In dire need of help, please 😭

Norhaida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,we hv adopted a stray cat since 2 years back. But we'll let him out everyday as per usual. Only that he hv a place to come home now. Seems that he hv an archenemy and they frequently fighting. The other cat always attack him for territory fighting i think. Latest, the fight has been real bad and my cat fell sick. We realised he has an infected wound over the proximal part of the tail near to the anus and also one small punch wound over the right hand. Now, it has been 2 weeks. Initially we already thought we gonna loose him but he is such a fighter and had went through the difficult period. Now, all hv left are the wounds and he cant eat. Thats the main problem. He wanted to but he cant. I've tried almost everything. He seems hungry and wantes to eat but he cant really swallow properly. So he'll be frustrated. It this 2 weeks span i already brought him to vet few times for iv drip and antibiotic and also to treat the wound. At least the abscess hs ruptured. During my visit, my cay seems to be able to eat on and off. But now its getting difficult. Please do help me. Give me some opinion. I'm ranting here because i've lost all the idea already. Thanks!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,we hv adopted a stray cat since 2 years back. But we'll let him out everyday as per usual. Only that he hv a place to come home now. Seems that he hv an archenemy and they frequently fighting. The other cat always attack him for territory fighting i think. Latest, the fight has been real bad and my cat fell sick. We realised he has an infected wound over the proximal part of the tail near to the anus and also one small punch wound over the right hand. Now, it has been 2 weeks. Initially we already thought we gonna loose him but he is such a fighter and had went through the difficult period. Now, all hv left are the wounds and he cant eat. Thats the main problem. He wanted to but he cant. I've tried almost everything. He seems hungry and wantes to eat but he cant really swallow properly. So he'll be frustrated. It this 2 weeks span i already brought him to vet few times for iv drip and antibiotic and also to treat the wound. At least the abscess hs ruptured. During my visit, my cay seems to be able to eat on and off. But now its getting difficult. Please do help me. Give me some opinion. I'm ranting here because i've lost all the idea already. Thanks!
Hi Norhaida, I'm so sorry to hear this. Why can he not eat? I know you said he cannot swallow properly, but did the vet address this issue?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What does the vet say about why he can't seem to eat? Have you discussed a feeding tube? There are many members on this site who have administered food via a feeding tube without much of a learning curve and have nursed their cats back to health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norhaida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Norhaida, I'm so sorry to hear this. Why can he not eat? I know you said he cannot swallow properly, but did the vet address this issue?
no, so far he only said to try to force feed my cat. That was during my visit when my cat Theodore dont want to eat at all. He will gag on anything that we try to give using syringe. Then, after he was a bit well, he tried to eat. My cat only want to eat raw fish and refuses other food. He tried to eat half of the fish. So i guess that is an improvement. So i said to the vet the appetite is slightly increase yesterday. So the vet gave Theodore some ivd and vitamin and said to cont feeding him since he lost his weight from 4.6 to 3.1kg in the span of 2 weeks. But after the visit he's back to cant really swallow the food. I was really frustrated and it saddened me a lot. This past two weeks has been so exhausting and worrying. I want to bring him to the vet again today but unfortunetely all the vet near my area is close today.

Norhaida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. What does the vet say about why he can't seem to eat? Have you discussed a feeding tube? There are many members on this site who have administered food via a feeding tube without much of a learning curve and have nursed their cats back to health.
I havent discussed about feeding tube yet since the discovery of Theodore, my cat cant really swallow food is quite new. Everyday he's showing new symptoms. Initially he didnt want to eat at all, the he tried to lick, then he cant lick and tend to bite but cant swallow. At one point before the veterinar visit he can eat a little bit, the only problem is the wound. So i said the appetite is improving. But after we're back from the veterinar he back to cant swallow. Its so frustrating. Theodore is frustrated too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have an oral syringe? You can take canned tuna in water (or canned chicken) and feed him the juice from it in a syringe. Take it SLOWLY, a little bit at a time. You can even try to smash the tuna and mix if with the juice to see if he can take any of it that way.

