Purraise
Anyone know what the correct dose for Immodium for
cats is? I have snorkel cat running his little butt off, and
I need to get that stopped, while I get real meds for him
eg Albon for Coccidia or Panacur Rx.

Sadly can't afford the vet right now, what with my 800 dollars
for Frodo's incident and my Old Diablo's CRF. So any
help greatly appreciated!

Thanks anyone who can advise on the dirreah fighting strategies!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless a vet has prescribed Immodium for your cat then do NOT give your cat human meds.

For runny stool, some folks recommend giving the cat some plain canned pumpkin mixed in with their food to help firm up the stool until you can get to a vet.

I really don't mean to sound harsh, but if you cannot afford the vet costs for all of your animals then you need to cut back to the number of animals you can afford. To risk an animal's life by giving it any medication not prescribed by a qualified vet and not an animal medication to begin with, is irresponsible IMO.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand how it is when you rescue. Money is always tight and you just do what you can. Rescuing and managing ferals is a challenge.

I use a book recommended by a nurse practioner who is involved in rescue, foster care, rehabilitation and adoption. Also a member of a local adoption organization. She helps me as she works with many ferals. The book is :

'The Feline Patient' by Norsworthy, Crystal, Fooshee, and Tilley. Got it on half.ebay.com for pennies.

I quote from this book "loperamide at 0.08-0.16 mg/kg PO BID".

loperamide is IMODIUM
start on the low end of dose
convert kg to pounds for dose amount
PO means "by mouth"
BID means "two times a day"

I use this book with my ferals that I cannot get help by definition of a feral or if I have an emergency situation and talk to a vet. I do not recommend pet owners treat pets without consulting a vet, but I use only with ferals/rescue that have no other choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Skimble. Thanks for the info on the book. W all my ferals, I often have
to "shift" to get them treated, as they aren't the kind you just pick up pop in a carrier and take to vet, and even the semi ferals at home (the vet visits me), are hard to treat. I have to sedate prior to vet visits!!

Vets often don't treat, or won't unless they see the cat. (Which if you
just want a fecal float done is IMHO ridiculous. In the past the vets would do a fecal and prescribe on the results without having to see the cat. Now they get to charge you extra cause you bring them TO the vet. Kaching, another 50 to 100 dollars tacked on to bill. And of course, with ferals or semi ferals that's pretty darn hard to do - take to the vet I mean.

as with anything, I dont' just pop drugs into the cats - more than most I know about cats unique responses to pain meds & drugs. They are very delicate and sensitive and harder to treat because of that. I also understand about infection (Dad is a pathologist, and cats are mammals too... the dignosising principles hold across species surprisingly so.) and what to treat for. and when of course.

I always try the low end first before consulting vet. Snorkel had no dirreah after I switched his foods, and so perhaps it was just allergy to the new foods I had given him.

His stool is quite solid now, and no immodium needed.

I know from long experience you can have HUGE vet bills - and no results or the same results from trying simple stuff first. 2000 on one cat, and they never did figure out what that cat had, but she got better. We tested all sorts of stuff, nada. If I'd just left her alone, and changed out diet and waited, she'd have gotten better on her own. I'd have saved a wad too.

I will definitely get a copy of the book.

And yes, my ferals are all very well cared for, even the one that is
missing his hind paw (it got cut off something horrid happen, he
lost his tail too... now its a bob tail. He disappeared for a long time
and reappeared in this terrible state. Now we need to trap to get to vet,
but we've been giving him Clavamox for his paw in his food only- as it was raw and oozing. It seems to have healed well, dispite having just one long
bone left and no real paw
He will get a vet visit once we get
to the point where he can be trapped. He was terribly skittish
at first, and the other kitties were picking on him. After 2 weeks of feeding and anti bios he seems much better now though, and the others are more accepting of him. On to the trapping!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Immdium NOW contains ASPIRIN... Please do not give it without consulting a vet with a vet PDR handy

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Always best to read ingredient list especially when using OTC meds for off label use. I did not see salicylates listed on the 'IMODIUM' brand site. Have to be cautious because companies change things often.

