Impossible Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hey, guys. i just found out cats get lots of different worms. i just got the bayer one for tapeworms.
is this not good enow?
must i buy another product?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Bayer make one just for tapeworm? Bayer makes Drontal, which is broad-spectrum. That's probably what you bought. I just wormed my dog and Misfit with fenbendazole over Labor Day weekend. That's the wormer I've used for years, but usually only wormed the dogs not the indoor kitties. Misfit will get wormed 2x/year as long as she's outdoors.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so, i screwed up again. this tuff is praziquantel.
atleast this stuff is labled for cats.

is she likely to have other worms.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sorry, i can't seem fix those typos.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so, i screwed up again. this tuff is praziquantel.
atleast this stuff is labled for cats.

is she likely to have other worms.
Since she's outdoors and hunting, she probably has roundworm (the most common worm in cats) and possibly hookworm and pinworm. Drontal is praziquantel + pyrantel pamoate, so praziquantel (Droncit) alone is used to target only tapeworm.

There goes Bayer again giving two different products similar names (Drontal and Droncit). :eviltongue:

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
amazon screwed me. when you search dontral, you get this stuff first.
lower on the page they do show dontral, but for $225.
when you type wormer at chewy, this stuff comes up first.
looks like dontral is hard to find.
well, i guess i'll give her this stuff for now.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oddly, i tried to edit immediately, but couldn't.
is tapeworm hopefully the most dangerous worm?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that worms in general tend to eat up nutrients, and severe infestation can cause diarrhea, so the cat could become malnourished and dehydrated. I've never heard of a cat dying from intestinal worms, but most people have house cats and aren't usually going to let their cat suffer chronic diarrhea or see tapeworms crawling out its butt without providing pretty quick treatment.

I think Drontal is supposed to be prescription only...but apparently you can legally buy bulk quantities (that $225 was for hundreds of pills, right?)...enough to worm a swarm of cats. Clinics around here sell one Drontal pill for $10.00, which is all you need. I buy fenbendazole (only labelled for dogs in the US, but safe for cats). Brand names Panacur, Safeguard, PetArmor.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also...generally all kittens have worms. Indoor house cats don't usually get infected after being wormed as a kitten, unless they get fleas. Our outdoor kitties should be wormed as often as every 3 months....I'm going with 6 months for Misfit.

I also need to look into Ivermectin or something to give Misfit to prevent heartworm. She often has a little cloud of mosquitos around her, particularly at sunset. :( (I know....one more thing to buy, right?)

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks, orange.
i can't keep spending money on this animal.there is no diarrhea, malnourishment or dehydration.
she presents as a cat at the peak of health.
at least, now she does, after 9 days of antibiotics.
she seemed cured after 4 days but i thot it prudent to finish the course of treatment.
today she gets the tapeworm stuff.
the flea treatment will be here in a few days.
that will finish her care.

she continues dashing into the house a few feet, then running out.
i guess she wants to come in but fears something.
i'll bring her in for the winter if i can pick her up..
i tried to outsmart her. as she laid next to me, i held her n tried to roll onto my back, which would put her on top of me.
she struggled so bad i let her go.
no claws or hisses tho.
no hard feelings either. she came right back.
it looks like i'll never be able to pick her up more than a couple inches, like ido to drag her next to me.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing a lot more for her than most feral cats get. You're her reward for her acting "like a lady" and letting you care for her.

I'd look into the fenbendazole, maybe a little later if your feeling like she's becoming a financial strain. As long as she's outside, it would be good to worm her 2-4 times a year. I bought the 4 gram Safeguard for 40 pound dogs, and measured out the powder. A little over 1/4 tsp is 1 gram. So it was pretty easy to divide the more economical package for larger animals according to the pet's weight (1 gram for 10 pounds of body weight x 3 days, mixed into food).

I let Misfit walk in today to see what she'd do. (Really shouldn't do that until she's immunized and has flea treatment, but I put my other pets in back rooms while I let her "do her thing".) She didn't' get more than 3 feet inside before she got spooked and went back out. Of course, then she wanted to try it again immediately since nothing bad happened. :lol:

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so you guys say cats don't like being picked up due to loss of control.
when i read, i'm on my side with my left arm supporting me n my
left forearm stretched out holding the book.if drifter feels loving she snuggles up,
head n paws on my arm, her body pressed against mine.
my right arm goes around her n encircles her.she is engulfed by me.
she could never get away if i didn't want her to.of course, i never prevent her from leaving, so it's fine.but there seems to be something more about getting picked up that bothers her.
oh! i just read about REVOLUTION .
it is supposed to kill both fleas n worms. that sounds so good i gotta wonder why everyone isn't using it?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
REVOLUTION .
it is supposed to kill both fleas n worms. that sounds so good i gotta wonder why everyone isn't using it?
susieqz susieqz - It also kills feline heartworms, as well as lungworms. It's basically hog wormer (ivermectin, though here, selamectin, sold under an Australian patent), and one of the great antiparisitics of all time. It's also incredibly safe, and has been studied at ten times the recommended dosage with absolutely no ill effects:

Safety of selamectin in cats. - PubMed - NCBI

It requires a prescription, and it's expensive.

I've used it since it came on the market; my cats' health is flawless, and I believe this is a big part of the reason.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i found it online. it's only $5 but another $6 for shipping.
but, i'm tired of spending money.
even if i wanted to spay her, i wouldn't spend the money.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ivermectin is structurally similar, but a different product, to Selectamin. I buy injectable Ivermectin at the feed supply store without a prescription for my dog's oral heart worm prevention. It's really inexpensive. Next up on my research to-do list is to find the right oral dose or Misfit. I'm really worried about the mosquitos around her.

I think you need a prescription for Selectamin.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is strange that Drifter lets you cradle her, but not lift her. I pick Misfit up regularly now, but she's not about to snuggle any time, any where, in any position! :p