I'm Not Sure What Happened To My Cat!

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat was perfectly normal when I got home from work yesterday--running around like normal. He also seemed fine when I fell asleep, which was about midnight. However, I was startled awake at about 5:00 this morning by a loud noise. I'm not sure if the noise was him falling or him running into something, because he seemed to be in a panic. His tail was all puffed up and he was half running/half limping all over the room. The limp was pretty severe, but I couldn't tell if it was one of his back legs or his hip that was injured. After doing this for roughly 30 seconds, he was somehow able to get himself up on the bed, where he has remained for the past few hours. He has made a few attempts since then to get up by using his front legs, but it seems that one or both of his back legs won't support him, and he just falls back down. I tried to help him by picking him up off the bed, but he freaked out and started growling and hissing and almost bit me. He has never done that before, so it's pretty scary.

I called the vet as soon as they opened, but they could not fit him in until 10:00, so I have to wait about another hour until he can be seen. I am really scared as to what could be wrong with him. I know that blood clots can make cats lose the use of their back legs, so I am hoping that's not what this is.

Neither of his back legs seem to be swollen. There are no bones protruding, so I am really stumped. He is only a year and a half old.

This is the same cat that I started a thread about a while ago that was having the coughing episodes (which have greatly improved with the use of antihistamines).

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Waiting another hour to get him to the vet is killing me, and I would like to know what someone thinks.

He is fortunately resting comfortably for the moment, and does not seem to be in any immediate distress, but it is still worrisome.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very worrisome! My guess would be a sprain; those can be quite painful without being in any way life threatening, but only your vet can say for sure. I really hope it isn't a broken bone, it would pretty much be impossible to get him into the carrier without making that worse, but I would think that a broken bone would produce more than a mere limp, and you wouldn't be having any problem determining which leg he was favoring.

When he was climbing onto the bed, was he using his hind legs at all? Was he crying? Will he let you pet him?

Please let us know what the vet says. We worry.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is actually already in his carrier--thank goodness! He apparently got up and in to his carrier by himself when I left the room. He loves to sleep in it. Maybe it's a good sign that he got up, even When he got up on the bed, he seemed to be using one of his back legs, but he mostly used his front claws to drag himself up.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I posted accidentally before I was finished. I was trying to say that maybe it's a good sign he got in his carrier on his own, even though it was just a few feet. He has not made any crying noises, and he will let me pet him. He still seems lethargic and not himself though. I'm on the way to the the vet. I'll let you know what happens.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I hope the vet figures out what is wrong and is able to help.

A year and a half seems awfully young for a blood clot. Our vet put our elderly cat on Plavix to prevent clots, but she had a thyroid problem and heart condition with high blood pressure, the latter apparently being the biggest risk factor-- she was 15 at the time. I doubt your kitty has any of these problems at such a young age.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to send you a virtual hug and let you know you are both in my thoughts. It is very possible your baby has a sprain and it is good that you went to the vet quickly. Hang in there until you get some answers from the vet. I know how scary it is when our baby's get ill or injured.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the well wishes! The vet initially thought it could be a sprain but took some x-rays just to be sure. As it turns out, his leg was not the problem. He has a broken hip! I am baffled as to how it could have happened. I wish he could tell me! He is going to have surgery tomorrow and should be home in a couple of days. The vet said that it is a simple procedure, so I guess that is good news. From what I understand, they are going to remove a piece of bone. I don't quite remember all of the specifics. I was in a bit of shock.

They have him on pain meds which are hopefully helping him feel better, but I am sure he is not enjoying having to stay at the vet. Poor guy will have to stay confined to a kennel for a couple of weeks when he comes home.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless his heart. sorry you guys are going through this. It would be so much easier if they could talk to us! :) But mine would probably just grouch about their food...lol

Im sure everything will go well, and hopefully he will be all better soon! Do keep us all updated on how he is doing!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy! I'm glad you were able to get to the root of the problem, and hope the surgery goes well. Kudos to you for getting him to the vet quickly.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got news earlier today that the surgery went well, but he has to stay one more night. He was in a lot of pain earlier, but they increased his pain meds, so he was able to rest more comfortably.

I really don't like him having to stay there overnight after having surgery because there will be no one with him. The staff goes home by about 7:00. I guess I have no choice though. Hopefully, all will go well and I can get him tomorrow.

I bought a large dog crate that can easily accommodate a litter box, his favorite bed and his bowls. I bought a new litter box since the other one he has is hooded with a deep tray that he has to climb in to. I am hoping that he will still be able to use a litter box and not "go potty" on himself.

I am excited to bring him home, but I fear it will be a long two weeks with him being confined, especially when he starts to feel better and wants to get out and run around.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the litter box doesn't have a low curve for him to walk into, I have seen people cut one. Easier still might be the disposable litter boxes. They're pretty sturdy, but could be cut much easier. Hope everything goes okay.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Fortunately, he has been doing fine with the regular plastic litter tray. He has had loose stools for the past couple of days though. I'm going to ask the vet about it. I am giving him an antibiotic (forgot the name) as well as Tramadol for pain. I wonder if either of these meds could cause loose stools? I'm not even sure if he still needs the Tramadol because he doesn't seem to be in pain but you never know with cats.