Pepto Bismol I know is not good to use as they have a warning label. Must be required because children can't take asprin with the risk of Reye's Syndrome.

I have no vet that will see a feral in my area. Have to take them an hour away. With ferals and semi ferals, you do the best you can to keep them safe and healthy. You are doing an awesome job with yours. The antibiotics probably saved the injured cats life. Good luck with trapping.

Your dad must be a great resource. My DH is a neurologist and practiced family medicine. Not same as a vet by any means, but a great resource in evaluating.

You might also enjoy a 'Merck Veterinary Manual'. Can get an older one for very little. Half.ebay.com had some for $1.10. Abebooks.com also has great deals. I wish you the best in all your efforts.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Skimble, thanks for the kind words. I try very hard not to over load myself with cats. Right now, with 4 and one in CRF and the visitor in the basement we are *trying so hard* to find a good home for,
I'm at my limit.

Snorkel is a dear cat, and I really AM trying to get him a home - where he'll be indoor only and well cared for. For now, he is back inside, off the mean streets where he belongs. He may have other health issues, but the vet really couldn't tell me much... so we just observe and go along. At least he's not out there infecting others with FIV and fighting to get scraps for a living... and possibly dying a bad death from lack of care or FIV opportunistic infection.

Our plan is to post on petfinders, at PetSmart, and with other rescues,
online. He is such a great and playful loving boy.
Nicest of all my
cats excepting the 18 year old. Clearly he was raised with love by someone, but they never took care of him (fixed him) or vetted him. Probably because in our area, it costs about 360 to neuter a cat, and people just don't do it, cause of cost.

One day I'm going to start a low cost spay/neuter clinic - when I finally pay my house off, I'm going to borrow against equity, buy a mobile vet trailer outright, hire a vet, find some likeminded souls, and just go DO IT.

I get so fed up with our local SPCA, Humane Society and County Shelters. They just don't put their money where their mouth is. Its all about politics and self aggrandizement for the "organization".

For 80 to 100K, they could buy a drive around vet bus and go do high volume low cost spay and netuer and rabies and distemper for cats and dogs in "hot spot" areas where there is over population or low incomes.... But do they? NOOOO.

They claim people that don't need the service would use. My reply: Better for the ANIMALS - who cares about if the people are going for "low cost"??? AT least you stop the overpopulation issues...

Whoops, ranting. Sorry about that. Dad's a great resource - saved me alot with some of my cats. Also I am a research librarian, LOL. I have Merck's current manual at work! And yes, that's how I come to know so much too. Look up is my mantra.
(Oh, and I don't give rabies vacs that's something the vet has to give, we do that at the clinics - but I do give em other vaccines if needed/required.)

I check all drugs before giving to cats - asprin is contra indicated you can dose one baby aspirin with 3 days between doses no more for a cat, so you have to be really really careful for that. My vet said in the past that's how they treated for arthritis, it was the only thing the cats could take for the pain. They have more treatments now, luckily.

Immodium *was* safe, and my vet said I could use - but carefully. And not for more than a day or so. But since we changed out the food, he's much better so I do suspicion he has food allergies to fish (it was the salmon flavors he had issues with).

As far as my wee feral colony goes, they are doing very well IMHO.
No real breeding anymore. Stopped it by fixing 14 of them.

Had only 1 litter this summer, and we are trapping those kits to fix.
They do have shelters I made, and they get fed by me every single
blessed day - I never miss once.

My dream is to get one of those nice luxury dog kennels with runs with attached house/shed and be able to bring some to my boyfriends farm, where they wouldlive wonderful lives, and be safe from traffic and parking lots and the like.

One day, if I dream hard enough, and plan I might make it happen.

Course I worry about winding up over burdened but that's what my
boyfriend and family are for, to make sure I don't.

Off now to feed ze ferals and play with snorkel in the basement. the CRF kitty Diablo has had his walkies (I walk him every single day, so he can
do his poop outside and sniff the grass and spray and so on...figure it
gives him a good quality of life, without the danger of wandering away.)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I'm just confused why you asked our membership about the Immodium in the first place if you already know all these things and have your dad and your books to confirm. You said your vet already said you could use Immodium so I'm not sure why you were asking.

