In keeping with the Exotic cats questions

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was wondering what you feel about Bengal cats. I know they are considered domesticated, however the 5,000 years of domestication doesn't apply to them, because they are only 4 generations away from the Asian Leopard cat. I have a Bangel and he's the sweetest little guy you'd ever want to meet, but he is very playful. Do you think he's safe to have in the home?

elizabeth a.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard anything to make me think Bengals are not safe to have in the home. I think the original crossbreeding introduced new genes, but selection since then has been pretty stringent to get rid of anything undesirable. And the same can't really be said about wolf-dog hybrids, I don't think, as the "wild" aspect seems to be valued there, so the selection pressures are different. Plus the wolf blood tends to be a lot of generations closer as there's not really a new breed being developed as there was with the Bengal.
So love them and don't fret about being devoured!

mellanie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Except for when they go to the vet's, Bengal's are great pets! (I'm a vet assistant, and have never met a Bengal at work who didn't go absolutely psycho when examined, including my own!) I have a little girl, she just turned one year old on Saturday.

bengal cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My retired queen Lady Luck is never psycho when she goes to the vet. I guess I got lucky with her. I do have some boys who can be a bit nutty at the vets.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Loki (marble Bengal) is 3 1/2 and they sweetest boy- he sleeps with me tucked into my left armpit!!!!!!! At the vets he get's scared and tucks himself into my arms.

I my opinion if a cat, any cat, is not safe around humans it's usually because of very bad experiences with humans.