In Shock

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took in two of my foster kittens this morning for their spays. I just got a call that one of them passed away. She's seemed perfectly healthy the entire time I've known her and her pre-op screening didn't show anything, but apparently she had an enlarged liver and there was some crackling in her lungs before she went into cardiac arrest. We're all in shock and everyone at the vet's office is traumatized. She was maybe three or four months old. I'd spent the past two months loving the feral out of her and she was just the sweetest little thing. Our foster coordinator told me that she'd get me her ashes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So a quick update. The vet did a post-mortem x-ray because she was so shocked and the only strange thing that showed up was the enlarged liver. The cat shelter is unable to afford an autopsy, but we think Andromeda most likely had some kind of congenital condition. Unfortunately, she likely wouldn't have had a very long life and I am grateful that she passed peacefully in her sleep. My heart is still broken, however, as she was a very young, very sweet kitten.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When death happens so unexpectedly it shatters the soul. I pray you can find some peace in knowing you gave her so much in her short time here on earth. To have still been feral and dying alone and being forgotten later would have been unimaginable.
I don't know why these things happen, such horrible things happen to good people and their loved ones. Your heart and soul have bonded with that little girl, she will live on through you now, in your memory, and the love that will forever reside in your heart. She is at peace because she knows your love, bless you so much for giving her so much.
My heart goes out to you, you will be blessed for continuing to do so much for these lost little ones. Your caring and love makes all the difference in their world, and although the pain can be just as much as the happiness, we all have to know pain to make happiness all that sweeter.
The grief will be overwhelming at first, try to concentrate on the little one left in your care, she will need you too right now. Let her love and her happiness in being alive be your anchor, you can help each other fill that gaping hole in both your lives.
Thank you for doing what you do, there are too many that ignore the suffering in this world. You are an angel to help bring joy into ll those little lives.........RIP Andromeda. You will always be missed, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am deeply sorry for your loss. In her short life, she has rightfully earned her wings.
She is now one of the angels guiding you in your everyday journey in life, the same way as you had taken good care of her and loved her while she was with you.

Hang in there.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, everyone, for your well-wishes and condolences. I think it's going to take me a while to process this, but I'm glad that I was able to provide a warm, caring environment for Andromeda for the past two months. I've just adopted her sister, and am planning to hopefully do an honorary posthumous adoption for Andromeda as well. I think that she deserves a place to call home.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this.

:hugs:

Andromeda was incredibly lucky. So lucky to have been rescued and known love for her short time here on earth. Even though she was only here for a couple of months her life was immeasurable better because of you.

Rest in peace little girl.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I took in two of my foster kittens this morning for their spays. I just got a call that one of them passed away. She's seemed perfectly healthy the entire time I've known her and her pre-op screening didn't show anything, but apparently she had an enlarged liver and there was some crackling in her lungs before she went into cardiac arrest. We're all in shock and everyone at the vet's office is traumatized. She was maybe three or four months old. I'd spent the past two months loving the feral out of her and she was just the sweetest little thing. Our foster coordinator told me that she'd get me her ashes.
It sounds like thanks to you, she had a very loving and happy few months. Short as they may be, because of you she was loved and safe. As heart breaking as the situation is, you brought warmth to her and that is the most precious thing.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I took Cassiopeia (Andromeda's sister who I foster failed) into the vet for a checkup and asked about Andromeda. The vet I spoke to wasn't personally involved in the spay, but she was there that day. She told me that little Andromeda had come out of surgery and was in recovery when they found her not breathing, though her heart was still beating. They put her on oxygen and started CPR, but it was too late. That, combined with the enlarged liver, has me very confused as to what could have possibly happened to the poor girl. I just hope she didn't suffer.
They also gave me Andromeda's ashes and her paw print. I spoke to our shelter director about an honorary posthumous adoption and we'll be doing that at some point in the not-to-distant future. I'm happy to say that Cassiopeia is doing very well and has settled in with my family very smoothly, though I may need to have a conversation her about her 4am zoomies and attempts to walk on my keyboard.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The confusion and pain will last a long time, it is normal in grieving. I'm so sorry.....
I'm happy though that Cassiopeia is doing well, happy for you and her. She will eventually grow out of those 4AM zoomies (I hope!) they usually sleep a lot more as they age. All the luck!