I'm So Fed Up With How People Treat Cats.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About 2 months ago I notice we have a shy black & white cat running around where I work. She was probably left behind by a neighbor who moved. So we put food out and try to befriend her. She's not a hunter and we've even seen her trying to eat popcorn. She proceeds to give birth to 4 kittens in our shed.
Today at lunch I get a call from a co-worker "there's a starving cat over here!" Go get the cat. He's a BEAUTIFUL and friendly male . I'm told he's been outside for more than a week. He's hardly starving but he's a big friendly goof.
Honestly people, stop dumping your pets when you move. You made commitment to that animal when you brought it into your home.
Should I even mention the FIVE ferrets I've had that people left behind when they moved?
Grrrr....
Humanity stinks.

Last edited:

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About 2 months ago I notice we have a shy black & white cat running around where I work. She was probably left behind by a neighbor who moved. So we put food out and try to befriend her. She's not a hunter and we've even seen her trying to eat popcorn. She proceeds to give birth to 4 kittens in our shed.
Today at lunch I get a call from a co-worker "there's a starving cat over here!" Go get the cat. He's a BEAUTIFUL and friendly male c. I'm told he's been outside for more than a week. He's hardly starving but he's a big friendly goof.
Honestly people, stop dumping your pets when you move. You made commitment to that animal when you brought it into your home.
Should I even mention the FIVE ferrets I've had that people left behind when they moved?
Grrrr....
Humanity stinks.
That it does so I'm not only agreeing but giving you a :thumbsup:. I just found out that my cousin has moved out and decided to live up by his mom, he left behind 3 cats which are thankfully indoor cats but now it's up to me to support all those cats- cat food plus litter!!!!!
Why do humans get animals if they aren't going to show them love, attention and affection plus leave them behind for others to take care of?
It makes me wonder how those people would be like as parents.

Aftonb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tend to agree, but things happen. People fall on hard times or may have to move to a place that doesn't allow any pets, or have a child that ends up having a severe allergy. I can sympathize because I had animals i had a difficult time taking care of when i was 18 (one was rehomed, the other my mother put to sleep when I was away one weekend). Though now (many years later) I don't plan on having children and am in a position where I have more options for places to move if needed. Losing my pets traumatized me and my current cat will be with me until it's her time to go.

Last edited:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get it ! If you can't keep your kitten / cat rehome them somehow do not just leave to fend for itself ! Ive read so many threads on this site of abandoned cats and tiny kittens ! We don't live in the olden days where cats / dogs cannot be spayed and breeding can't be controlled ! Thank you for taking care of the cats !

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know if I had to do without I would just like if I had a child I would put him or her before I. Some don't take into consideration that cats ( or any type of animals) have feelings also and they don't understand what is happening or going on.
None of the animals here are actually mine except for 2 roosters ( maybe- not sure yet if both are roosters) but I love and tend to ALL the animals as if they were mine.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
There is never any excuse to abandon a pet and there are almost no excuses left for the ones someone has to not be S/N.
I have lived next door to my in-laws and SIL for almost 25 years and watched them treat animals like disposable toys. Kitten and puppy one after the other tossed out with minimal care when the cute wears off.
A dog or cat should be considered a 15 year commitment.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few years ago an old friend (who I no longer have contact with, for several reasons) posted on Facebook that her DD's cat had gone into heat and gotten out. Shortly after she started posting looking for free kittens because her little girl was just devastated her cat had gone missing. :fuming: I wanted to give her a peace of my mind; tell her if she'd fixed the last cat she'd likely never have run off! (They live on a busy street...) I knew finances were an issue so I tried to point her to some resources. I know one local rescue that does free spay drives was in contact with her. I just hope it helped. She was into some direct sales/multi-level marketing company and used my friends list to promote her business. That was the end of the facebook friendship. :hmmm: :sigh:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Every time my ignorant in-laws and their offspring allow a dog or cat to breed they undermine and slap the face of every person who spends their own money to s/n feral cats and strays. The feral cat problem is a direct result of not the inability but the refusal of a portion of our population that refuses to grow up and take responsibility for the animals that they choose to own

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah my sister in law and her partner (think its more him ) are always getting new cats and dogs ! You ask where the previous ones have gone and they usually have sold them ! They had one kitten however sold him after a few weeks because he weed on their bed! When we first got gracie she was at 7 weeks very hard work ! We used to joke to her she had to stop biting or she'd have to go ! But we never ever would ! She is our fur baby and she is ours whether she naughty or not for the next 18 years (I pray more).

