In Desperate Need Of Creative "break-through" Pilling Method!

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can provide a sure-fire way to administer two meds to my cat, I would be forever thankful. I have been at this since January and have failed miserably. This is a case where two brutish, strong-willed individuals collide. My cat is a 14 lb brutish "Weigie" mixed. He was a family's outdoor cat. With his insecurities with being held, taking meds and getting even two drops of water on his fur, I am beginning to doubt whether he was ever completely socialized.

I have two capsules I need to administer to my baby, one twice a day, the other once a day. He's my angel and love of my life. He goes into "beast mode" when trying to burrito pill or bath. The latter makes me consider updating my life insurance policy.

I am in desperate need of one super creative way to sneak a pill into his tummy or alternatives to administering the two capsules to my angel, suspected of having IBD. His Vet offered to trial him on Budesonide 1mg capsule daily in lieu of the invasive biopsy that I refused. He also needs the antibiotic Tylosin 50mg capsule twice daily for intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

The only option I see feasible at this point is concealing the meds in capsule form, inside his current kibble or another larger kernel type that I can transition him too soon (thinking Royal Canin's larger kibble for Maine Coons).

He loves his kibble and has declined every sort of food and treat money can buy. The expense isn't a concern for this as I am desperate and tired of seeing him suffer from this. I will list what has failed and why.

My thought is to resize the already small capsules into smaller gel caps, encase them into something sticky like thinned out Greenie Pill Pocket material, then cover them with ground up kibble. Since he typically eats the morsels whole he probably won't bite into the pill. It is absolutely imperative that I get this past his keen sense of smell and totally off-the-planet finickiness.

Things that have failed horribly or wouldn't pass his Inspector Clouseau's (The Pink Panther) suspicious sense of smell and finickiness:

Towel Burrito w/Pill Popper: Failed (like straight-jacketing Houdini)
-not doing this to him ever again for pilling. The option is totally off the table. He has an -excellent memory for stuff, especially when emotionally traumatized.

Pill slurry via syringe: Failed (spills out and requires towel Burrito)
Pill Pockets: Failed smell test
Smelly foods: Weruva, human canned tuna, all top tier wet cans: Failed smell test
Frozen raw cat food sample (thawed) Failed smell test
Blue Wilderness Soft Moist Cat Treats: Failed (worked only once for a Capstar while hungry)

*He will hunger strike any food that doesn't pass his smell test, even after not eating for over 12 or more hours. Hill's Veterinarian Diet Wet canned would not touch after 14+ hours hunger. Refused to eat the Vet's provided kibble when there for nearly 33 hours.

Just some background info on his illness. Please if you have any ideas as to getting these meds into him without stressing the both of us out, I will add you to my VIP list. :-) Please, no comments on his diagnoses or treatment. I'm just not up for discussing it. Thank you.

Many of the above food samplings were done when he had not eaten in 6 - 8 hours, the average time it takes for his tummy to settle down where he can retain water and food. Currently into 7 hours of being unable to retain food or water (some I'm sure gets through). He drinks more water in an attempts to sate the discomfort of hunger. This has been going on for about 5 months and occurs every 7 to 10 days. No worries...it will pass in a couple of hours, as it has done on a weekly basis since I took him inside over 5 months ago. He has steadily gained weight since and gone from 11 lbs his first Vet visit to a now 14+ lbs. The vet wants him back down to 12 lbs.

Thank you for any sure-fire methods, suggestions or what worked for you, if you have such a feline that senses pilling and will go to extreme measures not to be restrained and have something popped down their throat. :-)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use cheese because my kitties love cheese. I either wrap the pill in American cheese molded around the pill (just a little piece does the trick) or a small little square of cheddar cheese with the pill smashed into it. I saw this stuff at work the other day and thought it might be worth a try for a hard to pill cat. Tomlyn Pill-Masker Bacon Flavored Paste for Cats, 4-oz canister I've never tried it, though, but it might work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Stephanietx for the suggestion. 8 hours into his "involuntary" food fast he merely sniffed the cheese (I had the rest on a grilled cheese sandwich...mmm mmm good). He took right to a tbsp of his favorite kibble mix of Blue Basics LID Turkey & Potato + Orijen Cat & Kitten. Inhaled it. Now to see if he keeps it down for half hour, then he gets more. [update: threw it up 25 mins later. Gonna be a long night.]

Going to order and try the Tomlyn Pill-Masker for Cats to see if it will work. Thanks again.

