I'm worried this rescue has mange

scaly62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not a house cat owner, however the roommate that needed to move here came with a cat in pretty bad shape. The condition was described to me as "This cat gets so stressed out she pulls her hair out".....but she has these pimples along with being halfway bald. I'm very concerned that she might have mange because of the pimples there, I don't want my dogs to catch it. I will pay for any treatment if it comes down to it, I really have gotten attached to "big red" but it's not my cat.....I'm posting this here to see if I need to intervene.

Attachments

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some skin problems can look alike a lot, especially in pictures. The cat needs to see a vet for an in-person exam. Even if it's not something contagious it might be something that won't go away without treatment. It might also be something about stress or an allergic reaction indeed but a vet visit is needed.

The only time I saw a cat with mange in person the cat's condition was really bad. He had lost hair all over and there were spots all over but I don't think things get bad at that level overnight. Then again, from all the pictures I have seen my impression is head gets affected as one of the first spots. And mange is rare in cats, especially compare to dogs.

If you can't get your roommate take him to the vet, try to take clear pictures and videos of the condition and show them to your dog's vet maybe.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That needs a vet. Now, alopecia can cause the skin to look very like that. Many allergies can cause reactions very like that. It isn't necessarily mange, but you want a proper diagnosis. It will almost certainly be treatable, though.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are kind to be concerned and definitely need a vet. My dog was a rescue who had mange, but he never looked the same as the cat in the picture. I don't want to say "as bad" because I am not making a value judgment or diagnosis, and it might not be mange but something that is from an entirely different origin.....but needs a vet.