I'm losing my Friend and Family Member Cami

bradmph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cami is a survivor that has strength no more. I need to tell his story and this is his.

After having to let go of my first cat and friend of over 14 years, I was lost. The pain was so hard on my heart and the only recovery was to fill this void we had. We searched everywhere for that coupled pair that could not be without each other. We located them on a site and fell in love as soon as we saw their photo. The problem was they were half way across the country and we needed them here with us. After contacting the owner we began the process to arrange their trip from Ohio to Washington State. There were many hurdles to get over and after a month of communication and arranging we finally had a date of arrival. The wife an I celebrated and started our recovery knowing that soon we will be given the chance to give our love to our new family members. We found names for them right away and came up with Cami & Niko.

The time finally came and everything was in line to have them shipped by plane to us. Things kept trying to delay this arrival like the weather. Animals cannot travel on planes in certain circumstances and the heat was riding the point of a delay. I was checking the weather for a change of one degree only so they could make their plane on schedule. I was staying up and watching every broadcast and prayed that they would be allowed to board their flight. Right before their flight we lost contact with the owners and we were unsure if they got the OK. We waited and waited until finally we got the call that they were on the plane and headed our way. I watched the plane travel on a Live flight map as their plane traveled over 1500 miles. As the plane got closer we rushed to the airport to greet them. While at the airport, I paced like an expecting father with a newborn on the way. Each plane coming in was thought to be them, until finally they arrived. It was so exciting I can't describe the feeling. The airlines handed us the carrier and we headed to the car. They were beautiful, 2 baby Siamese kittens and just as calm as can be after flying that distance with just themselves. Somehow they knew they were home and they relaxed and watched the final trip to home.

We got them in the door and I open the cage and they both cautiously exited the cage and I pointed them to the food and water and of course the box. They felt at home instantly and after a little time began to search their new home and explore. It was the most heart warming feeling ever and it picked our feelings back up from our prior loss. We couldn't get enough of these 2 and they were the perfect pair. Life was great and we had a family again. It was such a ball to watch them grow up and they were so warm. They were so intelligent and caring towards us it was amazing. They never scratch or tried to bite us and wanted to know everything about us as they watched us at every moment. They knew what got our attention and used it in such humorous ways that you couldn't get mad at them for anything. Niko was a shy little tiny girl and Cami was the caring one. Open and cuddly and so polite towards us and her. He always loved to have fun and never stop thinking of his partner in crime who joined right in on the tricks. Sometimes I felt they were raising us and not us raising them.

Time went on and they grew like weeds. We decided that they deserve a family also and let them bring one into this world. Yes they were on the young side still but, they were a great team. We let her go into heat a few times before we let them have a chance but, the day came and she got pregnant. It was a sight to see this young girl cat blowing up like a ball full of babies. She was a baby herself to us but knew what she was doing like a pro. She got bigger and bigger and Cami was such a caring cat with her. He watched her every moment  and finally one night her water broke and she went into labor. Oh God how wonderful you are for this incredible moment of new life. We sat with her the entire time and she was perfection. She delivered 6 beautiful kittens that looked bigger then herself when they were all balled together. She performed the ultimate miracle for us right before our eyes. All during her pregnancy Cami cleaned her and comforted her and finally his big reward, a family. These little furballs were such an adorable bunch. They were just like their parents except for one blue point who was a sort of bully of the bunch. He took a little longer to play nice, but Cami kept on him and taught him respect in a nice way. Cami was the father of the year that 2012. The birth of his family of six right on "Valentines Day", you can't ask for anything better then that. The kittens were just a site to see and the 2 months we got to have them was never to be forgotten.

Time moved on and it was time to find them homes. We made sure every owner was worth these kittens lives to raise. I wanted no worries when they took them home and cared for them. Each time a kitten or 2 were picked up, Cami and Niko were there to wish them well in their journey. These parents kept them relaxed and said their goodbyes as only they knew how and it went smooth thanks to them both. The last 2 were the hardest to say goodbye to, but it had to happen. Cami and Niko gave them the last bit of love they could and it was finally over for them. Finally the parents, Cami and Niko get to relax and enjoy themselves again. It took a bit but they were soon acting like kids again and running a muck like two high performance race cars.