Last edited:

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, what about getting some gel capsules from thriving pets. They come in various sizes. You can potentially cut them smaller so the capsule isn't so big, but I don't know how big your meds are - if you call thriving pets, tell them what meds you are using and they can tell you the smallest gel cap that will acomodate. I like to coat mine in butter and then freeze for about 5-10 minutes to set it. I have also then made a little chicken meatball with roaster chicken from costco - the key is to give some plain chicken pieces first ( wash your hands immediately after putting the pills in the gel caps so you don't have any pill scent on your fingers to transfer to the chicken - one must be sneeky when trying to out fox a cat! LOL
That might work. Maybe even put the gel capsule in a small piece of sardine? I think the gel capsule is key to hide the scent/bad taste, that's always half the battle. Then if kitty is difficult maybe always play or give a treat after so that they associate something positive with the experience. I think I read someone tried liverworst once and that worked. Cream cheese I have read works as well, you can put the gel cap in the middle of some cream cheese.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say if anything, if you use the pill pocket or that other paste stuff, never have the smell of the pill on your hand - that's always the trick - with pill pockets I'd break off a small piece, flatten it in my hand, then pick up the piece of pill with a tweezer, set it in the middle and then carefully close the pill pocket. I was told they won't touch it if you have the smell of the pill on your hand and then it transfers.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
C cat princesses Thanks for the response. My last resort is to try and resize the capsules into smaller gel caps, so that I may disguise them into something he will readily eat. The eating part is the current hurdle to cross. I offered him a can of Weruva's the one with three types of fish at meal time and he sniffed and walked away. When he was an outdoor cat a caring neighbor fed him, and he suggested to try the canned tuna again. He declined that as well, but a moment later ate a Tsp of Fancy Feast Tuna. The two outdoor cats went ballistic over the Weruva fish and the canned tuna. This cat must know my thoughts, that I'm trying to pill him. Well no pill residue on my hands with his upset stomach as it is today, and he turned his face away from a fresh empty Pill Pocket though he is very hungry.

He has sniffed every known food that I have eaten, as allow him to as he's always curious about what I eat. Only milk left in a cereal bowl interested him thus far...and only once. Can an indoor cat become so addicted to kibble, that he will refuse or lose interest any wet meaty dishes or raw meat?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you crush the pill? If yes, try baby food like turkey or chicken. Just make sure it's meat only.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any way you can get an injectable form? Cats don't have much sensation in their scruff, so a quick poke may be less traumatizing that trying to force a pill into their mouths.

Something else you could try is to crush the tablets and mix into a small amount of butter. Then smear the butter/med mix onto your cat's paw so they're forced to lick it off. Just be careful that it's high enough on their leg (more like wrist joint than paw), so if they go into the litterbox, it doesn't get covered with litter. Also be careful about the cat flinging off the butter, so use the minimum amount of butter possible and smear well.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been chasing him with a steam cleaner since 9:00 AM this morning. He hasn't kept down since 9:00 AM, and only the water that was absorbed immediately into his system. Just to illustrate how finicky this lad is...it has been 12 hours since he has had food that stayed down. The TNR went over 48 hours without my feeding her as she dislikes pouring rain and she is fine today.

He just passed over Solid Gold Purrfect Pairings Savory Mousse with Tuna and Goat Milk. Next, I tried Blue Wilderness Wild Delights Chicken & Turkey in Tasty Gravy...Declined! He did lick the gravy off and ate a portion of a tsp of Fancy Feast Tuna Feast in Gravy-Grilled. Go figure. Just saying, if he hasn't eaten in 12 hours and turns down these fine foods I am in trouble on a good day if I don't find a live turkey, pheasant, duck or lamb to stuff a pill into.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about doughs other than Pill Pockets? There are some with really strong flavors like bacon and fish:

Flavor Doh Fish flavored

Marshall Pill Paste bacon flavor
Vetoquinol Pill Wrap
Tomlyn Pill Masker bacon flavor

None of the ingredients are great but that's not a horrible thing if it's the only way you can get pills into the cat.

Can the medicines be compounded into another form? Pills can often be made into liquids or treats or skin gels. Ask your vet.
Thanks for responding LTS3. Yes, the Budesonide can be, but I changed the order to capsule after reading that the compounded liquid is not as effective in their intestines and also, the taste is absolutely horrible. I would have to burrito him for the liquid. The towel burrito struggles have reached a point where it is no longer effective, as he knows how to get his front paws out (even tried overlaying them, but this could cause injury imo if too tight) near the neck.

