I'm taking the plunge! Does this sound ok

thecatlady3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've decided I'm finally going to do it! I am switching two of my cats to Raw and will try my best with the third. my plan is to feed red dog blue cat, as well as TC feline premix with mixed meat that I can find on sale. I hope it's ok to alternate between the 2? I know that red dog blue cat doesn't have bone in all of its formulas, so I know I need to alternate which formula I use. So thinking it should be okay with the TC feline premix. Is it okay to feed a chicken neck or chicken wing here and there as a substitute for any given meal?
Basically offering one or two Frankenprey meals per week with the rest being red dog blue cat and the TC feline premixed meals. Thank you for all of your help!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is ok to feed a mix of different kinds of raw.  Some people feed a mix of raw and canned food, ie raw for a couple of meals, canned for a couple of meals. 

If  I am reading you correctly, I am seeing 3 differently types of meals you are thinking about. 

1)  Frankenprey of chicken necks and/or wings

2)  Red Dog Blue Cat

3)  boneless meats with TC Feline?  or were you going to add the TC feline TO the Red Dog Blue Cat? 

BTW, when I looked up Red Dog Blue Cat (Kat), if it's the same company reddogdeli.com), I can't find anything stating some of their raw meats don't have bone in them, but I did see the % of bones is vastly different depending on the protein mix.  Also, their Cat mixtures have 30% organ.  I'm guessing that includes hearts, gizzards, etc.  Wonder what % is livers/kidneys, secreting organs?  AND, I wonder why they include vegies?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thecatlady3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is ok to feed a mix of different kinds of raw.  Some people feed a mix of raw and canned food, ie raw for a couple of meals, canned for a couple of meals. 

If  I am reading you correctly, I am seeing 3 differently types of meals you are thinking about. 

2)  Red Dog Blue Cat
     3)  boneless meats with TC Feline?  or were you going to add the TC feline TO the Red Dog Blue Cat? 

BTW, when I looked up Red Dog Blue Cat (Kat), if it's the same company reddogdeli.com), I can't find anything stating some of their raw meats don't have bone in them, but I did see the % of bones is vastly different depending on the protein mix.  Also, their Cat mixtures have 30% organ.  I'm guessing that includes hearts, gizzards, etc.  Wonder what % is livers/kidneys, secreting organs?  AND, I wonder why they include vegies?  
Thanks! I am going to make my own using boneless meat with the premix as well as offer meals using RDBK. I am not going to add the premix to RDBK. The kangaroo formula and wild boar doesn't contain bone. The veggies are less than 2% and the theory is that in the wild a cat would eat a bird or mouse, including stomach contents, which would be veggie matter? My cats love cat grass so I'm ok with it.

Thanks for your help!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

2)  Red Dog Blue Cat

From http://www.reddogdeli.com/products.php?id=57&page=RDBK Product For Cats, some of the formulas don't list calcium source and below the ingredients listing it says to alternate meals with bones.  I'm guessing every other meal you add a meal with bone or some other calcium source?  I really don't know.