I certainly understand people who have worked for years with ferals and rescues having more information than the average pet owner per se. Our very own Hissy probably knows as much and sometimes more I'm sure than some of the vets but she's been doing it for many, many years.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OP did not have the vet book with the doseage amounts in it. I did and relayed info along with book title. Vet wanted cat brought in and do not do phone consults on many problems. The father being a pathologist, like my DH being a neurologist does not mean they know cat doseages, only that they are a great resource in medical knowledge which in some areas is common whether it be animal or human. Whew, I'm confusing myself.

Anyway help was relayed until she could get cat to vet or get a conversation with vet. Diarrhea will dehydrate.

Opilot, my daughter has several close friends in the DC area. They are all post college age and decent people. Some single, some newly married. I will send out emails to them and see if someone may have a place in their home and heart for Snorkel. I will explain the situation to them and PM you if I get any bites.

Good luck in all you do. I'm trapping young kitties tonight myself. Got 2 last week and 7 left. Glad the poop issue is better.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Skimble, well put! I am THRILLED by possible news of help for Snorkel.

I'd be willing to help with his medical if needed (he is current on rabies
and neutered so far, but will be seen by the vet Oct 23 for dewormer, nail
clip and a blood draw for basic health check eg CBC), and I would sponsor him, in order that he find a good indoor only home with folks that would
play with him, keep him company and love him for the length of his life.

He is a very nice cat, except to *other* cats.

He likes his people just fine!!

felinefrenzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is in response to: "Unless a vet has prescribed Immodium for your cat then do [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]NOT[/color]  give your cat human meds.

For runny stool, some folks recommend giving the cat some plain canned pumpkin mixed in with their food to help firm up the stool until you can get to a vet.

I really don't mean to sound harsh, but if you cannot afford the vet costs for all of your animals then you need to cut back to the number of animals you can afford. To risk an animal's life by giving it any [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]medication[/color]  not prescribed by a qualified vet and not an animal medication to begin with, is irresponsible IMO."

And I don't mean to be harsh but this is an ignorant response. First of all, veterinarians are human beings just like anyone else and they learn what they know by reading information and through trial and error. They do not have any "magical" information that a non-veterinarian can't find out all the same by doing research. Very often, vets just aren't knowledgeable in alternative treatments until it is brought to their attention by a pet owner who had done a LOT of research and seen positive results. People who do rescue tend to know more than veterinarians in some areas because they are home with the animals to SEE if the treatment works or not. They also learn ways to treat animals cheaper and more effectively....because they are not working for profit like a veterinarian.  Not all veterinarians are good ones. They kill many thousands of pets every year simply through malpractice. I can't even begin to tell you how many incompetent veterinarians I have met over the years. People who just take the word of a veterinarian without doing their own research are risking their pet's lives. 

It isn't hard to find out whether or not you can give a cat loperamide without asking a veterinarian if it okay. You can even buy a veterinary PDR if you want one. You can get online and read veterinary publications and find out what medications you can or can NOT give a cat.  You can read the same information a vet would read about giving loperamide/Immodium. I tend to get the opinions of other rescuers and tend to trust that more than a vet because vets make so many mistakes and also because vets lose money if you buy loperamide from a drug store so some of them do not want to suggest it for that reason. It doesn't mean it is less safe than the dangerous meds they prescribe our pets, it just means he doesn't sell it. 

And to tell a rescuer they should have less animals if they can't afford to take them to the vet for every single bout of diarrhea is scream worthy. People who do rescue are usually giving a cat a chance to live when otherwise it would have DIED. Being in a safe home and getting loperamide is a lot better than certain DEATH don't you think?

Sorry but I just get so sick of seeing these ignorant comments from people who clearly do not know anything about rescuing hundreds of pets from death. You give them a chance, do the best you can do for them and hope for the best because you know the alternative of DEATH in the woods or in a shelter is much worse than you doing whatever you can to TRY to help them a chance at life.

felinefrenzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I'm just confused why you asked our membership about the Immodium in the first place if you already know all these things and have your dad and your books to confirm. You said your vet already said you could use Immodium so I'm not sure why you were asking.

