I'm Thinking Of Donating The Skinny Clothes

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been hanging on to my size small clothes for several years thinking I will get into them again someday. I have a bad knee that keeps me from walking, let alone running. I hate to give up, but it might be time. What do you think? Don't give up or Stop feeling guilty and accept your fluffiness?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a good point Willowy. I'm cheap and I hate wasting money which causes me to hoard a little bit. I feel like I am giving up my "dream" of a more perfect thin me. It's hard to do.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say do it! I just took some to Goodwill today after an appointment.

I have always struggled with my weight, mainly in my legs. I could starve myself-literally--and barely lose a pound. I did starve myself down to a size four about six years ago (it took 2 years to go from a 9 to a 4). (Long story, but it was not an eating disorder just a lot of stuff.) I stayed a size four for almost a year. The top half of me was really skinny, so the bottom half did not exactly match.) Then about 4 years ago, I gained 60 lbs in a matter of four months. My eating really had not changed. The doctor thought that it was one of the medicines I was on at the time. The fact that I am disabled complicated the matter.

Two years ago, months before my wedding and after I had to get a new dress, my family doctor and I were talking about how my weight just does not seem to fit what I eat. She noted that most of it is in my lower half with some in my arms. (Honestly, my body looks like it belongs to two separate people. Eventually, she diagnosed me with lipoedema, a disease I had never heard of until then. Medicare does not cover the right treatment, as it categorizes it as cosmetic. The disease can be horrific. I am at stage two and hope never to get any worse. We are trying to save money to get a better treatment.

Anyway, I still had some xx-small shirts, x-small shirts, small shirts, and pants ranging from a 4 to 12 that I finally gave up on keeping. We put them in bags last week. It made me feel sick at the time, but it feels better today. I cannot exactly explain why. Maybe, with surgery or other treatment, I will see a 12 again; however, for now, I am holding onto my 14 with a tight, hopeful grip. I went up to a 16 over the summer, which was tough. My husband and I are trying intermittent fasting and I got a chi machine that is supposed to help. Honestly, though, the doctor does not see the intermittent fasting really helping my weight, but, since it may make my husband get to a weight at which he feels better, I have no issues. It is actually easy for me since I often only eat once a day. (Even if it does not help with my weight, it does help with my disabled leg and my back!)

Sorry, this is so long. It is just a topic that is close to my heart. Or should I say thighs?

Side note: I am 5' with short limbs. I am not saying that a size 16 is unacceptable, bad, unattractive, or unhealthy for someone else. At my height and with my mobility issues, a size 16 is cumbersome, uncomfortable, and depressing. I actually thought I looked better at a 10 or 12 than what I did at a 4.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say do it! I just took some to Goodwill today after an appointment.

I have always struggled with my weight, mainly in my legs. I could starve myself-literally--and barely lose a pound. I did starve myself down to a size four about six years ago (it took 2 years to go from a 9 to a 4). (Long story, but it was not an eating disorder just a lot of stuff.) I stayed a size four for almost a year. The top half of me was really skinny, so the bottom half did not exactly match.) Then about 4 years ago, I gained 60 lbs in a matter of four months. My eating really had not changed. The doctor thought that it was one of the medicines I was on at the time. The fact that I am disabled complicated the matter.

Two years ago, months before my wedding and after I had to get a new dress, my family doctor and I were talking about how my weight just does not seem to fit what I eat. She noted that most of it is in my lower half with some in my arms. (Honestly, my body looks like it belongs to two separate people. Eventually, she diagnosed me with lipoedema, a disease I had never heard of until then. Medicare does not cover the right treatment, as it categorizes it as cosmetic. The disease can be horrific. I am at stage two and hope never to get any worse. We are trying to save money to get a better treatment.

Anyway, I still had some xx-small shirts, x-small shirts, small shirts, and pants ranging from a 4 to 12 that I finally gave up on keeping. We put them in bags last week. It made me feel sick at the time, but it feels better today. I cannot exactly explain why. Maybe, with surgery or other treatment, I will see a 12 again; however, for now, I am holding onto my 14 with a tight, hopeful grip. I went up to a 16 over the summer, which was tough. My husband and I are trying intermittent fasting and I got a chi machine that is supposed to help. Honestly, though, the doctor does not see the intermittent fasting really helping my weight, but, since it may make my husband get to a weight at which he feels better, I have no issues. It is actually easy for me since I often only eat once a day. (Even if it does not help with my weight, it does help with my disabled leg and my back!)

