Improving my relationship with my cat

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, Remi since he was a kitty and RiRi whom we adopted. She is between 3-5 is what we were told. We’ve had her for a little over 6 months. My relationship with Remi is easy, we’ve always had trust, he is never scared of me and I’ve never seen him hiss or do so much as swat at me. With RiRi, she was scared from the get go. It took about 2 months for her to get comfortable and even then she is still not at the place that Remi is and she may never be. Recently RiRi and I had another set back. Both of the times that she has scratched and bit me had been after brushing her. The first time I learned just not to interact with her after brushing her and I also brush her a lot less in general. However this time I did not have a choice of just leaving her alone because I mistakenly tried to brush her on our patio like I do with Remi and she bolted for the bushes. I tried to pick her up and she bit and scratched me. She turned into a different cat. She was very scared, eyes wide and hissing. My boyfriend was eventually able to get her back inside. I realize it was a big mistake to brush her outside, as she does not like being brushed in the first place. I also feel that since having RiRi I always try to push her out of her comfort zone which cats definitely don’t respond well too. I think deep down I do it because I wish for her to be more carefree. It makes me sad because I know it is unfair of me to wish to change her and that cats have different personalities. I think that whatever fear she has may be ingrained from her prior experiences. I am trying to figure out the best way to get her trust back. This episode with her just happened today and the one happened about two months ago. RiRi is very hot and cold. Watching her behavior over that past few months she is very cuddling when she wants to be. She always dictates when we interact and if she doesn’t want to interact she will just walk away from me. Sometimes I get a little bit saddened by the fact that I can’t just go up to her but what really gets to me is how watchful she is. I often feel her eyes on me when I am cooking, doing laundry, anything. I often watch TV in my bed and any movement I make just to change my position requires RiRi to wake up and become super alert. Often she jumps off the bed and out of the room, meanwhile Remi just stays asleep. I guess I feel like I always have to be super cautious with my movements but then this also annoys me because I don’t want to feel that I have to be walking on eggshells all the time. Eye contact is also an interesting thing with her. With Remi, I just look at him from across the room or just walk towards him, looking at him and pet him. But with RiRi if I look her in the eyes from across the room or something it’s almost like something goes off in her head like ‘oh no she see’s me’ and she often acts nervous. Whereas if I just walk past her and intentionally make sure not to look at her, she is fine. Just a lot of little things that tend to frustrate me. I think if I’m honest with myself I have a hard time forgiving her after the biting and scratching because I am just trying to do what’s best for her but of course she does not understand that. I feel it’s hard not to hold a grudge but I also know it’s not healthy but it’s so fresh it’s hard to battle my feelings. At the end of the day I love her and want her to feel comfortable. I know this will take lots of time but any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its tough, I know. You just want to love her.

I think you are right, prior experience has taught her she can't trust humans. In my opinion, it might be worth trying to let her come to you. Don't try to pet her or approach her directly. Avoid eye contact. You can sit on the same couch as her, but opposite end to where she is. If she decides to come sit near you, don't reach out to her. Just ignore her. This may help her feel less threatened and she will realise she has freedom of choice. If she does come up for cuddles, then give her all the attention she wants, but let her ask you, not you ask her.

You might also want to try luring her with treats. Something yummy and strong smelling like fish. A lot of cats won't eat out of your hand, so even just luring her to her feed dish where she can see you put the food down might help her associate you with good things.

Did you go through any sort of introductory process with the brush? She has probably never been groomed before, and will need to be exposed slowly. Maybe just one gentle stroke, and then a treat. Or even just sit the brush near her, so she can observe it.

All just suggestions, but might be worth a try. Best of luck, would love updates and photos!

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get a tooth brush and start with that if you want to groom her and just do her head then work up from that sounds weird but it will work baby steps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its tough, I know. You just want to love her.

I think you are right, prior experience has taught her she can't trust humans. In my opinion, it might be worth trying to let her come to you. Don't try to pet her or approach her directly. Avoid eye contact. You can sit on the same couch as her, but opposite end to where she is. If she decides to come sit near you, don't reach out to her. Just ignore her. This may help her feel less threatened and she will realise she has freedom of choice. If she does come up for cuddles, then give her all the attention she wants, but let her ask you, not you ask her.

