Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Imo - The Worst Thing About This Site...

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by FeebysOwner, Dec 16, 2018.

1. FeebysOwner

FeebysOwner Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    NEVERMIND - FORGET IT - JUST VENTING. I'LL GET OVER IT. I love this site, and they have been very, very helpful to me. But, the worst thing that I have found about this site is those who want to read a post or two, and not go down the entire path of posts - in order to get the whole story. If you don't have the whole story, you are offering advice that is not based on the whole story. If you don't want to take the time to read all the details, that so many desperate owners provide, then just tell them you are supporting them and wish them the best - to give them encouragement. But, when you offer advise that doesn't coincide with what they are telling you - you are telling them not to trust the advice.

I try VERY hard not to give any suggestions/advice/tips without first reading the ENTIRE thread. I am sure I have made mistakes. But, if you are not willing to read it all, just give the poster support - without advice - and move on.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Jem, ans5181, Kflowers and 2 others purraised this.

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Hi!
    You're making a good point.

Kflowers, FeebysOwner and catsknowme purraised this.

3. AbbysMom

AbbysMom At Abby's beck and call Staff Member Moderator

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    No arguments from me, but it's not just this site. Are you on Facebook? That is the worst. People will just read a title and not click on the link and actually read the article and will make a super inflammatory comment.

It's been happening on this site since I joined many, many moons ago, but it's just getting worse everywhere. People are too rushed/lazy to actually read.

There are members that don't agree with our policy of closing a thread after a cat dies. We have had way too many cases when we didn't close them of someone posting in the thread without reading that the cat had died, suggesting things that could be done and in some cases that the member wasn't doing enough or the right thing. Can you imagine having lost your cat and then getting a message like that? In some cases people were posting a year later. I know how I felt when I lost my cat and if someone a year later told me that I wasn't doing enough I think I would have lost my mind.

ans5181, margd, mani and 8 others purraised this.

4. jcat

jcat Mo(w)gli's can opener Staff Member Moderator

Feb 13, 2003
    Mo(w)gli Monster's Lair
    That's a good reminder, but how many people will heed it?

People not reading all the posts in a thread have always been a problem, but I believe it's gotten worse now that so many are using smartphones to visit the site and just skimming content.

ans5181, FeebysOwner and catsknowme purraised this.

5. catsknowme

catsknowme TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 2, 2005
    Eastern California,USA
    For me, the frustration is getting responses to threads that for some reason do not get much response. I am really grateful for the Unanswered Threads section which has helped immensely with that problem. After "meeting" under-served members privately, I have seen how much have your cat/s' crisis/es largely ignored can be very painful and even feel like rejection. I do my best to reassure people that most often it is a matter of timing & truly nothing personal.

ans5181, Furballsmom, muffy and 2 others purraised this.

6. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I don't disagree especially in cases where there are few enough posts in the thread that it is easy to read them all.

BUT, many threads have so many posts, hundreds, that it really isn't reasonable to expect someone to read them all before posting.

I don't think it is a matter of people not wanting to be sure their contribution is something that hasn't already been discussed, it's just that they see a thread and think they have information that might be useful and want to post but just don't have time to read all the already existing posts. There are a lot of posts in a lot of threads spread out over a lot of forum topics. That's a lot to read. Plus, for most people this probably isn't the only site they read and post to.

I think the problem isn't really a solvable one. I think the better approach is to just accept that it is gong to happen and deal with it. I try to just ignore posts that don't really contribute to the thread whether they are repeats of already discussed issues or are off topic.

Another approach could be a gently worded admonishment to the poster that they need to read the entire thread. That wouldn't help with the threads that grow to hundreds of posts though. Few people will actually read them all before posting.

Where is the "Unanswered Threads" section???

FeebysOwner and catsknowme purraised this.

7. AbbysMom

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Hover your mouse over the arrow to the right of "Forums" in the top menu bar -

up.jpg

8. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Ah! Nicely hidden!

Just kidding. I'm a software programmer and it used to be a cardinal rule of gui design to not hide action buttons. Even menu items had always visible buttons that replicate the menu actions. With todays mobile platforms and the restrictions made necessary by the tiny screens of mobile devices, that just isn't possible anymore. Now we have to memorize how to find access to actions for every app/web site we visit.

Oh well, it's an imperfect world. ( That's my favorite, calming, mantra btw. Funny, I never needed a calming mantra before Nov 2016. I wonder what's changed? )

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    FeebysOwner, doomsdave and catsknowme purraised this.

9. catsknowme

catsknowme TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 2, 2005
    Eastern California,USA
    @AbbysMom: thank you for pointing that out! I couldn't find that button on my laptop so I have been using my cellphone to visit TCS instead. My cellphone's format shows a drop-down menu on the left corner where I can easily find it :)

@mschauer: thank you for explaining why I have to use my cellphone to find the unanswered threads (I couldn't find the button on my laptop)! Being a programmer takes many skills, especially considering some of us users grew up in the era of rotary dial phones and record players :dunce:

Furballsmom, DreamerRose and FeebysOwner purraised this.

10. Kflowers

Kflowers TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 28, 2018
    Okay, I have a terrible time finding the articles I want - like introducing an adult cat to another adult cat - so it's probably me. But when I go to the Home page, or the Forum page I don't get that header set AbbysMom copied. What page is that?

catsknowme purraised this.

11. FeebysOwner

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    Me either, but that is because I primarily use a computer rather than the tiny cell phone screen.

catsknowme, DreamerRose and Kflowers purraised this.

12. FeebysOwner

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    Of all the incomplete reviews of a post before responding - this is the worst thing I have seen on this site.

I am not suggesting to stop locking these threads, but what about adding to the title "Passed Away" or something like that? Is that too inconsiderate for the owner? I am just thinking about other social media sites where the title can be updated, such as animal lost and found sites, where they add a notation of the new status of a found or lost cat/dog. Even my Next Door Neighbor site does this.