Once they are planted on something he can grasp, the rest is a Houdini feat. Toweling is just too stressful for the both of us. He is a total beast when trying to get out of it, and I either have to be more forceful or just let him go, as it becomes a wrestling match. If I can't get him toweled and pill in less than 2 minutes it is futile. Between toweling and bathing him (soiled his long fur and packed it from sitting), he has suffered enough trauma for the rest of the year (as have I).

My goal is to train him to overcome all of these hindrances once I get him past the this illness's control. As for the above maskers, I haven't tried any other than the pill pockets. Easy to do I suppose, if I discover he likes real bacon. I will add the rest to my list for Chewy this weekend. Thanks for the ideas and suggested maskers. "In da mornin, I'm having waffles!!! - Donkey, in Shrek

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you crush the pill? If yes, try baby food like turkey or chicken. Just make sure it's meat only.
They're capsules and can be opened and the powder manipulated. He has caught me before doing this and sniffed out the medicine tainted gravy, tasted it then walked away. Thank you Huxleysmom

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any way you can get an injectable form? Cats don't have much sensation in their scruff, so a quick poke may be less traumatizing that trying to force a pill into their mouths.

Something else you could try is to crush the tablets and mix into a small amount of butter. Then smear the butter/med mix onto your cat's paw so they're forced to lick it off. Just be careful that it's high enough on their leg (more like wrist joint than paw), so if they go into the litterbox, it doesn't get covered with litter. Also be careful about the cat flinging off the butter, so use the minimum amount of butter possible and smear well.
Hummm...That don't know Ardina. The Budesonide works its best when it gets into the intestines ( a trial run for IBS) so I read. I doubt it that it can be found as in injection, but I will look into it. Thinking about the paw buttering for a moment, I remember he hates his paws being touched or towelette wiped and will usually run the moment he realizes you're after them. Even if I succeeded in getting the paste on one, I suspect he would run fearing I am after his other paws, as I do often with cleansing wipes. Even still, there is the taste factor. I will test this first with just butter after he gets through this nausea phase, to see if he will let me apply it, then stay put and lick it off. Thanks Ardina :-)

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he's sniffing food and walking away yet seems hungry maybe he's feeling nauseous. Or has stomach acid making him feel bad
He sniffs everything. If I'm eating he stares me in the eye until I let him sniff my human food. Tonite he sniffed my cinnamon raisin swirl slice of bread, as well as my Activia Yogurt. Oh yes, he is definitely hungry since his last was from early AM. He sniffs and walks away from the best of meals whether he is well or having this illness (suspected to be IBS). I am sure whatever it is, it makes him nauseated, as he once threw up a tablespoon of water during an episode. He starts licking his lips just as we do sometimes before vomiting. My saliva glands start to salivate before the lunch comes up.

His first Vet did prescribe him Pepcid AC once, as I wondered if cats could get ulcers, and maybe this was causing his illness. I ground it to a power and masked it in his gravy food. Like a K9 dog on a bag of contraband...busted with one taste. If I find this ingenious pilling method I will put the antiacid through a trial run before the Budesonide. Thanks for reminding me of this possibility.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: He threw up his last meal at 9 AM. He has since consumed about 2 tbsp of Fancy Feast Turkey with Gravy a half hour ago and appears to be keeping it down now. As long as he keeps it down, I will increase it hourly. Hopefully, by morning he'll be back to eating kibble and taunting outdoor cats through the window.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm laughing reading your posts, k9 contraband! Lol lol
Yeah I suspect acid. Try checking Tanya's renal cats site it's primarily for renal kitties but she references a ton of solutions for acid, nausea, and hard to pill cats. Maybe you'll pick up a tie bit from that site as well. Nite!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The two things that have worked best at the shelter are liverwurst and chicken-flavored gel capsules (available from Amazon). It's rare for a cat not to go for one or the other "treat".

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Check with both your vet and a compounding pharmacy. Maybe what you read was wrong and compounding it is an acceptable alternative. And compounding pharmacies can flavor the liquid, the one I used had a dedicated flavor for animals (chicken pot pie).

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Check with both your vet and a compounding pharmacy. Maybe what you read was wrong and compounding it is an acceptable alternative. And compounding pharmacies can flavor the liquid, the one I used had a dedicated flavor for animals (chicken pot pie).
Thanks for the response Arouetta. I trust the logic of those who gave their opinions on another site where I read about the liquid form. It was a pharmacist that stated the liquid was less effective than the capsule. Even if this was feasible, I would still have to towel burrito him, which I absolutely refuse to put him through this twice a day for two months. There are always alternatives to everything. I just have to find the right one for my baby and I.

Attachments