I'm so excited!!!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
News is reporting that Trader Joe's is coming to Colorado!!!

Sounds like it will be built in Boulder, but I'm willing to make the drive. For years, anyone we know who was making a trip to NM, AZ or CA would be given a Trader Joe's shopping list.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trader Joe's is also coming to Texas!  They are opening a store not too far from me, so I'll have to make the trip when they open.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's interesting.  We have a store not very far from both of those locations (Fort Worth and The Woodlands).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lucky you! I just love TJs! The closest one we have is around Philadelphia, so we don't get there often. I always go to TJs when we visit my GF in CT in the fall. I love TJs olive oil....it's the best. When my nephew comes up to visit, he always brings me a bottle of both the virgin and the extra virgin. Their pumpkin butter is quite good, too. The vodka sauce is just delicious. And I like their pepita simmer sauce served with chicken. It's so good. Rick likes their tiny little peanut butter cups; they're about the diameter or a little finger....just little things. I always buy my raw almonds there, too.

They have a great selection of cheeses...two years ago, when we were in CT, that TJs carried a fontiago cheese at the time, kind of a cross between fontina and asiago and it was to die for.....but they didn't carry it very long, so maybe we're the only ones who liked it. It was very good. That's one of the things I don't like about TJs....they carry something, get you hooked and then they don't carry it anymore. Maybe that's just the nature of that kind of store.

But I love Trader Joe's!

Last edited:

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome! It's my favorite grocery store. I was so happy when they opened one within walking distance of me. There were two others in Manhattan, but I had to take a subway there. Now, I make my TJ's list, and walk up and back. Love, love, love that store!!

And, yeah...... their cheeses are fantastic!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YOU will love it!!! I have one near me and just love Trader Joe's. Their cat food is pretty good stuff. I have never used it but have heard from other's on site that it is good.

They do have incredibly unique brands of EVERYTHING available. The cheese selections are the best too :yummy: :clap:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
awesome! There's one opening a mile down from me (I'd used to go when I visited my parents for the cat food). The cat food is good and my cats enjoy it too :) I love that store!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wish we had one here; the closest is in St.Louis, about 1 1/2 hours away. They have a hair conditioner that I just love---it smells like almonds.

Did you know that Aldi's, Trader Joe's, and Albertson's are all owned by the same parent company?  I've never even seen an Albertson's, so don't know anything about them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I've heard of Aldi's, but we don't have them here. We do have Albertson's, but they have kind of a "ghetto grocery store" reputation... People seem more inclined here to shop at Safeway or King Soopers (Kroger's).

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh! Our Albertson's closed years ago, but they were just as pricy as the other stores around here. We have Aldi's and I love them. No Trader Joe's though. too bad.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I read something about TJ's coming to our area also --- Naples or maybe Ft. Myers, FL.  Hope so as I've heard so much about it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't know that Aldi, TJ, and Albertson's were all owned by the same parent company!  Interesting because they've been closing the Albertsons around here.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has an Aldi near her. I love that store too, and wish there were one in New York. I've always liked it, and was surprised to find out it was the same company that owned TJ's, as they present themselves in a totally different way, but good prices there at Aldi!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aldi is a very "bottom line" company.  If they close a store ( be it an Aldi, TJ, or Alberson's ) it's because they're not making money. 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been in our local Aldi's twice.  Bought some cat food there, and I really wasn't impressed.  We had a very close Alberton's but they closed; there's still one just a couple of miles away. 

We don't shop at Safeway; we had some really bad experiences with them when we were trucking.  Same with HEB.

I remember King Soopers, from my days growing up in Denver.

You should know that Aldi has a reputation very similar to Wal-Mart globally.  I see that although Trader Joe's seems to be owned by Aldi, it makes no mention of that anywhere on its website.

Albertsons doesn't seem to have any connection to Aldi's or Trader Joe's.  Perhaps you're confusing it with Albrecht, which is the name of the founder of Aldi's.

Last edited:

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should know that Aldi has a reputation very similar to Wal-Mart globally.  I see that although Trader Joe's seems to be owned by Aldi, it makes no mention of that anywhere on its website.

Albertsons doesn't seem to have any connection to Aldi's or Trader Joe's.  Perhaps you're confusing it with Albrecht, which is the name of the founder of Aldi's.
Karl and Theo Albrecht were brothers who founded the Aldi company in post-war Germany ( WW II, that is).  They are/were the owners/founders of Aldi and TJ.  After conferring with my husband ( who has worked for Aldi since they bought out the first company he worked for in 1976 ) I'm told that one of the brothers owns or is the founder of  the parent company of Albertson's.  Even tho Karl and Theo started the original company, their views of how to run it were quite different, leading to a split in Germany (Aldi North and Aldi South), which eventually led to a split in the U.S., as well.

And by the way, our cats don't like Aldi's cat food, either.  I gave what our cats wouldn't eat to my brother, and his cats turned up their noses, too.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Albertson's LLC is the current owner of Albertsons, using the name from Super Valu.  Albertson's LLC is owned by Cerberus Capital Management.  Super Valu is over 100 years old, founded before the Albrecht brothers were born.  I'm just not seeing the connection.  But, hey, I was told for many years that Albertson's was owned by the Mormon Church, and that wasn't true, either.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Maybe 29th Street will finally get its grocery store.  Wild Oats never got their headquarters open and Whole Foods didn't need it as they were expanding their 30th Street store.  What will be interesting is how Trader Joe's handles the liquor laws.  They can only have one store with a liquor store connected with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a specialty grocery store that has some insanely good store brand food. Last time my mom was in AZ she picked up some cous-cous that was to die for. It's kind of like Whole Foods with better stuff and better prices.

http://www.traderjoes.com/

Last edited: