I'm Scared

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I woke up to feed the stray cats that I take care of.They both were happy to see me but I noticed something on the male cat.He is a longhair ginger cat and I.noticed that his tail didn't go all the way up like it normally does when he hears food.I touched him at the base of the tail and he started meowing in pain.I'm starting to panic that his tail might be broken,and as always,my parents wouldn't want to take him to the vet because of money.I'm scared if his tail really is broken I wouldn't be able to do anything and he would be in pain.Is there anything at home I can do to help him?Convincing my parents seems far away right now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How to Tell If Your Cat Has a Broken Tail

This is a brief summary of what usually happens with a broken tail. It may heal on its own. Do you see any signs of anything else like blood or a wound? Even if this cat is friendly to you, be cautious about touching any animal who is in pain. If this is not just the tail or if it is a serious injury, he may need more help; however, I do understand your limits. Does this appear to be only in the tail? Legs are fine? Eating? Walking?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Only at a part of the tail he will bite me.He seems to run and walk well and he is friendly to me but will only bite if I touch that part of the tail.

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can try to bring him in at night since my parents do not like him going inside since he leaves hair everywhere.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This seems like a tail injury, although we can't be certain. Do not let yourself get bitten. Your parents will be upset, more than likely, and cat bites can carry bacteria. Even a friendly pet cat who bites can leave an infection. If you feel that you have to try to touch him, see if you have some heavy duty gloves like you might use around the yard and proceed carefully.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get help froma local rescue group to tnr these cats and find them homes? They may help also woth the medical costs he needs to treat his tail etc. They sound like they can be socialized and be indoor cats. You can also crowd funding etc to rsise money to pay for the care. And maybe dvm will allow a payment plan.

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can try,I just need to find an animal shelter near me thats good and I guess it will be just hard to say goodbye,but yes I can try to do that

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can try,I just need to find an animal shelter near me thats good and I guess it will be just hard to say goodbye,but yes I can try to do that
I know it will not be easy, but if you can get help you will be doing the best thing for them since you can't take them in yourself.

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so an update.I checked his tail again and i found a tiny little red bump on his tail(sorry if it is not that visible on the photo).There was mucus coming out of the spot so I tried cleaning it with a paper tówel.I tried cleaning it slowly so he wouldnt bite me but he just cried in pain.
20211024_110437.jpg

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so an update.I checked his tail again and i found a tiny little red bump on his tail(sorry if it is not that visible on the photo).There was mucus coming out of the spot so I tried cleaning it with a paper tówel.I tried cleaning it slowly so he wouldnt bite me but he just cried in pain.View attachment 399630
Another possibility is he could have an abscess as well post injury. Either way he needs to get a dvm.