In general do many cats suffer nausea after anesthesia and teeth cleaning?

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lily is about to have her teeth cleaned and she is almost 5 years old.
She eats only wilderness dry indoor cat food chicken flavor
does not like any canned food, will not eat soft food.

Her teeth are yellow but no brown on them.
Its preventative is why I am having them cleaned at nearly
5 years old for the lst time and hope to not do it again
for many more years..

Do any of you have cerenia given as an injection during anesthesia while they are cleaning the cats teeth?
Would you use this on a healthy cat age 5 to prevent nausea from anesthesia?

Would you give her one fourth of a 4 mg Zofran tablet if she acted sick when I take her home that day
the vet said okay on that..but then again it would be hours after the cleaning when I am told to pick her up
so that would not help her if she was sick immediately...after cleaning..

Also when the teeth are yellow and med yellow at the back teeth is that an indicator
that the teeth need cleaning?

Thanks Lily and Sheri

Attachments

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I had this done on an older cat who had a rotten tooth pulled at the same time. They only gave her fluids and general anisthetic. She was not nauseated by the anisthetic. The only thing that happened was she was very tired and not interested in her dinner, she also snored like a chainsaw that night.

Next morning however she was hungry and a bit groggy.

Have you tried just brushing her teeth or sticking your finger in her mouth to see if she would tolerate it? You can get a toothbrush that slides over your finger. Just gently rub the sides of the molars and canines.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a couple of cats that went in for cleaning, and one for a broken tooth. None received anything from me and were fine. Even the one with surgery came home and ate right away. I haven't had any cleanings done at all for 5 years now since I started using water treatment additive for tartar control. In fact my Dutch's teeth were very yellow, that is why I started it , they are white now! I use Oratene and Oxyfresh. Just make sure it is for cats, and is odorless. I get mine on Amazon. I didn't read close enough on one and it said mint flavor, my cats wouldn't drink it. I gave it to my daughter for her dog since it was for both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you both
I did use oratene odorless for 4 years and it helped the plaque did not seem to stick as hard the vet said

but it was there on the older cats teeth he was 12...

the vet did not push getting his teeth cleaned..

Lily has had water additive since she was adopted by us 4 and half years ago
I am sure it has helped as her teeth are not brown and no redness at gums
they are yellow...

I did get a soft baby toothbrush yesterday and ordered malt flavor cat toothpaste
and will try to do this often weekly after the cleaning and healing from that
cleaning on Feb 4th.

anything else you can think of please reply..anyone.
Thanks for Lily

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You will want to get her accustomed to the toothbrush without toothpaste and get her used to having her mouth touched it could take a while depending on how easygoing she is. Start with just touching her lips and work your way up to the toothbrush over a few days. When she tolerates you handling her mouth give her lots of praise. If she bites or snaps at you stop immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had this done on an older cat who had a rotten tooth pulled at the same time. They only gave her fluids and general anisthetic. She was not nauseated by the anisthetic. The only thing that happened was she was very tired and not interested in her dinner, she also snored like a chainsaw that night.

Next morning however she was hungry and a bit groggy.

Have you tried just brushing her teeth or sticking your finger in her mouth to see if she would tolerate it? You can get a toothbrush that slides over your finger. Just gently rub the sides of the molars and canines.
Well since I posted that lily did not really need a dental cleaning and still does not at eight years old
I am going to start back rubbing wet cotton pad around her teeth with water
I did use cet toothpaste a few year ago
The malt flavor
Just thought I would repost the update and thank you sheri and lily may 31 2023
ECD27B52-90CE-4EC8-8339-BD89543F824C.jpeg