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah my sister in law and her partner (think its more him ) are always getting new cats and dogs ! You ask where the previous ones have gone and they usually have sold them ! They had one kitten however sold him after a few weeks because he weed on their bed! When we first got gracie she was at 7 weeks very hard work ! We used to joke to her she had to stop biting or she'd have to go ! But we never ever would ! She is our fur baby and she is ours whether she naughty or not for the next 18 years (I pray more).
According to my relatives someone is always ' stealing' their pets. Their names should be in shelter/rescue data base and red flagged to not let them adopt. Flyers in the post office might be a good idea. There has to be a top 10 in every town and city across the country.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
My small, local pet supply store has the same policy that I believe many large chain pet supply stores have, that pets are welcome! Most commonly, people will bring dogs, but I have heard of people who bring their cats there on a leash and harness. This has been their policy since I got Charlie, but on my last visit there yesterday to pick up litter, new toys, etc., I noticed a new sign posted in the store that said, "we are an animal abuse-free store, if you hit, throw, or otherwise injure your pet, you'll be asked to leave". While it's great that the store is addressing animal abuse issues, at the same time it's sickening that the store needed to post that new sign, which indicates that a customer must have abused their pet in the store. :bawling:

mysugarcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you going to take the cats to get spayed/neutered? And will you help the kittens at least find new homes? Maybe your work can cover some of the fees.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm going to add my own rant about the creep who dropped off a cat in the parking lot of the shelter where I volunteer. She is beautiful - but she's an older cat and has some kind of health issue going on. She's scared. She's not eating. She's wetting herself. She's going to the vet, and I know they will do all they can to restore her health and even if it turns out to be something bad, they'll keep her as comfortable as they can for as long as she has. That's why I volunteer there, they are wonderful people.

This is just one in a long list of horrible things people do. Like leaving two wonderful boys together in one carrier mixed in with a bunch of garbage hoping they would just get tossed in the trash. Thank goodness someone heard them meowing, and they turned out to be the sweetest, most loving cats you could imagine, and they are now in their forever home.

I told the director today, sometimes I just don't like people very much. I wish the same things on them that they do to their animals.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heck, I bought groceries today. Not enough money for me AND the cats...they got litter, ONE dry and Tuna. I got popcorn and crackers ...
Our nearest Walmart is 90 miles away. They usually have the cheapest dry food and the cats actually like it. So sometimes if I make it there I stock up. Also it's in a state that has sales tax (ND) and if I buy more than $50 I get the sales tax taken off since my state has no sales tax. So last time I was there I bought a 30 lb bag of one flavor and another 40 lb of a different flavor. On the way out someone jokingly commented about stocking up for the year. I said, well a few months maybe. Sometimes I think they eat better than I do. Current count is 9 plus a feral who is usually eager to get his share.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I told the director today, sometimes I just don't like people very much. I wish the same things on them that they do to their animals.
I just need to remind myself that some people are like this and not all people. Sometimes it is just downright infuriating what some people do to cats (and dogs, if I may add). Both of my cats were thrown in the street as kittens, one in a pile of trash and the other in the middle of traffic. One of my dogs had someone 'responsible' for her, but this person had the nerve to say to my face that he never fed her because he just didn't have the time. Why would people choose to keep any animals if they don't really want to commit to them? After all, it is a choice. It is not mandatory. They make life more complicated, noisier, and more expensive, but it is a choice.

I guess it comes down to ignorance and a lack of empathy. I've been told that animals in general are not equal to humans, to which I always reply "fortunately".

To me, it is not about equality, but about whether they feel, and they certainly do. Sorry for the long post. Rant over!