Things were great here at home, we were a big happy family and everything looked like a long future was to be. We enjoyed the company that they gave us and us to them. We had them fixed and let things get to normal.

Shortly after getting Cami fixed, he began to look sick and just not himself. He began staying alone and I brought him back to the vet for a checkup. It was scary and the vet requested we do some blood test and other things to check him out thoroughly. Cami was such a strong boy and never did a thing wrong in his life. He was the most caring cat that I ever set my eyes on. He wouldn't hurt a fly and gave himself before anything. I wouldn't never imagined that he would get struck down by anything for many years into the future, but I was wrong. The vet diagnosed him with Leukemia and my anger and confusion and hurt just grabbed me with all it's claws. WHY CAMI? What happened, how he get it, where? I was confused and blind sided and started to do my research on this killer disease. Poor Cami, my little tough guy was hit hard and it looked bad. I was not about to let him go and I fought with him every moment. I thought the vet was wrong, not my cat. This isn't fair, Cami was a 100% inside cat, never even seen another cat in his life and how could of he caught this. Everything kept pointing towards his operation to be fixed, but could it be true. I wanted someone to blame and I sure the hell questioned each and every bit I could about it. Cami was healthy as a horse and was struck by this sickness from nowhere. He was sterile in my eyes because we kept them safe from any type of outside contact or possibilities of problems. The vet reassured us of their practices and were helpful with giving information I asked for to help me try and figure out what happened here. I have a personal vet that she is the only one I bring my animals to and she explained the disease and it's ways. I gained knowledge  about it with research and the hurt needed to be fixed. But, it was too late, Cami's diagnoses was fact and it was too late at this point to blame. We had to think about Cami and to try and get him the longest life he is able to have. I was sent home with a series of drugs for Cami. I did everything for my boy and he started to recover. I made myself believe he was cured, but in reality he was not and the disease lurked inside him waiting to rise again. Cami got sick once more and he recovered much quicker this time. I prayed and prayed to help him through these terrible times and Cami being the fighter for life would pull it together and beat it down again. I love him and he loved me I know. We wanted to be with each other and it was clear.

I watched him closely and he improved and just got stronger each time. He still found time to clown around and you could just tell when he was 100%. Cami and Niko would begin to play again and poor Cami just couldn't keep up with this girl. While running and playing he hurt his leg, the vet said it was a hairline fracture and to watch him. closely. I already do this, so now more? Ok. He limped around and it was so hurtful to watch this, but he got better. He had to slow down some, but he seem to be healing good and was recovering. Well, Cami the tough guy started thing he was invincible and banged his leg again. Time it musta really hurt because he took a break from the horse play and gave it up for the time. I would pick him up and take him to the food and water and his other duties for a couple weeks. I wasn't about to let him give up at all. Maybe I'm being selfish, but he isn't getting off the hook so easily. As time went on he got better and better. He stopped limping and was walking pretty good now. He has overcome this problem, he is a rock.

Shortly after this ordeal Cami developed something called a hematoma in his ear. It was terrible to see and looked painful. Cami ignore the dangers and just kept irritating it until it was out of control. I brought him into the vet and he had his first operation. He looked like a train wreck, no fur on ear, stitches and a sad face with a cone wrapped around it. Man did he hate that cone. He used it against Niko to irritate her with it. He made a recovery from this awful looking ear thing, right back into another one. It got worse too. He had it drained  and stitched and started to recover and whipped himself into a third one. What the heck, is he self destructing his ears. These last ones rewarded him about 30 stitches in his ear, but we figured out how to treat them. Bringing him to vet every week for about 2 months to have a few stitches removed each time. This was his trick to fix it. I worked with Cami day after day to relieve him of these hematomas and my hard work paid off, sort of. His ear was bent down and stopped directional muscles in it, but we saved it. Then he starts shaking his head again and gets one in his other ear. When does it end, please tell me when. In he goes for another operation. 30 stitches later and 2 months he is finally hematoma free. His poor ears are not so cute, but he still had them atleast and they never returned back. Finally we have that taken care of he makes a mistake one day to jump to our wood burning stove by accident. Oh, I watch it happen and the split second he touched it was enough to burn his pads on one foot pretty bad and the others were pink. My guy Cami is a walking disaster I am thinking. Leukemia will not get him, he will get himself. Crazy cat as he is healing from these burns, start biting the loose skin off his pads. WHAT!!!! I couldn't stop him and figured let nature take its course, he knows what he is doing now so let him fix it. He is stronger then me, I be a big baby with burnt fingers.

