In heat, run away

benjamin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I really need some advice as I'm worried about my cat.

She a worried type, very indoor cat and wouldn't go further than the shed on a sunny day. But, yesterday evening she was no where to be seen and my cat was in heat. Shes already been pregnant once, do you think that she could of gone searching for the same Tom again?

Getting very worried by the minute, do you think she will come back?

Thank you
Benjamin

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully she will... Probably so, and very pregnant.
Sorry, but why hasn't she been spayed yet since her last pregnancy? And I am also sorry to ask this too, but I have to... How come an intact female cat in heat is allowed to run loose? The least that can happen to her is a pregnancy, please keep that in mind.
To answer your question, a female in heat will go after any Tom, not an specific one, and many will come after her.

Please, for her health, spay her ASAP.

Vibes to your poor little girl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

benjamin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there Carolina.

Unfortunately I'm not a professional with cats unlike yourself. I have intentions of her getting pregnant but I wasn't of knowledge that she could be in danger from that? Please explain.

At the moment I don't have plans for her to be sprayed. Why should I exactly?

An update on her whereabouts, I've contacted the RSPCA and they will contact me if someone phones.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you have intentions of getting her pregnant?

Every heat cycle your cat goes through increases her risk of many diseases, including pyometra and cancers. As well, they experience increased anxiety and stress because they want to mate which can cause issues itself.

As far as being outside, she will be looking for a mate but every intact male cat will be looking for her, male cats can be vicious in fighting over a female in heat, and the female can get stuck in the middle of the fight and injured.

Only purebred cats, where the breeder is looking to continue the breed should be bred, and only to health guaranteed purebred males, not just any cat on the street

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are also complications and risks associated with pregnancy itself.

Not to mention communicable diseases she can pick up from other cats while roaming... such as Leukemia and FIV. Vaccines are not 100% at preventing disease!

Im not as familiar with cat reproduction as I am with dogs.. but I know dogs can indeed get STD's.. Im sure there are diseases in cats that can be spread thru sexual contact as well. Someone who knows more about cat breeding may be able to shed more light on the subject.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Benjamin,

You don't mention where you live. Where I live cat overpopulation is a huge problem. Only one kitten out of each litter gets a life long home - those are poor odds. That is the biggest reason why many pet people are big fans of spaying - too many pets not enough homes.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please read the TCS rules:

2. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cats. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. If you take care of a feral colony, please make sure to do so responsibly by practicing TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) protocols within the colony. By spaying and neutering, you enhance a cat's quality of life and improve their longterm health. You are also proving your love for cats because in acting as a responsible pet owner/caregiver you are minimizing the problem of cat overpopulation.
Thousands of cats are euthanized each year in the US because there aren't enough homes for them all. In fact, I've been responsible, on several occasions, for deciding who to euthanize at the local shelter. Please have your cat spayed, for her health & safety.

benjamin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Pat Traufield
The country I live doesn't have problems with cat population.

Hello white cat lover
I feel very insulted with your comment. I love my cat very much, I've been worried sick for a day now and the last thing I need to be told is I hate her through stupidity.
Unfortunately, I'm not a cat expert. I merely googled "cat advice" for support.

Thank you for your comments. As soon as I find my cat I will seek professional advice on the dangers of my cat not being sprayed.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Benjamin..
Please dont feel insulted. There are many people that don't know the risks associated with pregnancy or leaving a cat intact. Many people also are not aware of the population problem either.

This is what an internet forum is for- to educate and to learn. Stick around, learn- and soon you will be one who is offering advice too!

I do hope you find your kitty. Do keep searching.. take a photo to your neighbors and ask if they have seen her. Post up some flyers. I suggest using the word "REWARD" on the flyer.. you dont have to offer a big reward, but people are more likely to return a pet they have found if they think they can get abit of money for it. Also do check local shelters to be sure she isnt there. Dont call them.. go check. Only YOU can properly ID your kitty!

Please get her spayed once found. She will be less likely to try to wander if she is spayed.. if she's not wandering, then you wont be going thru this worry!

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What country do you live in, Benjamin, because I find it hard to believe that ANYWHERE is suffering from a shortage of cats.

benjamin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello nekkiddoglady
I live in England.

Hello Pat Traufield
I intend to use this forum again for cat advice. However I'm not sure where my place would stand on being a regular member. How could I contribute to this type of forum with little knowledge of the subject?

