I'm Looking For A Good Carrier For My Cat.

basstone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will be doing some cross country travel some time in the near future. While we will have a travel trailer we believe that our cat (our first), needs to be in a carrier and feel comfortable while in it. There are many, but reviews on their quality is varied. He's about 13lbs. and I've read articles on training them to be comfortable while in their carrier, however, I need one that's well made and the appropriate size for him. He's an indoor cat and shy around people as he was frightened when he was a kitten and left on my front porch.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went with a hardsided BIG one, so that my boy can stand up/turn around if he wants to. The only thing is that it isn't a top load, so it's not really all that great at the vet - I pretty much have to tilt it and, if you'll pardon the phrase, dump him out/let him slide down and out.
There's this one, plus others that are advertised on the same page lower down. My thoughts would be hardsided, large enough, top load and airline accepted, but I don't know if there's one out there that fits all that plus your cat's needs LOL
The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

basstone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went with a hardsided BIG one, so that my boy can stand up/turn around if he wants to. The only thing is that it isn't a top load, so it's not really all that great at the vet - I pretty much have to tilt it and, if you'll pardon the phrase, dump him out/let him slide down and out.
There's this one, plus others that are advertised on the same page lower down. My thoughts would be hardsided, large enough, top load and airline accepted, but I don't know if there's one out there that fits all that plus your cat's needs LOL
The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser
Thankyou!

Shikaslate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we got the Sleepypod carrier for my kitten. The standard one--which I got--holds up to 15lbs and they have another one that fits up to 18lbs. The carriers can withstand a 30mph car crash when strapped in correctly. There are some comparison videos you can watch on youtube by searching pet carrier crash tests. It doubles as a bed, easy to clean, and every ounce of it feels like high quality luggage. Easily the yuppiest thing I ever bought as it has a hefty price tag haha

Our kitten likes it and we've taken her to the vet and pet store in it without any issues. Its definitely a safe space for her.

But I'll be honest--she prefers to hang out in just the lid part lol!

Whatever carrier you decide to buy, I think its best to leave the carrier out at all times instead of only taking it out whenever you need to put the cat in it.

toaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we got the Sleepypod carrier for my kitten. The standard one--which I got--holds up to 15lbs and they have another one that fits up to 18lbs. The carriers can withstand a 30mph car crash when strapped in correctly. There are some comparison videos you can watch on youtube by searching pet carrier crash tests. It doubles as a bed, easy to clean, and every ounce of it feels like high quality luggage. Easily the yuppiest thing I ever bought as it has a hefty price tag haha

Our kitten likes it and we've taken her to the vet and pet store in it without any issues. Its definitely a safe space for her.

But I'll be honest--she prefers to hang out in just the lid part lol!

Whatever carrier you decide to buy, I think its best to leave the carrier out at all times instead of only taking it out whenever you need to put the cat in it.
I JUST purchased one of these today! And tonight I took my kitten to the vet in her other carrier and ripped a whole in it. Fingers crossed this one holds up better.

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a cool carrier! I have to say, it Looks expensive! Hope your cat can't escape from that carrier since it has a zipper. One time I bought a couple of cheap carriers with zippers and Shadow was able to pull open the zipper and get out. That was when they were younger. So I bought these heavy duty carriers at Pet Smart, and they were the best purchase ever! Once I put the cats inside their carriers, they can't get out! ;) I found a picture of the carriers we bought for the cats. Here is a link to a picture I found on a website. These work well for us. :)

Google Express

Shikaslate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
rascalshadownj2 rascalshadownj2 yeah the zippers on this thing are pretty heavy duty. Doubtful that she can get out if she wanted to but she likes being in there anyway lol. It stays out all the time so its one of her beds now haha

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've been using Catit carriers for years (ever since I was a little kid, actually!). We actually buy the Catit/Dogit ones, which have a ton of room even for big cats. For long journeys, we pop in some padding covered with puppy pee pads in case of accidents (or stick baby diapers to the base to give absorption and padding in one). These carriers are air travel rated, too so are definitely designed for long journeys
76616 - Dogit Voyageur Dog Carrier- Gray/Gray, Medium (56.5 cm L x 37.6 cm W x 30.8 cm H / 22in x 14.8in x 12in).

I know posiepurrs posiepurrs , who does a lot of travelling to shows, actually uses dog crates rather than carriers, complete with comfy bedding and a litterbox/tray for use whilst on the road.

Hope this helps :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using this type of crate:Dog Crates: Small to Large Dogs, Low Prices - Free Shipping | Chewy
Since Sterling hurt his eye on the wire I changed him to this type: Pop-Up Kennel - Small, Double
He is also happier in this one since he can't see as much. Came liked the more open wire crate as she liked to watch traffic. By the way Sterlings eye is fine. There is room in either one for a litter box and bed.
While the Sturdi Car-go shelter is a lot more expensive it can be buckled in with the seat belts making it safer in my opinion. It is easier to fold up and can even be taken into hotel rooms at night.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have this one (from Amazon and lots of other places):

(Never mind, that link totally didn't work....but it's the Petmate Two Door Top Load Dog Kennel if you search Amazon....I have the 24 inch size)

It's huge! But I think that's a good thing, because the cat doesn't feel cramped in it. It has the top-loading door which is helpful for uncooperative cats....mine, however, will just walk right in the open front door if you put a handful of treats in there!

Plenty of room for the cat to move around, which is useful for long car trips, but not so useful when trying to carry the carrier with a squirming cat inside.