I certainly understand people who have worked for years with ferals and rescues having more information than the average pet owner per se. Our very own Hissy probably knows as much and sometimes more I'm sure than some of the vets but she's been doing it for many, many years.
She only asked about the DOSAGE. Most folks have to get online or break out a book (including vets) to find out the proper dosage and sometimes it is easier to ask people with a lot of EXPERIENCE instead of flipping through 5 inch thick books. Also, rescuers may know even better than the book through trial and error. It is also difficult for some to convert the mg per pound into a liquid dosage. There are plenty of reasons why one can know they CAN give loperamide but may need to ask the opinion of others on the correct dosage. 

josche

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feline Frenzy 's response quite honestly brought me great pleasure- not simply because of the fact that they were defending someone who was trying to care for and save the cat, but because of how the response was put. It was not in any way insulting, and was to the point and well thought out. I joined only to send my appreciation to them, outdated or not. 

faith rocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Immdium NOW contains ASPIRIN... Please do not give it without consulting a vet with a vet PDR handy
Where did you get the info that there is aspirin in Imodium? Imodium is pure loperamide.... It is offer prescribed by vet's to decrease diarrhea which can dehydrate and kill kittens... We have used it successfully... And for the person who scolded this person for having too many animals... You have no idea what it is like to try and rescue unwanted kittens... Most of do this on our own dime and end up spending thousands of dollars... We have to learn to become knowledgeable and how to test these animals on our own at times... My husband and I have homes over 500 kittens in the last 20 years, and yes there were times I had to do my own doctoring to save lives.... So if she doesn't have any money she should just let them due without trying?? That is being hyperjudgmenta

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @Faith rocks and welcome to TCS!

This is an old thread and I doubt the members who posted will see your response. Also, here at TCS we do recommend people seek the advice of a vet when there are health issues, but I do understand the frustrations associated with caring for strays and ferals.

It sounds like you are a wonderful friend of cats.  Perhaps you would like to come and introduce yourself in our New Cats on the Block forum?

rainfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMODIUM DOES NOT CONTAIN ASPIRIN.

"Imodium contains the active ingredient loperamide hydrochloride, which is an antimotility medicine that works by slowing down the muscular contractions of the intestine. 

Loperamide reduces the speed at which the gut contents are pushed through the intestines, allowing more time for water and electrolytes to be reabsorbed back into the body. This results in firmer stools that are passed less frequently."    Source: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/infections/a6901/imodium-loperamide/

With a small mammal like a cat, use a very small dosage (a tiny fraction of what a human would take) crushed into food only once at first.  Do not repeat until stool consistency is observed within 24 hours. Use cautiously, especially if there is an underlying bacterial infection of the gut or a parasite -- that should be checked out first by a vet because your pet may need antibiotics and you don't want the offending bacteria to linger too long in the intestines by slowing down the motility of the digestive tract. Often diarrhea is the body's way of expelling toxic things or harmful pathogens that are ingested . 

Imodium would be best to use if the diarrhea is simply indigestion related and does not abate after twenty-four hours. I that case, change type or brand of food first before using Imodium. 

A safer alternative is to use an eighth of a teaspoon of powered "food grade" clay. Humans have used that for many generations for digestive issues. The original formula for Kaopectate was Kaolin clay -- now it is more like Pepto-Bismol which does contain asperin . Don't give Pepto or the new Kaopectate to your cat.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to the forums @Rainfish  

Like you said, the key here is to consult with the vet first. Also, dosage can be critical with any medication so it really is best for owners to talk to their vet. We work hard on educating cat owners on keeping their cats safe. One very important rule is to never ever medicate a cat without consulting with a qualified veterinarian. Not even with OTC drugs. 

Here's an article about the topic -

[article="0"]Otc Medications Safe For Cats​[/article]  (For those of you who are too lazy to click through 
, the answer is "certainly not"!)

Also reminding everyone that we do not allow our members to suggest medical treatments or provide dosagest. As always, there's more to read about that too 

[thread="181417"]About Providing Medical Advice On This Board​[/thread]  

The above thread explains what is and what isn't allowed when posting about medical treatments (including alternative ones).

Thanks for helping us promote better care of cats!