You might also want to try luring her with treats. Something yummy and strong smelling like fish. A lot of cats won't eat out of your hand, so even just luring her to her feed dish where she can see you put the food down might help her associate you with good things.

Did you go through any sort of introductory process with the brush? She has probably never been groomed before, and will need to be exposed slowly. Maybe just one gentle stroke, and then a treat. Or even just sit the brush near her, so she can observe it.

All just suggestions, but might be worth a try. Best of luck, would love updates and photos!
Thanks for your reply :) I will let her come to me from now on and ignore her unless she requests my attention. I believe I have been trying to push progress too fast and I just have to accept her pace. That being said, I don't think my introductory process with the brush was good. I knew she would probably be scared of it so I just picked her up and started brushing her to try to get it done quickly instead I should have let her get familiar with it, she probably would have walked away but at least I wouldn't have put strain on our relationship. My other cat Remi is very food/treat motivated and RiRi, not so much. I may try different treats and do as you suggested, just put it in her bowl. I'm sure the progress will be slow but I'll keep you updated if anything changes. Thanks again!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never chase a startled cat. Most often they lose their rational mind to the fear. Instinct takes over. If you do manage to catch up to them, you’re most likely going to get hurt if you try to handle them before they calm down. That’s how you got bit and scratched. It was nothing personal. Chances are she doesn’t even remember doing it to you because of how stressed out she was.

Cats are both predator and prey animals. Keeping that in mind helps you understand their behavior. Many cats don’t enjoy being picked up. If it isn’t mama cat doing the lifting (and you’re not mama cat to her 😿), being picked up is often a prelude to being eaten. Instead of forcing a brushing routine on her, I would keep a basket with a brush, a nylon stocking, and treats somewhere you sit down and unwind. If she enjoys petting, petting her with your hand in a nylon stocking is nearly as effective as brushing. I would use the stocking first when she comes around to you to get her used to this grooming routine. You can pick the brush out of the basket and put it down in front of her. Let her see it and sniff it and know that the brush itself isn’t going to hurt her. You may also need to start with a toothbrush as previously suggested to get her used to brushing. Some cats never like brushing though. My Krista didn’t care for it. That’s how I learned about using a nylon stocking instead. If she lets you groom her with stocking (or eventually brush), give her a treat after a few strokes. Make it an enjoyable experience for her. She’ll come for the treats but stay for the grooming. Just make sure you treat her after the grooming. Don’t treat her without some effort on her part or you’ll just teach her that she can come to you for treats whenever she wants treats. That will be a horrible lesson to teach her. You will create a treat monster. 🐷😹

Don’t push RiRi. Let her grow to trust you. That trust will come from letting her set the pace. Something that will help develop trust is giving her spaces that are hers—cat trees, condos, or shelves, for example. When she is in her space, don’t chase after her or take her out of that space (unless she invites you into it like with a welcoming trill.) Her confidence will grow when she can traverse her space without fear of being handled or picked up. Or stepped on. Give her spaces off the ground. Hiding makes the cat’s world small. Perching and surveying makes the cat’s world large. Cats love the game “the floor is hot lava.” The floor is a vulnerable place for a prey animal. If she can get around her spaces off the ground, she will feel safer and develop more confidence. With confidence, comes trust and affection.

Also avoid eye contact for now. She watches you intently because she’s not yet trusting of you. In the wild, an animal that shows too much interest either wants to eat or mate. Or avoid both (as she is doing when she watches you.) You can sometimes wink or slow blink at her. But otherwise, just accept that she can stare and you shouldn’t.

You have the rest of her life to develop the kind of relationship you want with her. It’s a marathon. Not a sprint. Let her set the pace. Don’t crowd her. Don’t push her. Don’t chase her. She’ll come around when she can see that she can trust you.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may try different treats and do as you suggested, just put it in her bowl.
Don’t just put treats in her bowl. She won’t connect the gesture with the behavior you want from her. Use treats as rewards, not bribes. If you treat her after a grooming session, she’ll learn to associate the grooming with treats. She will put up with and maybe even enjoy grooming to get to the treats. If you place treats in her bowl for no reason, she may come to expect them for no reason. Possibly even holding out for them. 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never chase a startled cat. Most often they lose their rational mind to the fear. Instinct takes over. If you do manage to catch up to them, you’re most likely going to get hurt if you try to handle them before they calm down. That’s how you got bit and scratched. It was nothing personal. Chances are she doesn’t even remember doing it to you because of how stressed out she was.