Those ideas are great. The RSPCA centre is only open on Tuesdays which I find very frustrating, but I will pop there next week. I've also asked my neighbours to keep an eye open.

Thank you for the kind advice.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope you find your cat soon or that she comes back of her own accord. I also hope she lives a long and happy life with you. But you can help her have a good life by getting her spayed - forgetting the total population, individual cats that are spayed or neutered have a better chance. They have fewer cancers for example. A female cat is at risk of picking up infectious diseases, some of them very serious, every time she mates and she can pass some of these on to her kittens. Pregnancy and giving birth can cause complications, especially if a cat continues to have one or two litters per year as she would if allowed to mate whenever she goes into heat. And as you have discovered, a cat in heat will disappear for days in search of a mate and can meet with all kinds of accidents.

A cat does not miss being pregnant or having kittens, she does not know about such things, and your cat will be much calmer and happier if she is spayed. I suggest that when your cat returns you have a talk with a vet about it all and then you can make up your mind.

Once again, I send you good vibes for her return safely.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope your cat returns safely soon, and you can get her spayed ASAP.

England absolutely does have problems with overpopulation of cats - too many cats die each year because the shelters are full.

The most responsible thing to do with a litter of kittens is to ensure they have their vaccinations, are dewormed, had flea treatment, and vet checks, and are spayed/neutered before they go to a new home. You should also make sure you have a contract with the owner saying they will never give away or dump the cat, that they will bring it back to you if they can't keep it for any reason, if your vet won't spay/neuter before 8 weeks when they're ready for adoption, that the new owner promises to have it done as soon as they are old enough. You should also be willing and able to take back any cat that the owner can't keep in the future.

If you cannot do all of these things, then you should consider having your kitty spayed ASAP which may involve aborting any kittens if she has been able to get pregnant.

But please do go and talk to your vet about what is best for her, and I sincerely hope that she returns very soon, I'm sure you love her very much!

Do stick around, even if you can't contribute a lot to other people's kitty problems, you can get a lot of helpful advice regarding health, nutrition, behaviour and other related things.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Benjamin,

We all have to learn at some point. While you might not know things yet, if you stick around you will learn a lot. EVERY country has a pet overpopulation problem - maybe you just are not aware of things.

Its far better to spay your female as soon as she comes home and not let her have another litter of kittens who may wind up in shelters and killed due to lack of homes.

Unspayed females can get pregnant at every heat cycle and the longer you allow this to happen, the higher the risk is of pyrometra (infection of the uterus) or early cancers. You don't have to "seek the advice of professionals" to know the dangers.

I do hope you find her quickly and then call your vet and have them do an emergency spay right away. Your cat will be happier and healthier.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Benjamin. We have lots of members in England, please remain as one of them.
I joined TCS before I owned my first cat (and I knew very little), and since then I've learned a lot.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, i do hope your cat returns.

being an english member, there is a huge problem with an overpopulation of cats

benjamin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you jennyranson, sarahp and GoldenKitty45.

I believe my cats (and previous kittens) don't have any sought of disease of I know because I did get the recommended vaccinations , I believe the flu one? but I'm not too sure.

I will pop to the vet however when my cat comes back to see if shes pregnant. At the moment I don't want to abort the possible kittens but if they are infected without cure then I guess the value of life wouldn't be as great.

My cats name is Misty by the way

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many more vaccines than "the flu one..." Since she is allowed outside, she really needs the core vaccines including rabies (and IMO spayed).

I am not being mean at all, but I am very curious... Why do you feel the need to breed a no-breed cat? If you want kittens, you can foster a momma cat & kittens though your local cat org, who really need help. What is the purpose of breeding her, honestly?

I hope you stick around, I really do. Your not stupid, or anything... just mis-informed.

Many that Misty comes back healthy and happy, and not preg!!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

There are many more vaccines than "the flu one..." Since she is allowed outside, she really needs the core vaccines including rabies (and IMO spayed).
In England? Do they even vaccinate for it anymore unless one is taking their pets to a country with rabies?

But yes, please just go get her spayed. Waiting, then checking for kittens is a waste of time and money. You could get her spayed ASAP and put your money to better use - protecting your cat.
Since it's normal to let them roam there, is she microchipped? If not, that's another thing to consider.