Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA) in Cats...

Autolite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A friend of mine is dealing with recently diagnosed IMHA in their cat. They would like advice and suggestions from other cat owners who might have had to deal with this condition also. I am hoping that the forum members here can help with any questions that they might have on dealing with this issue. Is it a good idea to feed the cat iron rich foods in order to help build the Red Blood Cell count? Any help that you might have to offer would be most sincerely appreciated. Many thanks...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have leukemia and can get severely anemic. If the cat is older, that is good, they may be able to hold off until the bone marrow makes more RBCs in 30 days or so. The best thing I have found for my cats is DMG which builds up their immune system and keeps them as healthy as I can. Every time they have an episode of anemia (Which hasn't been for 3 years now) they start to get very lethargic, hide and refuse to eat. I keep Delectable Lickables around in the stew flavors and convince them into taking a few licks a day to keep them alive. I also give their meds in it. i'll keep your friend's cat in my thoughts and prayers......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Autolite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sincerely thank you for the help and replies! It is most appreciated. My friend has recently gotten a second opinion from another vet. Apparently the issue usn't IMHA at all. More testing and further diagnosis is now needed....

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine is dealing with recently diagnosed IMHA in their cat. They would like advice and suggestions from other cat owners who might have had to deal with this condition also. I am hoping that the forum members here can help with any questions that they might have on dealing with this issue. Is it a good idea to feed the cat iron rich foods in order to help build the Red Blood Cell count? Any help that you might have to offer would be most sincerely appreciated. Many thanks...
I'm glad to hear it's not IMHA! My cat Sadie was diagnosed with it at age 2, and it was very much a roller coaster ride with her for a while. It was secondary, and tied to IBD. She still has it and will be on low dose prednisolone for life, but recovery is possible.
Regardless if it's IMHA or not, any anemia related condition in cats can benefit from iron rich foods (Sadie loved raw food with liver!) as well as B12 supplements.
Hopefully they find it's a treatable condition - keeping kitty in my prayers! ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Autolite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Diagnosis is still ongoing. Thankful for the concern...