13. PushPurrCatPaws

PushPurrCatPaws TCS Member Top Cat

May 22, 2015
    Good thing this is in the IMO forum.

I would never begrudge anyone trying to contribute some helpful info to a thread, whether or not they had the time during the day to read all the posts or whether they just do not have the space in their brain case for the day in question, whenever they visited the thread.

Everyone is probably guilty of not reading threads in their entirety at some point in time. My own eyes go crossed-eyed and even glaze over and my fingers act quicker than my brain's self-checker function when I read any threads, for example, about declawing cats. I probably don't want to read everyone else's posts sometimes in threads like that but just want to post my own thoughts, and pronto. I can certainly forgive people if they happen to repeat any info already given in a Health thread by someone else, or if they were unable to pick up the OP's basic intentions for a thread, or they missed a detail or two -- especially (as is common with Health threads) if the OP had a very long initial post, with few paragraph breaks and lots of details mixed in with their understandable emotions.

Some people are complaining here about not everyone reading all the posts or information before they comment, and yet others say the solution is to ignore the posts they don't feel like reading or that they think are off-topic.

There were plenty of off-topic posts in Anne's thread here (which tries to explain the "Unanswered thread" menu location a long time ago), yet lots of interesting info and viewpoints mixed in -- even if they were off-topic.
    Important - Help Us Help The Cats!
    You can read the whole thread or not, but for a lot of people who start a thread, some of the main content or direction or intention for their thread is in that main post -- at least for the first day it is posted, before people jump in and contribute.

I agree that it is best practice to try reading all of the thread... but if it is a long or complicated one, that takes time which is a hard thing to come by at different points in people's lives. And even if you do have something that can help a person out, a perspective or experience they can learn from or dismiss, I think it is also best practice to try to help.

ans5181, micknsnicks2mom and catsknowme purraised this.

14. maggie101

maggie101 3 cats Top Cat

Apr 20, 2014
    Houston,TX
    I try to skip posts with a long explanation because I have trouble remembering the paragraph before. No matter how short. One of my learning deficits I have always had. I'm sure I'm not the only one

15. AbbysMom

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    We do have Team members that routinely look for unanswered threads. Unfortunately at times the problem with the cat is so unique that we have no answer. Often someone will post just to offer support. If you have seen a thread that has gone unanswered for a significant amount of time, please feel free to report it.

Oh I'm married to one of your kind. I'm used to hearing "What the :censored: kind of interface is this??" on a regular basis. :wink:

You and me both. :biggrin: What works best for me is to go into the articles section and then click search on the menu bar and as an example put in "introductions" as the search term and then click search titles only. This is from a desktop though. Right now the articles section is set up as user-friendly as it can be with the current platform we use. It's possible that there is a platform upgrade down the road that will provide improvements, but we just don't know that.

What are you using to access the site?

That screen shot was taken from a computer, so you should be seeing it.

Hover your mouse over "Forums" at the top. It will highlight as shown below and the upside down triangle will appear. Hover your mouse over the triangle and the other menu will pop up.

I do think that seeing that in the title would be a bit inconsiderate to the owner. We do review our policies on things like this periodically and do change them at times if we feel there is a better way to handle things. Right now, this is what is working best for us. :)

If at any time any of you have any suggestions or feedback about the site, please do send @Anne message. She does appreciate it and takes it seriously. :)

catsknowme and Furballsmom purraised this.

16. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    It shows on a computer, too. When you hover over the Forums header, instead of clicking it or New Posts, which I generally do, look to the right and Unanswered Posts will appear. It took me some time to find it.

catsknowme, FeebysOwner and AbbysMom purraised this.

17. Kflowers

Jul 28, 2018
    I'm using a desktop computer, the vet got the IPhone money.

Tried it @DreamerRose didn't get the page Abbysmom showed, just got the usual Home, forums search and no unanswered threads to click on. Maybe I don't know what you mean by hover over, I'm holding the curser which has changed to the small hand over the word forums on the bar with the little three globes on the far right. Nothing comes up. I click on it and go straight to forums, which is nice, but no unanswered threads.

18. PushPurrCatPaws

PushPurrCatPaws TCS Member Top Cat

May 22, 2015
    Yes, I have had no problem finding it (but I knew where it was) -- one note: you have to be a logged in member in order to see the Unanswered Threads menu choice. If you are not logged in, it doesn't show up.

19. FeebysOwner

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    ???Not sure what point you were making???:confused:

I am really not talking about members offering duplicated advice. That is understandable, and sometimes that advice is offering another perspective of the basic same information.

I am talking about the ones who didn't read enough to know details and their response clearly shows that they didn't read enough to truly know the issue(s). For a simple example, one poster suggested the OP get a second cat, when the OP clearly stated in a previous post that they had 3 cats. Or another - a poster advised the OP to try a couple of different meds that the OP had already stated they had tried without success. These are relatively 'harmless' examples, but I have seen what I think are more 'offending' responses to an OP - who is generally on this site because they feel they have a serious issue which they desperately need help with.

I don't want people to think I am trying to be mean. I was frustrated after having come across multiple post responses earlier in the day that to me were insensitive to the OPs, and I expressed my frustration in this IMO section. I then decided to edit my post to clearly express that.

catsknowme, PushPurrCatPaws and Kflowers purraised this.

20. Kflowers

Jul 28, 2018
    I am logged in - small whine.
    But I've now got Social Forums and IMO which I didn't have before. I put Unanswered threads in the search and was told there aren't any.

@PushPurrCatPaws you led me to it. found it on the menu rather than the top of the page. This will do, thank you.

catsknowme and Furballsmom purraised this.