I'm worried my cat isn't giving birth on purpose. HELP!!!

Lizzy20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm pretty sure my cat has been in labour for over a week now, she looks like shes ready to blow, her nipples have been leaking milk for over a week now, i feel like she may be having trouble or just doesn't want to do it. She has poo stuck to her bum because she cant clean herself as she cant reach it, i tried to help clean it but she wont let me. she also hasn't picked anywhere to give birth, I had another cat that gave birth a little over a week ago and i think they were picking the same box to give birth in and it was just a matter of who went first went first. I've tried giving her 3 other boxes but she just doesn't want them. PLease help

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lizzy20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know the exact date but it was about a week or week and a half after my other cat, if not it was the same day which is even worse...
My other cat (socks) gave birth on the 6th of November.

Lizzy20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know the exact date but it was about a week or week and a half after my other cat, if not it was the same day which is even worse...
[/QUOTE
64 Days for socks was around the start of September

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, so we might expect that her due date would around November 13-16. Personally, I don’t think that you need to worry yet, as long as she doesn’t seem to be in distress; some cats may take a little longer than average. But you could take her to the vet if you’re concerned, and I would recommend a vet visit if she doesn’t give birth soon.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
take her to the vet to be sure, if she is actually in labor and it has been a week she may loose her kittens and she could also die from complications.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So you think they conceived / mated by the same tom the same day? I guess the first one is a little early, the second is a little late... Do you know how big kittens are from the first one? weigh at delivery? Fully done with fur and decently rounded?

Anyway, they almost always drop some a couple of days before delivery. Ie seems smaller. Has she dropped as yet?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. On purpose you write... Cats can in some degree steer when they deliver. Are you sure she has it convenient and feels safe?

Lizzy20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So success, she gave birth 2 days ago. Forgot to write, but now I'm worried about something she is doing, she stole my other cats box and bought only one of her kittens in there with her, I put the others in (there's 5) and all was well and good until tonight she started meowing really loud and keeps getting up and laying on the kittens. The box is in a safe place she can get to and from without any dogs harassing her, not that I let them near the kittens anyway, but she still keeps doing it.
Also socks moved out of that box prior to snowball moving into it, she moved into a play pen I bought for the kitty's when the get a little older.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put both boxes near each other and let her choose.

Are the boxes big enough for her to settle without lying on her kittens?

Are all kittens nursing well?

Does she want to be alone or near the other cat?

It’s hard for me to know what she’s trying to convey to you.

Lizzy20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The boxes are pretty much next to each other, the box she's chosen now is wider than the one she gave birth in. They seem to be nursing fine when I check them, she doesnt seem phased by my other cat as they eat together and still hang out around the house together when the kittens aren't feeding.

Just want to note for anyone else that's struggling like I did, she wasn't interested in giving birth because she couldn't get to the other box that already had kittens in it, after I got her a box for herself she was very interested and it only took her 2 days to have her babies in it