I'm Worried About My Cat

StarKitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, last Christmas me and my family adopted a kitten from the pet store. The employees told us that he was over a year old, already neutered, and in perfect health.

This is when things got kind of worrying. He was neutered, though it seemed to be very recent, since his testes hadn't even shrunk. It was to the point where we didn't think he was even neutered at all. But upon taking him home with us we realized that wasnt the only thing wrong.

He couldn't jump. He could not even jump 14 inches. My parents dismissed it as him being young and clumsy, but I was a bit suspicious.

That was when I figured out that when any sort of pressure was put on his haunches, he would cry out and flinch away(In rare cases, even bite and claw out of instinct). His back legs were extremely weak.

Almost a month later we found out our service dog had gotten roundworm eggs. They weren't hatched, but we also learned that it was from Orion. We took them to the vet and were perscribed with medicine that would kill the worms. In his feces the amount of worms he had was revolting. That was probably why he ate so much but never grew. Before long he was cured.

I had wondered if maybe the jumping problems and pain had been from the worms, or a poorly done neutering, but now I'm not sure.

We have now had him for half a year. Through lots of play and affection, he allows us to at least pet his head. He can at least jump onto chairs now.

But lately I kind of pieced a few things together. His reaction to his haunches being touched is worrying. I still have never seen him jump over 25 inches. He is a very fast runner though. And perhaps the most worrying thing (With the exception to the pain), he has a terrible righting reflex. He only recently started jumping to catch toys, and he lands on his feet about 1/5th of the time. He doesn't move his tail

I recorded a little video of me giving him a little squish. His haunches are really tender.. :'(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Your cat is a cutie pie. :catlove:

Watching your video, however, it does appear that it bothers or hurts him when he's touched. I really have no idea what the cause could be. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but I'd probably take him back to the vet to get checked out.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes i agree with rubysmama. A vet visit with a full check up is the best thing to do! I cant see the video, but anytime there seems to be a continuing problem, that does not quickly get better i vote for a vet visit.
Do keep us updated on how he is, and what you find out.