Cats are both predator and prey animals. Keeping that in mind helps you understand their behavior. Many cats don’t enjoy being picked up. If it isn’t mama cat doing the lifting (and you’re not mama cat to her 😿), being picked up is often a prelude to being eaten. Instead of forcing a brushing routine on her, I would keep a basket with a brush, a nylon stocking, and treats somewhere you sit down and unwind. If she enjoys petting, petting her with your hand in a nylon stocking is nearly as effective as brushing. I would use the stocking first when she comes around to you to get her used to this grooming routine. You can pick the brush out of the basket and put it down in front of her. Let her see it and sniff it and know that the brush itself isn’t going to hurt her. You may also need to start with a toothbrush as previously suggested to get her used to brushing. Some cats never like brushing though. My Krista didn’t care for it. That’s how I learned about using a nylon stocking instead. If she lets you groom her with stocking (or eventually brush), give her a treat after a few strokes. Make it an enjoyable experience for her. She’ll come for the treats but stay for the grooming. Just make sure you treat her after the grooming. Don’t treat her without some effort on her part or you’ll just teach her that she can come to you for treats whenever she wants treats. That will be a horrible lesson to teach her. You will create a treat monster. 🐷😹

Don’t push RiRi. Let her grow to trust you. That trust will come from letting her set the pace. Something that will help develop trust is giving her spaces that are hers—cat trees, condos, or shelves, for example. When she is in her space, don’t chase after her or take her out of that space (unless she invites you into it like with a welcoming trill.) Her confidence will grow when she can traverse her space without fear of being handled or picked up. Or stepped on. Give her spaces off the ground. Hiding makes the cat’s world small. Perching and surveying makes the cat’s world large. Cats love the game “the floor is hot lava.” The floor is a vulnerable place for a prey animal. If she can get around her spaces off the ground, she will feel safer and develop more confidence. With confidence, comes trust and affection.

Also avoid eye contact for now. She watches you intently because she’s not yet trusting of you. In the wild, an animal that shows too much interest either wants to eat or mate. Or avoid both (as she is doing when she watches you.) You can sometimes wink or slow blink at her. But otherwise, just accept that she can stare and you shouldn’t.

You have the rest of her life to develop the kind of relationship you want with her. It’s a marathon. Not a sprint. Let her set the pace. Don’t crowd her. Don’t push her. Don’t chase her. She’ll come around when she can see that she can trust you.
Thank you. I have felt quite discouraged at times and I realize that its not always about her liking me but about giving her space and time so that she is comfortable. I have been trying to rush things because I feel uncomfortable with our progress but by doing this I have been making it worse. And like you said, we have plenty of time to work on our relationship, no reason to rush. The nylon idea is something I will have to try and keeping them handy on the couch is a good idea. I will continue to let her be and let her set the pace. Grooming will be on the back burner for now until she is trusting. And I have struggled to get her to like treats and it might have something to do with when and how I've been giving them. I saw your comment below about not putting them in the bowl because there is no connection. This makes sense, I think I'm willing to try anything at this point, but now thinking about it that would not be a good idea.. I often forget that she probably does not remember scratching or biting. Thinking about this makes it easier to move on and like you said she wasn't trying to hurt me or my feelings but was in survival mode. One question I have is about the trill you mentioned. Before this happened she would often be sitting on the cat tree, look at me and meow and remain sitting there. I have never been sure what that means, if that is an indication to come over. She is a very vocal cat, whenever I close a door and am by myself in a room she stands outside meowing. It seems that she always wants to be able to see me, even if its just from afar.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that she always wants to be able to see me, even if its just from afar.
That right there. She wants to be near you or keep you in sight. Even if she’s not yet ready for the mode of affection you are expecting of her. Meows are sounds cats make interacting with humans. They don’t meow at other cats or other animals. If she’s meowing at you, she wants to communicate with you. Then you’re left with the same puzzle every other cat owner knows. “What is my cat saying?” Sometimes it’s just “hi!” Stay over there, please. But yes I see you. 😻