I’m pregnant and my cat seems irritated

kittykstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
I adopted my cat, Nash, in October of last year. My fiancé and I recently found out I am pregnant and I’ve noticed my cat has been acting strange around me. He seems more irritated/agitated when I’m around him or when I try to pick him up. He will try to bite/scratch me (not too hard). But he’s super comfortable and loving towards my fiancé. He always chose my fiancé over me but he was never irritated like he is now with me before. Any advice? I don’t want to give him away or anything so that’s not an option and am willing to work through to make him feel more comfortable with this pregnancy! Thanks in advance!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, I wonder if the hormones are sending out a signal or smelling weird to him. Our girls actually got more affectionate with me super early in pregnancy (we moved when I was 7 weeks, and they got distracted by the new house).

Try not to pick him up for now and maybe drop him a treat once in a while if you do treats?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If it is your hormones causing his behavior, rubbing yourself with a towel or blanket that has his scent on it - so you smell more like him - may or may not work, but you could try it. It might be possible that your demeanor has changed a bit too because of the pregnancy, and that is the cause instead of hormones/scent. On that note, you might try some of the suggestions in the article link below on 'how to get a cat to like me'. It might help to 'relax' you when you are around him and maybe he will relax a bit too.

I also included a link to another article about cats and babies in case that might help you any in terms of preparing for your new arrival!

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles
Cats And Babies: All Your Questions Answered! – TheCatSite Articles

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if the hormones are sending out a signal or smelling weird to him.
Yes, there are specific chemistry changes to your body due to producing more progesterone and estrogen. Your body temperature tends to increase which makes you feel warmer so they want to cuddle. Pregnancy can affect your habits and routine too which cats pick up on. We had two cats but one was very attached to me before I became pregnant and he definitely picked up on it. Here's a great article that discusses how to help your cat accept changes when you're pregnant:
I'm pregnant and my cat is furious - ABC Life

Good luck and best wishes with your pregnancy. 🤗 When are you due? Please keep us posted on the progress with your cat, Nash.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all!! 🤍🤍 I appreciate all of your guys’ input and advice! I will definitely try your suggestions and read up more on what I can do to help him! I’m due in February so I still have a long way to go hehe but I will definitely keep you guys updated!! Thank you guys again! 🤗💕

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure he'll adjust. I don't know if you're having morning sickness, but the smell of that if you are, could also be putting him off. I'm sure he'll come around.

I plan on letting our girls explore furniture and get a recording of a baby crying closer to my due date to help them start to adjust as well. It'll be a big change, but I'm hoping they'll love our baby, and I hope Nash will feel the same to yours.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just the fact that somethings different might make him more alert and thus less inclined to relax. Not a great example but its kind of like how you sense a storm coming. You smell the rain, feel the humidity, see the clouds and such and you become more alert to what is happening. He may or may not know what but he knows something is up. Cats and babies generally get along pretty good so there is no reason to rehome him. In fact many cats become very protective of the new additions. I am just mentioning from memory here but there have been some cats in nursing homes that have learned to sniff out infections much like dogs do. So they do notice changes in people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update if anyone goes through something similar! It’s been a few months now and he’s definitely warmed up! He’s even more affectionate now towards me and even goes with me/watches over me whenever I need to use the restroom 4718472 times in the night, haha! Every once in awhile he will pull at my shirt around my belly area to cuddle while on the couch (which he’s never done pre pregnancy). But you all were right! He was definitely sensing something was different which explains his offset behavior in the beginning but he has definitely gotten used to it now! 🤗🤍

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update if anyone goes through something similar! It’s been a few months now and he’s definitely warmed up! He’s even more affectionate now towards me and even goes with me/watches over me whenever I need to use the restroom 4718472 times in the night, haha! Every once in awhile he will pull at my shirt around my belly area to cuddle while on the couch (which he’s never done pre pregnancy). But you all were right! He was definitely sensing something was different which explains his offset behavior in the beginning but he has definitely gotten used to it now! 🤗🤍
Mine has become more and more of a lap kitty and she never was her first three years. I wonder sometimes if she hears the baby's heartbeat and likes to be near it.