I'm Outraged!! Kitten at pet store bleeding from rectum

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How awful for those poor kittens!
I am glad you wrote that email and called the humane society. I only hope they can do something to help that poor kitten. Those places make me SO angry! Makes you just want to go in there with a big carrier and take them all out!

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Siameseohio~

Thank you SO much for speaking up. Despite the fact that public/private awareness has increased with regard to mills and pet stores (and actually, the numbers *have* decreased significantly) we still have a long way to go.

Public awareness and education is so key. And even then, so much can be swept under the rug. Ignorance, obliviousness, and plain ol' apathy exists in all matters. But come ON people!!!

It's sickening what animals, both domestic and wild, have gone through at the hands of people trying to make profits. I never harden to it; each new story breaks my heart. Sometimes it gets so overwhelming to think about it all

We just have to keep being advocates for these little guys and treat every small step as a small victory.

It's so uplifting to read these threads and know there are people like you (and others who clearly are aware and love/respect animals).

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Boogie&Sams Mom

I'm so proud of you for doing that. It is absolutely true that the squeakiest wheel gets the grease. THe general population might not be ready to face up to how animals are treated, but I really feel like their plight is becoming more and more noticed. I pray every day that in this lifetime I will see dramatic changes.

Thank you for taking those extra steps!

Kelle

Ditto, Boogie&Sams Mom

SO true about the 'general population'. It's easier to avoid the issue because it's too sad, too enraging, too overwhelming. But everyone *can* make a difference. I don't expect every single human to be an animal lover; we are all different and all have our passions. But I do expect more from EVERYONE when it comes to awareness and animal respect. That is my 'red button' area

As for dramatic changes, I do think spaying and neutering has come a LONG way. I worked for a spay/neuter mobile clinic and was astounded at the response--and this was a rural, poor area. People ARE taking notice. YOu will always have the subset who think "Why would I spay my pet? She needs to have a litter! Why would I mess with nature?" (yadda yadda yadda). But I think that issue is *finally* more global.

So progress can be made it just takes the voices like the orignal poster in this thread and everyone else who speaks up and further educates, and the animal care professionals who go out of their way to educate, assist, and faciliate animal heath and well being!!!

And mark me down for some heavy handed laws & punishment regarding animal abuse/neglect/poaching, etc etc etc. That area has improved too but has a long long way to go!!!

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Siameseohio - Thank you so much for standing up for this poor little baby. That was a great letter you wrote. As I was going about with my Easter plans on Sunday, this poor kitty was on my mind all day. All I did all day was pray for this poor baby. Thanks again for being proactive for those that can't speak :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was waiting to see if I got a response to my email, but of course I didn't. I was hoping they'd say something about how they were diligently trying to improve or take care of their animals.

I'm going to follow up with the Humane Society probably tomorrow to see if anything came of their investigation. I was also going to call the pet store to see how the vet visit went or if there was a vet visit. Although I imagine they might not be to receptive to talking to me. I can't imagine they didn't hear from corporate concerning my email.

My goal was to make sure that that kitten is o.k., and hopefully be able to move on. But since this has happened it has me thinking even more about the other animals that I won't cross paths with, but are in even worse conditions.

I don't believe in coincidence. I do believe I seen that kitten for a reason. I want to make an impact, so I will have to pray on what it is that I'm suppose to do and how I'm suppose to get involved.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That makes me feel sick thinking about those poor kittens. I applaud you for doing what you can to protect them. Have you been back since to see if the situation has improved for them, or even got worse? Gosh, I really hope something is done about it. I really cannot stomach the kind of treatment some poor animals recieve. I am thinking about them and hoping that they have now been given a better chance in life, thanks to your actions.

Please keep us posted, I would really like to hear what happens.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, the cats at Petsmart are not being sold; the company never sold cats and dogs. They're there for adoption, and Petsmart only provides the facility for various rescue groups to show their animals. So they're doing a charitable thing. Info on their adoption program:

http://www.petsmart.com/adoptions/index.shtml

So boycotting the store would be hurting animals, not helping them.

It also explains why the kittens are so young... they may have been motherless or abandoned.

It does sound like this kitten needed medical help. The rescue group caregivers may be guilty of inattention... with kittens there are a lot of illnesses and parasites that can get passed around. It could be that this rescue group isn't careful enough or isn't getting the kittens all the vet care and worming required. Rectal bleeding can be caused by a range of things, from worms to food allergies. Some are easy to diagnose and treat, and some aren't.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is really awful and I would've done the same thing as you, telling the manager. I also would call or go back and check and make sure they took care of all those kitties. This is totally no accepted, glad you noticed it. I have no idea what could've made the kitty bleed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Yes, the cats at Petsmart are not being sold; the company never sold cats and dogs. They're there for adoption, and Petsmart only provides the facility for various rescue groups to show their animals. So they're doing a charitable thing. Info on their adoption program:

http://www.petsmart.com/adoptions/index.shtml

So boycotting the store would be hurting animals, not helping them.

It also explains why the kittens are so young... they may have been motherless or abandoned.

It does sound like this kitten needed medical help. The rescue group caregivers may be guilty of inattention... with kittens there are a lot of illnesses and parasites that can get passed around. It could be that this rescue group isn't careful enough or isn't getting the kittens all the vet care and worming required. Rectal bleeding can be caused by a range of things, from worms to food allergies. Some are easy to diagnose and treat, and some aren't.
The kitten I was referring to wasn't at Petsmart but Petland. Petland does sell dogs, cats, rabbits, etc. I do strongly encourage people to boycott Petland stores and their affiliates. I encourage support for Petsmart. I've never had an issue with them, and appreciate what they are doing by allowing rescue groups to utilize their space.

I called the pet store earlier today and they told me they took the kitten to the vet on Monday and it was diagnosed with an upper respitory infection. They said they are now treating it with amoxicillan (sp?). I didn't know that an URI could cause rectal bleeding. I haven't heard back from the humane society yet.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I see, sorry. I thought you had said it was Petsmart.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

I was waiting to see if I got a response to my email, but of course I didn't. I was hoping they'd say something about how they were diligently trying to improve or take care of their animals.

I'm going to follow up with the Humane Society probably tomorrow to see if anything came of their investigation. I was also going to call the pet store to see how the vet visit went or if there was a vet visit. Although I imagine they might not be to receptive to talking to me. I can't imagine they didn't hear from corporate concerning my email.

My goal was to make sure that that kitten is o.k., and hopefully be able to move on. But since this has happened it has me thinking even more about the other animals that I won't cross paths with, but are in even worse conditions.

I don't believe in coincidence. I do believe I seen that kitten for a reason. I want to make an impact, so I will have to pray on what it is that I'm suppose to do and how I'm suppose to get involved.
I am so glad that you did what you did, someone had to speak up for the little kitty.

Please keep us updated on it if you can.