I'm officially allergic to my cats.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My allergy doc turned to me and said "don't worry, we don't do cat-ectomies"

This whole time I was blaming our dog, and it turns out it's the 3 kitties (plus trees/grasses/etc.).

Don't worry, the cats aren't going anywhere!

I read conflicting things about whether it's the cat fur, cat dander, cat saliva....anyone know the answer? How do you cope with cat allergies?

(wasn't sure where to put this in the forum...)

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, you poor thing.

The good news is that there are a number of people on the site with cat allergies, as you probably know, and I'm sure they'll be along shortly to give you some good advice. I'm not one of them, but I wanted to let you know that you have my sympathy! Good luck to you.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, what your doc said made me smile. That's nice.

Yes, I don't know much, but there are a LOT of members here that can help in that department!

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to my kitties (and, it seems, everything else as well!) too. But, please know that in most instances, the allergies can be managed so that you do not need to rehome your cats. I did read that your cats aren't going anywhere and that makes me so happy. But, I do feel your pain about the allergies. They kind of really suck
!

For me, I take Claritin to take the edge off. Thankfully, I do not have asthma (though I do have some breathing issues that are unrelated) and I don't have to worry about that aspect of allergies, but I do have a lot of difficulties with both dander, fur, and cat litter. There have been periods of time in the past that I needed to receive injections to help control my allergies and, in really bad times, I've needed an inhaler. But, with a lot of work on my part, my allergies are manageable.

For one, I changed my litter to one that does not affect my allergies. The litter that works for me (but is not typically one that works for others with allergies to clay or dust) is Tidy Cats Scoop: Instant Action (the one in the blue tub). Secondly, I vaccuum...a lot. And, I also dust and run an air filter in my bedroom and in the main living space upstairs. I frequently launder my bed linens and the cats' beds and, where possible, their toys. Suffice it to say that I do quite a bit of laundry. I have a unique issue as my bedroom walls are covered in fabric. But, I've found dusters and hair magnets that work really well with the fabric on my wall as well as the furniture.

And, lastly, I do a lot of grooming on my cats. I'm not one who frequently bathes the cats (or dogs), but keeping up with regular grooming has proven crucial to my ability to battle allergies. I have and use my Furminator and also use brushes, combs, and curry combs. All of my cats are wiped down with a damp cloth daily and that cloth is thrown directly into the trash. I then do a quick groom (except for my DLH kitties in which their daily grooming routine is longer and more thorough) and change my clothes (which, by now, are covered in fur) and throw the clothes directly into the laundry bin in the basement. It does make things more difficult and time-consuming at times, but being able to have my pets in my home is worth the extra work.

Now that I'm working in a veterinary clinic, my allergies have gotten worse. But, frequent handwashing and using lint brushes have saved me countless times. Since your allergist seems like a compassionate individual toward your pets, I would discuss with him or her the changes you could make in your home that would benefit you. In most instances, the same things that will be helpful to you will be equally as beneficial to your pets. Kudos to you for being willing to fight the allergies and keep your cats. I've lost count on how many people are willing to throw up their hands and toss their pets out of their home. In some instances, sometimes, that's necessary. But, in most, as proven by me and my own experiences, allergies can be managed. I hope that's the case for you.

Please let us know how things work out. And, please, feel free to ask questions or offer solutions that you've determined work well for your situation. And, also, please do talk with your physicians -- in many cases they can and will help you figure out how to maintain your health and sanity and that of your pets too. Good luck and remember that you're not alone

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What great advice Alison!

I literally JUST developed allergies this year.
I've been getting through though and some days are worse than others. My Mom said that she developed allergies at the same age. Whatever happens though, I could be on my death bed, and I still would always be surrounded by kitties.
Good luck hun!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two years and two months ago, over a single weekend, I overloaded my system cleaning out a storage area and - according to my doctor - activated what had been a latent allergen to cats, dust mites and a bunch of other stuff. :-(

I "snort" Fluticasone Propionate nasal spray three times a week during the summer months when my windows are open and every day during the winter months when the house is closed up. I also have to take Advair several times a week, more often during the winter, to control the related but thankfully mild asthma.

This works for me, but I don't have a very severe allergy. I think your management measures are going to depend on your specific allergens, the level of response you have, how heavy the allergen load is in your home and the environment you live in.

Best of luck to you!

AC

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to my kitties too. One of the first things you should do is make a 'safe room': A place where your kitties can't go. Also, wash your hands and clothes frequently and vacuum.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a immune disorder ( yes allergies are a immune response , my issue is no response
)which mimics allergies ... I am actually allergic to cats 2.5 out of 4 what the dr calls bothersome to moderate( lol..).. For years I tried meds at one point the same dr had me on 13 different meds none helped ... living without a cat did not help either as my neighbors in the apartment also had cats .... On here came a suggestion that I had never heard and thought was funny .... Drum roll it and vacuuming helped tremendously ... Distilled water wipe downs of the kitties...I too wash hands alot to help..

the allergen is the dander which ends up in saliva due to grooming

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the allergic-to-cats cat owners' club! My advice is pretty much a repeat of Alison Joy's - laundering and vacuuming as much as possible.

I've done away with as many home textiles like rugs and heavy curtains as possible, and wash what's left frequently. All our furniture is leather and/or wood, and we have a water bed. We've got a HEPA air filtration system installed (heavy-duty unit used for restaurants and the like), and supplement that with small portable units. I actually think the small units would be enough, but we only have one cat now. It's important to change the filters often.