you, I'm basically shopping around to find the best deals :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A lot of the stores where I shop actually have a discount if you order online for pickup.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will pay a bit more for curbside service with PetSmart than to try to get some of these foods through Walmart - who do NOT offer curbside for anything but groceries (that is, human groceries). But, PetSmart does make some deals for on-line orders. So, I think I might pay 1 cent more to get curbside with them than I would pay to have to go inside Walmart for Fancy Feast pates. Small extra price to pay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will pay a bit more for curbside service with PetSmart than to try to get some of these foods through Walmart - who do NOT offer curbside for anything but groceries (that is, human groceries). But, PetSmart does make some deals for on-line orders. So, I think I might pay 1 cent more to get curbside with them than I would pay to have to go inside Walmart for Fancy Feast pates. Small extra price to pay.
Wait! What! Are you saying Walmart doesn't offer pet food as part of its curbside grocery service where you live? Or am I reading that wrong?

I've been getting cat food and cat litter through Walmart's curbside grocery service since March. I've even bought other things like furnace filters, dowel rods, light bulbs, etc. They also offer some clothing - mostly socks and underwear.

Petsmart did have a deal recently where some prices were marked down, then they offered 15% off if you chose to pickup in-store or curbside. I actually prefer getting dry food and litter from Target because the prices are just as good as Walmart's, cheaper than Petsmart's and I get 5% off every purchase for having their RedCard store credit card. I actually just got $20 off what should've been a $61 order. They already had a sale on the dry food, then they offered 25% off on top of that, and $10 off for orders over $50. Plus I used a promo code and ended up with a free $5 gift card. Pretty sweet.

But yeah, I'm having to shop around without going in stores. I don't have a smartphone so that does complicate things when doing grocery pickups.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wait! What! Are you saying Walmart doesn't offer pet food as part of its curbside grocery service where you live? Or am I reading that wrong? I've been getting cat food and cat litter through Walmart's curbside grocery service since March. I've even bought other things like furnace filters, dowel rods, light bulbs, etc. They also offer some clothing - mostly socks and underwear.
I am sure there are a few exceptions for items other than human groceries, but not many. Most of the items you listed can be ordered and picked up, but you have to go INTO the store, use your order number at a kiosk, and wait for someone to bring them to you. And, if you ordered enough items, you had better have found a cart before you wait because they do NOT offer one to you. Last time I did in-store pick up, I couldn't even find a clean cart.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone.

I did place my order and picked up in-store. Only one checkout was open with two customers there and the cashier was having problems with the one customer. It was so noisy that I would've had to yell through my mask for the cashier to hear me while social distancing, so I just stood in line. Thankfully an employee opened up a second register and the person in front of me nodded that I could go over, he probably recognized that I wasn't making a purchase since I came in the door then got in line. The cashier had my stuff in less than 90 seconds.

I'm fairly certain I would've had to wait the same amount of time or longer had I used curbside pickup. Maybe next time I'll try curbside. If I do in-store pickup again I'll probably call to ask what I'm supposed to do when I get there. I do like using in-store pickup there because it's easier to make sure my order is correct before going home. I know that Walmart offers hassle free refunds when they mess up a curbside grocery order, but I don't know about Petsmart.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know if Petsmart's online prices are the same as the in store prices? I was looking at the store brand litter online and it was marked down to around $6 or so for a 42 lb. box but it was for in-store purchasing only. I stopped buying stuff at Petsmart a few years ago because I always had pricing issues with them no matter which store I went to. I may have to shop there again because I'm switching cat food. Ugh!
Petsmart will often offer a discount of 5-10% on certain items (including some food) if you order online and pickup at the store. I buy from them when they do this. If you get their emails, they let you know when they are doing this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just found out that PetSmart does delivery too! And, since I just did that for the first time, I am kind of unclear why - at least in my area - they are using Door Dash for delivery. No delivery charge. But, they also didn't ask about applying a tip either. We'll see what happens!

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A lot of stores are doing this "in-store only" or "online only" thing - like you, I'm basically shopping around to find the best deals :)
To add onto this, if you shop in store, PetSmart (and Petco) will price match their respective websites.