I’m scared to lose my cat

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
It has been a while since I’ve been active on this site. There is something that has been bothering me and there’s no other place for me to express myself other than this forum.

My cat just turned 10 years old this week… and for some reason it scares me. It scares me because I feel like shes getting older and she may not have much time left since the average feline can live up to 15 years. She’s been my companion since I was 17 years old. I’ve had been through some emotional trauma growing up, at some point i had depression and she has been my source of comfort. I love her so much, & I know that I will not want to let her go when the time comes. There is no reason for me to believe her time is coming. There are no health issues, she eats and acts normally. And I know it’s just me over thinking stuff. As silly as this may sound she’s given me so much comfort. I am glad to still have her in my life, and my daughter got a chance to meet her and my other cat, Anubis. She loves to pet them and give them kisses. I can’t express this to anyone because I don’t think anyone will understand. Which is why I am here. both cats live with my parents because where I live pets aren’t allowed, but I visit often and my cat still likes to sleep on me. I hope she (and Anubis) can live longer than average. I don’t want to ever let them go. 😔

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No one really ever wants that day to come. My soul-kitty left me unexpectedly when I was in college. I'd picked her out when I was just a kid in elementary school and she was still a little jellybean in her nest with her mama. I was so devastated! But since then I've had several cats that have not passed suddenly. We had to make tough choices and watch them decline. And that's hard in a different way. But it's shown me that the best thing we can do sometimes is just love them in the moment. Looking forward steals today's joy. Sometimes that takes a conscious effort. People here have always said that you know when it's time. And that's been true. You can miss them; and still find comfort in knowing it was their time and they are not suffering anymore.

So will that be a painful day? Yes. But it's part of loving them. Pain means there was love. It would be sad if it wasn't painful! It might be easy and difficult at the same time. I sat with Noodles all night until she passed. I'd do it all over again for her to know she was loved until the end. I was going to bring her to the vet first thing because I knew

But don't let those thoughts take up more space in your head than they should. It'll come; but today is worth enjoying. You can't know what the future holds. I have found that doing that leaves me with little to no regrets. And then your heart heals and you move on to love another too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You can't know what the future holds. I have found that doing that leaves me with little to no regrets. And then your heart heals and you move on to love another too.
I completely agree! :agree: We have had cats for over 40 years and loved each and every one of them. The youngest one we ever lost for health reasons was only 3 yrs. old. That was extremely difficult and totally unexpected. You came to the right place since we all share those feelings and don't want our cats to leave us but as MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles mentioned above none of us know what the future holds. For that reason it is important to love and enjoy them while they are here especially if they were adopted/rescued and you gave them a forever home. :catlove:

With the passing of each cat I always saved something special to remind me of them whether it was a toy, collar or even a food dish. I'm glad you have found comfort and emotional support with your present cat. I hope you will cherish all the moments you have with her and try not to ponder the what if's. However, when that time comes we will be here to listen and grieve along with you. :grouphug:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have always had an attachment to them, especially her since she was my first cat and she came in to my life when i needed her the most. She was found abandoned as a tiny kitten along with her brother who unfortunately did not survive. She still had to be bottle fed and there i was, a teenager in high school waking up every few hours at night to feed her and keeping up with my school work. She saved me just as much as I saved her.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand how you feel. It always hurts so deep when we lose our beloved furry companion, dogs or cats.

Lately I have been also feeling the same way as you do with my Bourbon. I often catch myself just looking at her as she sleeps, and wonder how I'd ever cope without her. Among my cats, she is my favorite as she also came to me at a time when I was in my lowest of lows. She knows when I am sick or when i am in distress. I remember her yowling when I had a very high fever. It seems like we are soulmates. I even told her once that when she goes, I will try to go with her so she wouldn't be alone. That is how much I love her.

But then again, all things come to an end. So we better be prepared for it no matter how hard it is. In the meantime, we live one day at a time and try as much as we can to provide all the love and care we always give to our pets.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat just turned 10 years old this week… and for some reason it scares me. It scares me because I feel like shes getting older and she may not have much time left since the average feline can live up to 15 years.
In a few weeks it will be 8 years since I adopted my Ruby, and since her estimated age at the time was 2 or 3, that means she's now about 10 or 11,so around the same age as your girl. And, like you, it's kinda scaring me, as I realize she's not a young cat anymore.

Ruby's the first pet I've ever had on my own, and I dread the thought of losing her, but try not to dwell on those thoughts. I do, however, totally understand how you're feeling. 🤗

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Im always asking my mom if she’s ok, if she’s eating right and if she’s active . My mom says that since I moved out she no longer hangs out in what used to be my room and now prefers the living room or their room. whenever I visit I always happy to see both of them. I pick her up and cradle her and she falls asleep on me. even as an old cat she still looks so cute when she’s curled up in a ball. 😭

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand, I'm afraid of losing my cats as well. One is going on 26 years old. The other two are 8 and 7 and all three got sick within the last two months with different things. My boy who's 7 has been coughing and wheezing today sending me into panic mode even though it's a thing he does from time to time, and he's always been fine. Working on getting him to the vet soon about that.

Honestly there's no real cause for my intense anxiety, but it's still there and still annoying as heck.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand, I'm afraid of losing my cats as well. One is going on 26 years old. The other two are 8 and 7 and all three got sick within the last two months with different things. My boy who's 7 has been coughing and wheezing today sending me into panic mode even though it's a thing he does from time to time, and he's always been fine. Working on getting him to the vet soon about that.

Honestly there's no real cause for my intense anxiety, but it's still there and still annoying as heck.
Wow, 26? I hope mine can 13+ years or more. I would always check if they were still breathing when they would sleep. My cats sometimes have that habit of appearing to be dead when they’re asleep. Like I would nudge them but they would not wake up. I was sent in to panic mode in the middle of the night a lot of times because my girl would go in to a deep sleep, the only way I’d make her wake up was if I picked her up. Then she would stretch her paws and legs. I sometimes think my girl just likes messing with me because she’s the only one who has given me scares.She’s hidden in good hiding spots before where it causEd me to look for her in a panic and crying out in the street and making me look foolish in front of the neighbors when she was under the couch the whole time lol but my boy has never done that to me.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, 26? I hope mine can 13+ years or more. I would always check if they were still breathing when they would sleep. My cats sometimes have that habit of appearing to be dead when they’re asleep. Like I would nudge them but they would not wake up. I was sent in to panic mode in the middle of the night a lot of times because my girl would go in to a deep sleep, the only way I’d make her wake up was if I picked her up. Then she would stretch her paws and legs. I sometimes think my girl just likes messing with me because she’s the only one who has given me scares.She’s hidden in good hiding spots before where it causEd me to look for her in a panic and crying out in the street and making me look foolish in front of the neighbors when she was under the couch the whole time lol but my boy has never done that to me.
I understand my girl does similar things to me. Then she gives me the "what?" look. Drives me a bit nuts. She's lucky she's cute and I love her to pieces.