Do you have an emergency vet you could call to see if they can see him?

Norhaida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hv syringe. I tried to feed the juice and some liquid cat treats. He ate only about 4mls of them. I dunno is it enough. With the fresh wound that still dripping serous, it's difficult to really feed him without causing pain since he's struggling.😪

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
4mls - many times a day - is a good start. No emergency vet to call?

Don't fight him with the syringe when you try to feed him. Do you know how to try to different ways to syringe so that you are not having to hold his head to feed him?

Where is this wound - on is neck?

Norhaida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
4mls - many times a day - is a good start. No emergency vet to call?

Don't fight him with the syringe when you try to feed him. Do you know how to try to different ways to syringe so that you are not having to hold his head to feed him?

Where is this wound - on is neck?
I did fight with him to feed. I held him in my lap. I guess i stressed him too much that he pooped on me. There's two wounds. One on his right hand but its healing well. The one on his tail very near to the anus already. That one is big and there's still some discharge coming out. So he cant sit properly. The problem in my hometown is we hv limited vet. The vet surgeon in the clinic that i went is on leave for 2 weeks. The one that left cant do operation. He said other solution for my cat is for tail amputation but the surgeon is not available currently. I'm sorry i am so haywired. The two main problem for my cat now is that he cant eat well and the wound at the tail. Otherwise, he's active and whiny. He cant sit anywhere that he want because of the discharge coming out.😭😭😭 sorry..

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I did fight with him to feed. I held him in my lap. I guess i stressed him too much that he pooped on me. There's two wounds. One on his right hand but its healing well. The one on his tail very near to the anus already. That one is big and there's still some discharge coming out. So he cant sit properly. The problem in my hometown is we hv limited vet. The vet surgeon in the clinic that i went is on leave for 2 weeks. The one that left cant do operation. He said other solution for my cat is for tail amputation but the surgeon is not available currently. I'm sorry i am so haywired. The two main problem for my cat now is that he cant eat well and the wound at the tail. Otherwise, he's active and whiny. He cant sit anywhere that he want because of the discharge coming out.😭😭😭 sorry..
I’m going to respond in hopes that someone else will be able to help. All I can suggest is the vet which you don’t have access to.

Norhaida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m going to respond in hopes that someone else will be able to help. All I can suggest is the vet which you don’t have access to.
Thank you so much. Your respond is already much appreciated.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried boiling chicken and shredding it?
Also gerber baby foods- meat ones only?
Also the delectables squeeze up treats or Churu inaba lickable treats(all can be amazon primed or found in pet store)
Fancy feast broths...
even turkey deli meat! I have a cat on a ton of meds and have to try all these to get him to eat
You can also ask the vet if an appetite stomulang pill or ear cream- mirataz would work for him
The pill form is mirtazepine and the cream is mirataZ.
Also ask the vet about the abscess still draining- is your cat on antibiotics or topical antibiotic cream for the abscess?

Norhaida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg amandag! Thanks so much for all the suggestion gonna try them one by one. At least now, he tried to eat a bit. I hope this will be persistent. His condition is going up and down. Thanks a lot again!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have leukemia and when they get sick they stop eating completely. The ONLY thing I can get them to eat, and that is often just a few licks, is Hartz Delectable Lickable treats in the stew, not the bisque. They absolutely love them and I give all their meds in them. It is mostly gel-like with shreds of meat and is easily digestible and hopefully high calorie. It smells good even to me.
If there is a cat out there laying in wait for your boy, and he is getting so hurt, the best thing to do is to keep him inside. sometimes the mean ones will move on. If he is not neutered, please consider doing so, I have seen mean tom cats walk right by the neutered boys. They lose their territorial drive too and are not in near as many fights. I have treated many abscesses too, they all take a LONG time to heal. You might look into an antibiotic wound spray to keep around, it does seem to help.