Sorry, this is so long. It is just a topic that is close to my heart. Or should I say thighs?

Side note: I am 5' with short limbs. I am not saying that a size 16 is unacceptable, bad, unattractive, or unhealthy for someone else. At my height and with my mobility issues, a size 16 is cumbersome, uncomfortable, and depressing. I actually thought I looked better at a 10 or 12 than what I did at a 4.
I was thinking about doing the intermittent fasting. Is it hard to just eat one meal a day?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about donating them and then buying new clothes in another size when you need them.
Yes, I probably will. I just needed a little encouragement. I am trying to be more of a minimalist and just own things I actually use.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Mom does that too. Thing is, when she has lost the weight she usually ends up buying new clothes because style changes.

I say turn the hangers around and put them back right ways as you wear things. In six months anything that is still turned around goes (unless it has sentimental significance). Don't think about it just grab it and bag it.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about doing the intermittent fasting. Is it hard to just eat one meal a day?
It is easy for me. I normally only eat toast in the morning and then dinner, so skipping toast or dinner is pretty easy for me. It is more difficult on my husband; however, we have been doing it for almost a month and it has gotten easier on him. He even is eating less on the non-fasting days without really thinking about it.

We went over the various types (she showed us four, but I think there are more types) that we could try and picked the one that would work best for both of us. Neither of us has been weighed since we started. It does seem like his shirts are less snug, though. We both agree about that.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Donate them. I think that keeping smaller size clothing would start to feel like it's a constant reminder of having been smaller. Make room in your closet for clothes that fit your body now and stuff that you feel comfortable in and also love. Plus I agree what others have said, if you do get back to a smaller size, getting a whole new wardrobe isn't always a bad thing. ;)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is easy for me. I normally only eat toast in the morning and then dinner, so skipping toast or dinner is pretty easy for me. It is more difficult on my husband; however, we have been doing it for almost a month and it has gotten easier on him. He even is eating less on the non-fasting days without really thinking about it.

We went over the various types (she showed us four, but I think there are more types) that we could try and picked the one that would work best for both of us. Neither of us has been weighed since we started. It does seem like his shirts are less snug, though. We both agree about that.
If I lose some weight I'm hoping my knee will get better. I hope you can get some help for the lipoedema.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I know how you feel because I have clothes in 3 different sizes (8, 10, and 12....there are a couple size 6 pants in there, too), depending on my weight. I'm like a yoyo and my weight fluctuates a lot. I keep them, simply because I know that even though I might be wearing size 12 right now, in two months, I could be wearing size 8. I'm more resigned to the sizes than anything.

But you do what's right for you. If you don't like keeping the smaller sizes, then don't keep them.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I could get into those clothes it was because I was running. Now I can't because of the knee. But maybe the knee will get better. I know people say you can buy new clothes, but I can't afford to buy clothes. It's embarrassing to admit how poor I am. I guess because people assume your are some kind of a bum if your poor. I think I may give the fasting a try and walk more. My knee is hurting a little less than it was. I want to give one more try before I give up on the fabulous skinny me.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I can't afford to buy new clothes every time I gain or lose weight! I just can't. And that's why I keep what I have. The only time I got rid of clothing was back when I lost 76 pounds and I got rid of my really, really fat clothes. But everything else I keep. I've gone into my closet more than once with the intention of getting rid of my size 8s. I didn't; three months later, I was wearing them. Like I said, my body is a yoyo.

Be careful with your knees. If you can't run, don't worry about it; I haven't been able to run in years. But I can walk, so that's what I do. There are also exercises that you can do to help your body, help your legs, and so on (says the person who absolutely hates exercise :paperbag:).

As far as the fasting, well, be careful there, too. Honestly, the best way to lose the weight is slowly and carefully.

I wish you well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could maybe, to get yourself started, just go through the "skinny clothes" and weed out the stuff you wouldn't wear again even if you lost weight. Items that are too worn, you never liked it that much anyway, too out of style, etc. Then you can decide about the rest of the stuff later.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's embarrassing to admit how poor I am. I guess because people assume your are some kind of a bum if your poor.
No one thinks you are a bum, and, if anyone does, they have a problem. I am sure lots of us are in the same boat. I have found that people who are kindest to cats and dogs often struggle to make ends meet because they give almost as much as they have and often do without.