I was trying to figure out when is Cami going to get some enjoyment time in his life, I was beginning to wonder is he happy since he continues to have a problem one after another and so on. Well, it isn't over yet. A few months later Cami developed a yellow jaundice because his system is so screwed up from the Leukemia. His white blood cells are beating his red cells around and just making his system perform bad. He turns this terrible yellow color in his eyes and ears and mouth and just looks like death warmed over. I thought he was done for. Back to the vet and we managed to tame it and bring back his colors again, my gawd this cat can kick it all, maybe he can kick this killer too. Well, the killer is not called a killer for nothing. Cami, as strong as he is an angel starts feeling down again recently. He eats and drinks and he is losing body mass also. His bones are beginning to poke out a bit on his back and legs and I see some signs of no return. Tonight I just seen him jump out of his box and could barely walk with his rear legs. I'm pretty sure the cancer is winning now and I cried hard about it. Like I am right now typing this long letter to say goodbye. It's not fair damnit, not fair, why him...he doesn't deserve this pain and short life, I can't figure it out why he is chose to have to go through such ordeals like he has. He is the most wonderful friend in the world and it is just hurting me inside so bad that he has to leave me here without him. I just can't let him suffer anymore and I need to tell myself this and hope it doesn't make guilt in my heart. I love Cami with all my heart and it's so painful to have to take a family member and make the choice for him. DO I have this right? I hope I am doing the right thing....Niko will hurt too and I am falling apart at the seems.

Thank You everyone for listening to my story of my best friend. A piece of me will be gone when Cami takes his last breath in my arms today.

Bless my little guy Cami and his life long partner Niko, We will miss you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're losing your boy to this dread disease. His life was too short, but it sounds as if he packed a lot of love and experiences into it. May his passing be peaceful. RIP, Cami. :rbheart:

beiyan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Such a brave boy! He is now playing without pain..

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your beautiful boy this way.

Thank you for being strong enough to ease his pain and send him over the rainbow bridge.

Lots of love to you and Niko, I hope you can comfort each other.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart is breaking for you, words cannot convey how much pain there is when we lose one of our babies. You are providing a selfless and heroic act by taking on Cami's pain and letting him rest, he will know he is loved and cherished by the one he loves the most.The pain will come crashing back at times over the years, it takes a long time to heal a broken heart. You wrote a beautiful tribute for your Cami, I'm praying that you will have many years with Niko, who will miss her brother and will need you in the coming weeks. Please be gentle and patient with yourself, surround yourself with supportive people. I'll keep you all in my prayers. RIP beautiful Cami, you were so brave and so strong for so long!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness. My heart just breaks for you and your loss. Cami is such a handsome little boy 

I hope you come back to let us know how you are, because we're here for you 

Last edited:

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry your friend has passed on and I know your heart is so very heavy right now.   When we have to assist our furry friends in crossing over, it is not uncommon to feel guilt, or question if we are doing the right thing.  That is why a site like this is so important.  Do not feel guilty and yes, you did do the right thing.  The last kind act you can do for your pet is to stop their pain and suffering.   You loved and always will love Cami and that will never stop and he knew it.  It will take you awhile to bounce back but keep the memories close to your heart.  One thing that I did when I lost Sam and several years later, Maggie, was to put together a memory basket.  In their baskets are their food bowls, favourite toys, travelling towels, etc.  Every now and again, I will open their baskets and remember the wonderful times I had with each of them and now I can take comfort in knowing they are safe and not suffering.  I hope this helps and please, let us know how you are.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so terribly sorry for you loss. They are both such beautiful cats. I hope Niko and you can find consolation in each other.

koolkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your loss, your cats are very beautiful.

I just got my first cats and would be devastated if this happened.

RIP beautiful Cami